John Stossel: Let's Chill Out On Global Warming...

"Environmentalists assume that as people get richer and use more energy, they pollute more. The opposite is true. As nations industrialize, they pay more attention to pollution. Around the world, it's the most prosperous nations that now have the cleanest air and water."

I've waded through the propaganda quagmire for years. And i've concluded that it would be wise to look to the Sun for answers. That's just my take anyway.

Last edited:
"Industrialization allows people to use fewer resources. Instead of burning trees for power, we make electricity from natural gas. We figure out how to get more food from smaller pieces of land. And one day we'll probably even invent energy sources more efficient than oil and gas."

Its nothing but a control tool the progressives want to dictate your life to you. Hacked emails is my response to any brainwashed believer of man-made warming.

CO2 absorbs energy. The amount in the atmosphere has been going up with no known natural cause. If those facts don't indicate a possibility of AGW, please explain why not. PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

I don't pretend to be a scientist however my sister is and will tell you they can get the data the government wants to keep those grants coming. I'm also a believer in the Creator and I'm certain God has prepared for us whom he created. The earth cooled and warmed over and over without us so......:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Even if all Americans replaced cars with bicycles, switched to fluorescent light bulbs, got solar water heaters, etc., it would have no discernible effect on the climate. China builds a new coal-fueled power plant almost every week; each one obliterates any carbon reduction from all our windmills and solar panels.

China is burning all that coal to make our iPhones and PCs and laptops and air conditioners and those fluorescent light bubls and solar water heaters and bicycles and cement and so forth that we buy from them. :)

Externalities.

Last edited:
I agree with Stossel that changing to CFLs and other things like that is stupid. I also believe that the green movement is just the same old anti-capitalist liberal hags with new war paint on.

But I like clean air and water. When I was a kid, you could taste both. The green movement did a lot of good changing that.

I love natural gas and what a terrific economic boon it is bringing to our economy, but I don't want fracking chemicals turning up in my endocrine or lymphatic systems, you know what I mean?

Being environmentally conscious and a moneymaking economy are not mutually exclusive. And we have to accept the fact that some people will poison us in their quest for the big bucks if we don't force them to behave.

Even if all Americans replaced cars with bicycles, switched to fluorescent light bulbs, got solar water heaters, etc., it would have no discernible effect on the climate. China builds a new coal-fueled power plant almost every week; each one obliterates any carbon reduction from all our windmills and solar panels.

China is burning all that coal to make our iPhones and PCs and laptops and air conditioners and those fluorescent light bubls and solar water heaters and bicycles and cement and so forth that we buy from them. :)

Externalities.
Why is it that the externalities of imposing onerous environmental and economic mandates upon American industry never seems to get brought into the conversation?

Externalities.
Why is it that the externalities of imposing onerous environmental and economic mandates upon American industry never seems to get brought into the conversation?

It does get into the conversation. Unfortunately, you have bozos who think only in black and white. They believe ALL regulations are bad. This is evidenced by the fact they start topics bitching about how much regulations cost business, implying all regulations are bad because they don't parse out the cost of good regulations which actually benefit the economy and business.

The proverbial throwing out of the baby with the toxic bathwater.

Last edited:
I agree with Stossel that changing to CFLs and other things like that is stupid. I also believe that the green movement is just the same old anti-capitalist liberal hags with new war paint on.

But I like clean air and water. When I was a kid, you could taste both. The green movement did a lot of good changing that.

I love natural gas and what a terrific economic boon it is bringing to our economy, but I don't want fracking chemicals turning up in my endocrine or lymphatic systems, you know what I mean?

Being environmentally conscious and a moneymaking economy are not mutually exclusive. And we have to accept the fact that some people will poison us in their quest for the big bucks if we don't force them to behave.

In my opinion, concerning industrial waste, is that the government must be both pro-active and working with the industry. That is why Obama closing Yucca Mountain to please Harry Reid really made me wonder about his concern for the country. The government now needs to get ahead of fracking. They need to ensure that citizens water supplies are protected. They need to ensure that those who violate environmental laws are severely punished. But they must make the laws workable.

