Joe Vs. Harry

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), a former Democrat who backed John McCain for president, is expected to meet with Majority Leader Harry Reid later this week to discuss Lieberman’s fate in the Senate Democratic Caucus. A senior Democratic aide said that Lieberman’s chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hangs in the balance.

“I can’t see how he keeps the chairmanship for that committee, but they will talk and part of the discussion will focus on Lieberman’s actions during the presidential campaign,” the aide said. “In fact, a large portion of the conversation will” focus on that.
Lieberman to discuss fate with Reid - John Bresnahan and Ryan Grim - Politico.com

It would appear that Harry Reid is not wasting anytime in kicking people to the curb. I wonder though if this is a wise move on his part considering that should Joe Lieberman decided to caucus with the Republicans that will be one less seat and even more opportunity for Republicans to fillabuster.

Sounds like textbook partisan bullshit to me. I don't have an answer for them, but rewarding friends and punishing enemies is textbook partisan politics.

There has got to be a better way...

-Joe

The democrats in his state no longer felt that he represented them.

As The Godfather quote goes, "It's nothing personal, just business."

no, the activists in his state felt he had to pay for not marching in lockstep and went with another candidate. then he kicked the ass of the know nothing dilletante they put up against him in a big way. i'm pretty sure those were democrats voting for him.

as the saying goes, "payback's a bitch."

And you can't blame the DNC for trying to get their guy a job.

It's not the DNC fault that a majority of CT Democrats no longer wanted Joe Lieberman.

Besides, Joe Lieberman only decided to causus against Democrats (unless I stand corrected) only after he lost the primary.

If that is the case, that is him being bitter.

I don't expect him to win if he runs again.

Robert, Joe Caucuses with the Democrats , he is an Independant. As such by doing so he gives in the last he was the Chair of Homeland Security. If he is booted out of the democrat caucus and sides with the Republicans then thats just one more person and one less on the Democrat side and it plays right into the fillabuster issue.

It's not the DNC fault that a majority of CT Democrats no longer wanted Joe Lieberman.

Besides, Joe Lieberman only decided to causus against Democrats (unless I stand corrected) only after he lost the primary.

He never caucused against the Democrats. He caucused with them even after the DNC Roved him during the Primary. They betrayed him by not supporting him during the primary. He beat them in the general and still decided to support the party he loved. This is a case of the Democrats being bitter because they tried to end his career and he beat them. I fully expect him to keepthat seat for as long as he wnts it. The people of Conneticut clearly spoke. They love them some Joe.

he never caucused against the democrats. he'll win as long as he chooses to keep running.

Since Senate Democrats probably will not end up with the six to seven seats that many political experts forecast, they won’t have the big margin of control on panels that they were hoping for over the last several weeks. For instance, if Democrats had gotten to 57 or 58 seats without counting Lieberman, they would have had a three-vote margin on the powerful Appropriations Committee. But if Lieberman joined the Senate GOP Conference, Democrats would have only 55 votes in the chamber, giving them less room to flex their muscle on Appropriations and other Senate panels.

Sounds like textbook partisan bullshit to me. I don't have an answer for them, but rewarding friends and punishing enemies is textbook partisan politics.

There has got to be a better way...

-Joe

Well of course the winner of a election is going to be rewarding the people who worked with him while the people who were his moral enemies aren't going to be rewarded.

Have we ever have a Republican or Democrat who won the election give their opponent a position in their cabinet? Obviously not as far as I can remember.

I don't think Joe Lieberman should be thrown out of the party or lose his seat.

For some to sit there and say Joe Lieberman was completely innocent in this is bullshit. You cannot expect the DNC to just give up on their candidate in the senate race because Joe Lieberman didn't win the primary.

Don't get me wrong, I think Joe Lieberman is a good guy and I agree with him obviously on alot of things but neither side hands are clean in this.

Don't forget, Joe went back on his word from 2006 in 2008.

Last edited:
It would appear that Harry Reid is not wasting anytime in kicking people to the curb. I wonder though if this is a wise move on his part considering that should Joe Lieberman decided to caucus with the Republicans that will be one less seat and even more opportunity for Republicans to fillabuster.

There are always political consequences for backing the wrong horse and Lieberman knew that before publicly backing McCain. Lieberman took out his revenge on being abandoned by the Democrat Party when he was running for re-election by becoming an independent and backing the Republican this time - and Democrats will take their revenge now. Even if Reid exacts a harsh consequence for it, he knows that Lieberman will still be voting with the Dems most of the time anyway and there isn't likely going to be any blowback on the Dems for it.

Well of course the winner of a election is going to be rewarding the people who worked with him while the people who were his moral enemies aren't going to be rewarded.

Have we ever have a Republican or Democrat who won the election give their opponent a position in their cabinet? Obviously not as far as I can remember.

I don't think Joe Lieberman should be thrown out of the party or lose his seat.

For some to sit there and say Joe Lieberman was completely innocent in this is bullshit. You cannot expect the DNC to just give up on their candidate in the senate race because Joe Lieberman didn't win the primary.

Don't get me wrong, I think Joe Lieberman is a good guy and I agree with him obviously on alot of things but neither side hands are clean in this.

Don't forget, Joe went back on his word from 2006 in 2008.

it takes young legs to do this kind of backpedaling. your previous posts would indicate that you think lieberman got what he deserved.

bill cohen was clinton's SecDef after serving in the house and senate as a republican.

ned lamont was a classic empty suit who financed his own campaign to the tune of $12.7MM. he's an heir to the j.p. morgan fortune so he earned his money the old fashioned way-he inherited it.

the DNC sought to punish lieberman for voting his conscience by backing this asshat. fuck em.

joe did a lot better by the dems than they ever did by him.

Joe Lieberman shouldn't expect to betray his party when it suits him then expect to act like a Democrat the rest of the time. He is already voting with the republicans on certain issues and if he goes and votes Republicans on the others then he'll end up like the rest of the congresspeople who are Republican in New England come next relection. Gone.

Lets face the facts, Joe backed the wrong horse and now he has to pay up for it like any other man in his position.

You have it wrong, the Democrats screwed Lieberman. Maybe you were just to young to remember WHY he is now an Independant and not a Democrat?

There are always political consequences for backing the wrong horse and Lieberman knew that before publicly backing McCain. Lieberman took out his revenge on being abandoned by the Democrat Party when he was running for re-election by becoming an independent and backing the Republican this time - and Democrats will take their revenge now. Even if Reid exacts a harsh consequence for it, he knows that Lieberman will still be voting with the Dems most of the time anyway and there isn't likely going to be any blowback on the Dems for it.

While I can't disagree with the fact that there are political consequences for supporting the losing candidate in any election, in this case it does have the possibility to cut both ways. While, I do agree that Joe will most likely vote for those things he believes in be it Democrat or Republican , more than likely along moderate lines, Reid in this case is cutting his nose off to spit his face. Everyone knows it's a numbers game in the Senate, and the more your numbers no matter how you count your caucus the more power you have. In a Senate that is so close to giving Reid the power to ram through legislation at his choosing it is unwise at the very least to up and give the boot to any members of the democrat caucus IMO. However, I never credited Reid with much intelligence anyway, so this does not surprise me much.

Forum List

Back