John McEnroe: if Serena Williams played men's tennis, she would be ranked dead last

Last edited:

History repeats itself, aye?

Flashback to Bille Jean King (dyke) vs Bobby Riggs.

She won.

But Riggs had been out of pro tennis for decades before playing here and was way over the hill when he played that match.

Riggs was a hustler at that point in his life, not a tennis pro.

Isn't McEnroe a commentator/judge at this point in life?

I could use some tennis in my life.

I don't know crap about Tennis.

But I guarantee a 98mph buzzing her dome would insure she would never get off a single decent swing.

She would not be able to drive a Golf ball 300 yards on the fly uphill into the wind. Or get out of deep rough to a green 180 yards away (consistently). Most men Pro Golfers can.

Yet, every show now has a woman announcer telling us how "it is" these days. Call me old-fashioned.....

They look great..........(sideline reporters) hotter than all get out. But enough is enough.

All that said........I doubt Brent MussBurger ever took 98mph to the ribs either? you got that right. Maybe they should be announcers? Whey not? Wear that skirt Carmen........wear it tight.

Sorry, you seem to be right about not knowing about tennis.

Women can serve well over 100mph. They are actually pretty close to the men in serve speed, apparently. Science Explains Why Female Tennis Players Can Serve As Fast As Men

From the same article, apparently the best average drives in the LPGA are a bit better than the worst of the PGA. The LPGA ranges from 226 to just over 280, while the PGA goes from 270 to 312. A bit more of a gap there. Average Driving Distance | LPGA | Ladies Professional Golf Association Stat – Driving Distance

I can only guess that tennis serves are more technique-oriented, where raw power is less important.

Yes, men are more powerful on average. I'm not sure how great an advantage that would be in tennis, at least when considering a top athlete like Serena Williams. I'm more curious about how she, and other women tennis pros, would do in a best-of-5 setting, rather than best-of-3.

Actually men serve the ball around 30 mph faster than women.

No one was claiming "every male tennis player would beat" the hippo you moron!
The claim was referring to men professional tennis players!

But doesnt the fact that the two Williams sisters are probably the best FEMALE tennis pros in history count for something?
Remember a few years ago when the women's professional tennis federation decided to random drug test every professional female tennis player?
The William's sisters sat out an entire year refusing to be drug tested.
When the drug testing stopped the 'sisters' went back to competing.
Goggle it.

That would go with most women and most sports. As a side note I am not a big fan of Serena, She is untalented, and can hardly move with those T-Rex thighs, and I don't like her demeanor on the court. Unlike her sister Venus who is both talented and classy. In fact Serena owes her entire career to her sister. The only reason she dominates in women's tennis is her abnormal strength as a woman.

Last edited:

But I guarantee a 98mph buzzing her dome would insure she would never get off a single decent swing.

She would not be able to drive a Golf ball 300 yards on the fly uphill into the wind. Or get out of deep rough to a green 180 yards away (consistently). Most men Pro Golfers can.

Yet, every show now has a woman announcer telling us how "it is" these days. Call me old-fashioned.....

They look great..........(sideline reporters) hotter than all get out. But enough is enough.

All that said........I doubt Brent MussBurger ever took 98mph to the ribs either? you got that right. Maybe they should be announcers? Whey not? Wear that skirt Carmen........wear it tight.

Women can serve well over 100mph. They are actually pretty close to the men in serve speed, apparently. Science Explains Why Female Tennis Players Can Serve As Fast As Men

From the same article, apparently the best average drives in the LPGA are a bit better than the worst of the PGA. The LPGA ranges from 226 to just over 280, while the PGA goes from 270 to 312. A bit more of a gap there. Average Driving Distance | LPGA | Ladies Professional Golf Association Stat – Driving Distance

I can only guess that tennis serves are more technique-oriented, where raw power is less important.

Yes, men are more powerful on average. I'm not sure how great an advantage that would be in tennis, at least when considering a top athlete like Serena Williams. I'm more curious about how she, and other women tennis pros, would do in a best-of-5 setting, rather than best-of-3.

And probably just as fast in the ground strokes.

No one was claiming "every male tennis player would beat" the hippo you moron!
The claim was referring to men professional tennis players!

But doesnt the fact that the two Williams sisters are probably the best FEMALE tennis pros in history count for something?
Remember a few years ago when the women's professional tennis federation decided to random drug test every professional female tennis player?
The William's sisters sat out an entire year refusing to be drug tested.
When the drug testing stopped the 'sisters' went back to competing.
Goggle it.
Bull

You're giving tennis lessons and say stupid shit like that? Last I watched men were clocking 120 and even 130mph regularly. Up to five sets. Tennis used to be more of atouch game but is very much a power game now. That why Williams is dominating so much, she's a beast of a woman.

I'm not "giving tennis lessons," I was pointing out that a "98 mph buzzing her dome" is something women tennis players already deal with, as the top speed serves of women are nearly as fast as the top speed serves of men (depending on whether you accept the 160+ mph that one guy supposedly got in a non-pro match).

It depends on which men and women. That might be true on average, I haven't seen numbers for that, and from what I read there are no "official" numbers. The top women are faster than some of the men, though, including high ranking men. For example, Sabine Lisicki had a higher top speed serve in the 2014 US Open than at least 29 of the men. Williams had an average first serve speed of 108 mph at the same Open, which was higher than the 12th seeded man and the same as the 10th seeded man.

I'm not claiming women are as powerful as men, they clearly are not. I was surprised at how close the top speed serves among women are to the men, though; I expected more of that 30 mph gap you mentioned.