"Environmentalists assume that as people get richer and use more energy, they pollute more. The opposite is true. As nations industrialize, they pay more attention to pollution. Around the world, it's the most prosperous nations that now have the cleanest air and water."

I think they got that thought by observing Al Gore's use of energy.

In my area when I was a kid day would sometimes turn dark due o pollution. Not no more. I would like to say it was because of the EPA or he greens but mostly it is because the steel mills are now gone.

If serious warming occurs, we can adjust? It demonstrates a certain lack of logical thinking to say that AGW proponents can't prove their contentions and then finish off with a statement that's even less so! :eusa_eh:

Mankind has always adjusted to their environment. It has been done before. Either you adapt, or you go extinct. It's not anymore complicated than that. The hysterical religious zeal over Climate Change just isn't necessary. Too many have made the issue a religious and political pursuit. Many approach the issue with Cult-like hysteria. The Planet warms, the Planet cools. That's just the way it is, was, and always will be.

Yeah, but the trick is to do it without a billion or so dying along the way.

If serious warming occurs, we can adjust? It demonstrates a certain lack of logical thinking to say that AGW proponents can't prove their contentions and then finish off with a statement that's even less so! :eusa_eh:

Mankind has always adjusted to their environment. It has been done before. Either you adapt, or you go extinct. It's not anymore complicated than that. The hysterical religious zeal over Climate Change just isn't necessary. Too many have made the issue a religious and political pursuit. Many approach the issue with Cult-like hysteria. The Planet warms, the Planet cools. That's just the way it is, was, and always will be.

Yeah, but the trick is to do it without a billion or so dying along the way.

That could happen anyway. 'Global Warming' may not have anything to do with it though. Mass Extinctions are actually common on Earth. It's happened before, and it's likely to happen again. Mankind will either adapt to their changing environment, or it'll go the way of the Dinosaur. It is what it is.

I doubt humanity will ever get that chance. We're much more likely to destroy ourselves well before we'll ever fact an environmental crisis.

Yes, i tend to agree with Scientists who attribute warming and cooling more to Sun activity.

Even though they've shown no evidence other than wishful thinking to back up their claims?

Your politics drive what science you want to accept. Global warming would require collective solutions, libertarianism says collective solutions are never necessary, therefore any libertarian in good standing is required to downplay global warming.

In contrast, the rational side looked at the data first and only, never considered politics, and figured out global warming was being caused by humans. You never see anyone on the rational side bringing up Al Gore -- that kind of politicizing the issue comes purely from the right. The denialist cult and the fringe right are exactly the same people, because global warming denialism is entirely a political movement, one that has never had anything to do with the science.

Externalities.

It does get into the conversation. Unfortunately, you have bozos who think only in black and white. They believe ALL regulations are bad. This is evidenced by the fact they start topics bitching about how much regulations cost business, implying all regulations are bad because they don't parse out the cost of good regulations which actually benefit the economy and business.

The proverbial throwing out of the baby with the toxic bathwater.
Then you have the crowd that believes that you can ameliorate any and every situation with more regulations and bigger bureaucracies. The EPA is a prime example.

And you certainly can throw out the baby with the bathwater, when it's Rosemary's baby.

Yes, i tend to agree with Scientists who attribute warming and cooling more to Sun activity.

Even though they've shown no evidence other than wishful thinking to back up their claims?

Your politics drive what science you want to accept. Global warming would require collective solutions, libertarianism says collective solutions are never necessary, therefore any libertarian in good standing is required to downplay global warming.

In contrast, the rational side looked at the data first and only, never considered politics, and figured out global warming was being caused by humans. You never see anyone on the rational side bringing up Al Gore -- that kind of politicizing the issue comes purely from the right. The denialist cult and the fringe right are exactly the same people, because global warming denialism is entirely a political movement, one that has never had anything to do with the science.

Like i said earlier, i've waded through the propaganda quagmire. And i've come to the conclusion it's best to look to the Sun for answers. Someday that will likely be the accepted view of the majority. It often takes several years for scientific conclusions to be accepted by the majority. Just my take on this issue anyway.

Forum List

Back