Johnny Carson Gives $156 Million to Charity From Beyond the Grave

1. "To begin with, charitable giving in America has never been the exclusive province of wealthy people. Throughout our history, Americans from all walks of life have given generously for charitable causes. Indeed, the most generous Americans today—the group that gives the most to charity as a proportion of their income—are the working poor.

2. Today, Americans voluntarily give over $30 billion a year to support higher education, and—thanks in part to philanthropy—America has the best colleges and universities in the world. Even our great flagship state universities depend on private contributions for much of their excellence.

3. Private charitable giving is also at the heart and soul of public discourse in our democracy. It makes possible our great think tanks, whether left, right or center. Name a great issue of public debate today: climate change, the role of government in health care, school choice, stem cell research, same-sex marriage. On all these issues, private philanthropy enriches debate by enabling organizations with diverse viewpoints to articulate and spread their message.

4. We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01
(emphasis mine)

You may have been misled in your view by looking at the charitable record of our Democrat leaders.

There's more right than left on this board. Awhile back I did a thread on USMB members who ongoing contribute to charity and what they're favorite charity was. There was like 4-5 responses, and you weren't one of 'em!:lol:

I'm not sure who your leaders are on this board, but the "Democrat leaders' to whom I was referring were President Obama and Vice-President Biden, who have truly parsimonious records when it comes to chartity for the less fortunate.

While I don't recall the thread you mention, my charitable contributions, which far outweigh the two elected officials above, are not relevant to this discussion.

Since very few walk their talk, I hope you have the wherewithal, whatever the amount, to donate on-going to a charity of choice.
But, I ain't askin'.
Especially since you deemed it irrelevant, and all.

There's more right than left on this board. Awhile back I did a thread on USMB members who ongoing contribute to charity and what they're favorite charity was. There was like 4-5 responses, and you weren't one of 'em!:lol:

I'm not sure who your leaders are on this board, but the "Democrat leaders' to whom I was referring were President Obama and Vice-President Biden, who have truly parsimonious records when it comes to chartity for the less fortunate.

While I don't recall the thread you mention, my charitable contributions, which far outweigh the two elected officials above, are not relevant to this discussion.

Since very few walk their talk, I hope you have the wherewithal, whatever the amount, to donate on-going to a charity of choice.
But, I ain't askin'.

I never say anything that isn't the truth...and since you seem so interested, my charity of choice is 'City Meals on Wheels," here in NYC.

It provides and delivers meals for the indigent elderly.

Should you agree with this choice: Citymeals-on-Wheels: Delivering Meals on Wheels to Seniors in Need

Further, it was an excellent sign of forbearence on your part not to question this part of the post:
"President Obama and Vice-President Biden, who have truly parsimonious records when it comes to chartity for the less fortunate."

But, I ain't askin'.

I never say anything that isn't the truth...and since you seem so interested, my charity of choice is 'City Meals on Wheels," here in NYC.

It provides and delivers meals for the indigent elderly.

Should you agree with this choice: Citymeals-on-Wheels: Delivering Meals on Wheels to Seniors in Need

Further, it was an excellent sign of forbearence on your part not to question this part of the post:
"President Obama and Vice-President Biden, who have truly parsimonious records when it comes to chartity for the less fortunate."

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Johnny Carson Gives $156 Million to Charity From Beyond the Grave - Yahoo! TV Blog

Johnny Carson may have died in 2005, but tax filings uncovered by the Smoking Gun this week show the legendary "Tonight Show" host became Hollywood's biggest philanthropist last year.

Tax returns filed in May for the fiscal year ending in June show that Carson quietly arranged for a donation of $156 million to his charitable trust, the John W. Carson Foundation. This donation makes Carson's foundation Hollywood's largest in terms of assets. The New York Post cites another large foundation -- that of record producer David Geffen's -- by way of contrast: It doles out money from "only" $80 million in assets.

According to the Smoking Gun, Carson's foundation, which is overseen by a financial management team, has doled out or earmarked gifts to the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles free clinic, and Planned Parenthood, among others.

Figured this would be a cool story to share. :cool:

Excellent! It's a great time for it too, charities are hurting right now.

Forum List

Back