That would go with most women and most sports. As a side note I am not a big fan of Serena, She is untalented, and can hardly move with those T-Rex thighs, and I don't like her demeanor on the court. Unlike her sister Venus who is both talented and classy. In fact Serena owes her entire career to her sister. The only reason she dominates in women's tennis is her abnormal strength as a woman.

Yeah, you can hardly move with big thighs! Just look at Michael Chang........wait........ ;)

It depends on which men and women. That might be true on average, I haven't seen numbers for that, and from what I read there are no "official" numbers. The top women are faster than some of the men, though, including high ranking men. For example, Sabine Lisicki had a higher top speed serve in the 2014 US Open than at least 29 of the men. Williams had an average first serve speed of 108 mph at the same Open, which was higher than the 12th seeded man and the same as the 10th seeded man.

I'm not claiming women are as powerful as men, they clearly are not. I was surprised at how close the top speed serves among women are to the men, though; I expected more of that 30 mph gap you mentioned.

Using the numbers of the top players of men's and women's tennis the average is around 30 mph and in some cases higher.

Yeah, you can hardly move with big thighs! Just look at Michael Chang........wait........ ;)
Most top players in both men's and women's are all lean and limber, look at Djokovic, Federer, Zverev etc. you want to be light so can glide smoothly. Big thighs are more of a hindrance after a certain point, considering you have more mass to move around. Serena clearly has issues with her movement, big thighs or not. However, the big thighs in her case are a double edged sword, it also clearly gives her all that power she gets on her ground strokes and serve.

Most top players in both men's and women's are all lean and limber, look at Djokovic, Federer, Zverev etc. you want to be light so can glide smoothly. Big thighs are more of a hindrance after a certain point, considering you have more mass to move around. Serena clearly has issues with her movement, big thighs or not. However, the big thighs in her case are a double edged sword, it also clearly gives her all that power she gets on her ground strokes and serve.

I just thought it was funny because Chang was well known as a back line player. His strength was his ability to move and get to the ball wherever it was hit, and he had some damn thick thighs. :)

I just thought it was funny because Chang was well known as a back line player. His strength was his ability to move and get to the ball wherever it was hit, and he had some damn thick thighs. :)
That is true, but how long did he last? Not much, considering he was injured most of the time and then retired prematurely. That kind of body style generally makes you very stiff and more succeptible to wear and tear, while thinner guys like Djokovic and Federer are built to last, very flexible like ballerinas.

Chang Breaks Hip in Freak Mishap : Tennis: World's fifth-ranked player suffers injury during practice for exhibition. He might be out for eight weeks.

Thinner/lighter means less body mass to accelerate/decelerate.
Simple math.
Every professional male tennis player is used to receiving serves coming at them at 100MPH. They have been receiving and returning serves at that speed since they were like thirteen.
The Williams sisters would collapse from exhaustion after the first set if they played virtually any male professional. He'd have them running up to the tent from the baseline so many times they'd just give up.

That is true, but how long did he last? Not much, considering he was injured most of the time and then retired prematurely. That kind of body style generally makes you very stiff and more succeptible to wear and tear, while thinner guys like Djokovic and Federer are built to last, very flexible like ballerinas.

Chang Breaks Hip in Freak Mishap : Tennis: World's fifth-ranked player suffers injury during practice for exhibition. He might be out for eight weeks.

Meh, he played professionally for 15 years. That doesn't seem like a particularly short stint. He also ended with a singles record of 662-312. Again, doesn't seem like that short of a career. It's almost the same total of games played as Pete Sampras, who had a career record of 762-222, and actually played for a bit less time than Chang: both turned pro in 1988, but Sampras retired in 2002 while Chang retired in 2003 (Sampras officially retired in 2003, but his last match was 2002).

It's true that more mass tends to mean less endurance. That can certainly be important in a sport like tennis. Chang seemed to be fine with his big thighs, though, even if that is the exception rather than the rule.

Meh, he played professionally for 15 years. That doesn't seem like a particularly short stint. He also ended with a singles record of 662-312. Again, doesn't seem like that short of a career. It's almost the same total of games played as Pete Sampras, who had a career record of 762-222, and actually played for a bit less time than Chang: both turned pro in 1988, but Sampras retired in 2002 while Chang retired in 2003 (Sampras officially retired in 2003, but his last match was 2002).

It's true that more mass tends to mean less endurance. That can certainly be important in a sport like tennis. Chang seemed to be fine with his big thighs, though, even if that is the exception rather than the rule.
What does it matter?

Serena Williams has huge thighs, ass and biceps and destroys her competition
She has been rarely injured in her career

Agreed, Chang probably needed the extra power in his thighs (which gave him the necessary speed) because he was very short, comparatively. That could also be the reason his hip fractured during an exhibition game.

What does it matter?

She's a brute, and no apology is necessary for saying that she would get her ass kicked by any of the top 20 in the mens tournament.

What does it matter?

She's a brute, and no apology is necessary for saying that she would get her ass kicked by any of the top 20 in the mens tournament.

I agree, but I would really like to see her play a lower ranked men's player. It wouldn't be some sort of definitive measurement, but it would be interesting to see the top women's player against a men's player who isn't retired and out of shape! :lol: I'd also love to see the women do best-of-5 instead of best-of-3. I've wanted that since back in the Navratilova days.

I have never paid attention to doubles matches, do you know how the women perform in mixed doubles? Do they appear to be a lot less capable than the men in those games?

Forum List

Back