Joe Vs. Harry

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), a former Democrat who backed John McCain for president, is expected to meet with Majority Leader Harry Reid later this week to discuss Lieberman’s fate in the Senate Democratic Caucus. A senior Democratic aide said that Lieberman’s chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hangs in the balance.

“I can’t see how he keeps the chairmanship for that committee, but they will talk and part of the discussion will focus on Lieberman’s actions during the presidential campaign,” the aide said. “In fact, a large portion of the conversation will” focus on that.
Lieberman to discuss fate with Reid - John Bresnahan and Ryan Grim - Politico.com

It would appear that Harry Reid is not wasting anytime in kicking people to the curb. I wonder though if this is a wise move on his part considering that should Joe Lieberman decided to caucus with the Republicans that will be one less seat and even more opportunity for Republicans to fillabuster.

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), a former Democrat who backed John McCain for president, is expected to meet with Majority Leader Harry Reid later this week to discuss Lieberman’s fate in the Senate Democratic Caucus. A senior Democratic aide said that Lieberman’s chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hangs in the balance.

“I can’t see how he keeps the chairmanship for that committee, but they will talk and part of the discussion will focus on Lieberman’s actions during the presidential campaign,” the aide said. “In fact, a large portion of the conversation will” focus on that.
Lieberman to discuss fate with Reid - John Bresnahan and Ryan Grim - Politico.com

It would appear that Harry Reid is not wasting anytime in kicking people to the curb. I wonder though if this is a wise move on his part considering that should Joe Lieberman decided to caucus with the Republicans that will be one less seat and even more opportunity for Republicans to fillabuster.

no one ever accused harry reid of being smart.

Joe Lieberman shouldn't expect to betray his party when it suits him then expect to act like a Democrat the rest of the time. He is already voting with the republicans on certain issues and if he goes and votes Republicans on the others then he'll end up like the rest of the congresspeople who are Republican in New England come next relection. Gone.

Lets face the facts, Joe backed the wrong horse and now he has to pay up for it like any other man in his position.

Last edited:
This story has been cooking for some time now, but it seems rather a silly move on the part of Harry Reid to even consider sending Joe packing. However, Harry Reid has never been one to be credited with a whole lot of common sense when it comes to running the Senate in the first place.

Joe Lieberman shouldn't expect to betray his party when it suits him then expect to act like a Democrat the rest of the time. He is already voting with the republicans on certain issues and if he goes and votes Republicans on the others then he'll end up like the rest of the congresspeople who are Republican in New England come next relection. Gone.

Lets face the facts, Joe backed the wrong horse and now he has to pay up for it like any other man in his position.

I believe they betrayed him first when the DNC ran the campaign against him in the 2006 primary.

[youtube]SnZWpak37Q[/youtube]

Joe Lieberman is being played by Sonny Corleone in this video.

Robert, Joe was abandoned by his own party in the first place and then when he declared himself an Independant and ran for the office he was re-elected. He is not a democrat he only caucuses with them. If Harry Reid strips him of his chair oh Homeland Security then he is doing nothing but padding opposition in the Senate.

I believe they betrayed him first when the DNC ran the campaign against him in the 2006 primary.

The democrats in his state no longer felt that he represented them.

As The Godfather quote goes, "It's nothing personal, just business."

Yep! cause yours is the party of retribution. Let's be united my aunt agnes!!! :lol:

Robert, Joe was abandoned by his own party in the first place and then when he declared himself an Independant and ran for the office he was re-elected. He is not a democrat he only caucuses with them. If Harry Reid strips him of his chair oh Homeland Security then he is doing nothing but padding opposition in the Senate.

I never said throw him out of the party, that would be a dumb idea.

However, he should not go unpunished. Joe Lieberman is a big boy, he knew what he was doing and the risks he was taking.

He backed John McCain and McCain lost.

And see my post above about "Joe being abandoned by his own party."

Lieberman should have been kicked to the curb when he ran against his part after losing the nomination. The only reason he wasn't is that the dems wanted to keep their one seat majority. Now he is a weight around the neck of the democratic party.

What happened to Lincoln Chafee when he opposed the repubs?

It appears that the people in his state thought otherwise Robert.

Well he drew both Democrats support from his base and Republican support since he was running as an independent. That's why he won.

However, he lost the democrat primary. You cannot expect the DNC to not support their own candidate.

This story has been cooking for some time now, but it seems rather a silly move on the part of Harry Reid to even consider sending Joe packing. However, Harry Reid has never been one to be credited with a whole lot of common sense when it comes to running the Senate in the first place.

As a liberal one would think that I'm simply brainwashed into agreeing with anything Pelosi, Reid, and Obama does. However, I don't. I do agree with you on this Navy (among other things). Not a strategic move for Reid. However, Reid might be under pressure to not appear weak so that other Dems who might be Independent-leaning don't do the samething. Is that right? No, because the two party system sucks, but how do we know everything that goes on with anyone not us. On the other hand, he might be an idiot. I don't know.

His seat makes no differance in the filibuster numbers and when he come up for relection in a couple of years he will not get relected.

oh! and birpartianship my aunt agnes too.. :lol:

I love that song "True Colors" They just keep on shinning through don't they?

why yes, yes they do.

I never said throw him out of the party, that would be a dumb idea.

However, he should not go unpunished. Joe Lieberman is a big boy, he knew what he was doing and the risks he was taking.

He backed John McCain and McCain lost.

And see my post above about "Joe being abandoned by his own party."

Well Robert, when Harry Reid is in the Las Vegas Sun talking about stripping Joe of his Chair and not happy about his support of John McCain, when in fact to my knowledge there is not one single rule or law that says a Senator has is bound to support his parties candidate for President. This tactic on behalf of Reid just keeps the process of division going in the Senate, and also sends who has otherwise been a pretty loyal member of the Democratic party for many years to caucus with the Republicans. Not a wise move on the part of Reid.

Lieberman should have been kicked to the curb when he ran against his part after losing the nomination. The only reason he wasn't is that the dems wanted to keep their one seat majority. Now he is a weight around the neck of the democratic party.

What happened to Lincoln Chafee when he opposed the repubs?

You can't blame a guy for trying to keep his job.

You can't blame a guy for trying to keep his job.

And you can't blame the DNC for trying to get their guy a job.

It's not the DNC fault that a majority of CT Democrats no longer wanted Joe Lieberman.

Besides, Joe Lieberman only decided to causus against Democrats (unless I stand corrected) only after he lost the primary.

If that is the case, that is him being bitter.

I don't expect him to win if he runs again.

Forum List

Back