Joe Montana -best QB who played the the position

Status
Not open for further replies.
But yes... I think he is one the greatest if not THE greatest.... a true class act!

I only said you were wrong, b/c ya ask someone to :lol:

Ah.. the 49ers Golden Years.... I was a fan then..

In my book he was...

He didn't have the stongest arm, wasn't the fastest and wasn't a number one draft choice. In fact, he was drated in the third round at #84, the fourth QB taken in 1979. All he did was win. Yes, the best ever.

No kidding - just for good measure - defeated the SF 49ers and Steve Young in in 1994

ND 49 USC 17

ND 38 Texas 10

Time Mag cover in 1981

John Brodie says " He will go down as best QB ever"

Was right

Watch ND USC 1978

So what did Marino do?

Never won a NC in college or in the NFL

John Elway never won a single bowl game in colege.

Joe M won a slam-dunk NC.

ND 49 USC 17

ND 38 Texas 10

Last edited:
So what did Marino do?

Threw 147 more TD passes than Montana and almost 21,000 more yards. Also has about 1,600 more completions.

Just saying.

Marino tops Montana in the all-time best quarterbacks list. Sorry, pal.

danmarino.jpg

Montana defeated Texas 38-10.

Defeated Dan Marini and the Miamia dolphins in 1985 Super Bowl before Jerry Rice.

tell me im wrong

You're wrong.

He's in the top 5 though.

I agree. Marino, Elway, Favre and likely Manning will all be remembered as better QBs than Montana. Montana was the greatest when he was playing, and for a while thereafter, but others have passed him since then.

Montana was one of the best, and for a while "THE best."

But others have passed him by since he left the game, and more will do so in the years ahead.

He was fun to watch.

And he played for ND when 7-5 wasn't considered a "great season."

A LOT has changed since Montana was the greatest.

tell me im wrong

You're wrong.

I agree. Marino, Elway, Favre and likely Manning will all be remembered as better QBs than Montana. Montana was the greatest when he was playing, and for a while thereafter, but others have passed him since then.

But others have passed him by since he left the game, and more will do so in the years ahead.

He was fun to watch.

How about 11-1 in 1977 -and the one loss was to Old Miss before Montana became the startingQB

Broadway Joe Namath was the greatest FB player of all time.

Not necessary because he was the best player, but because he was footballs biggest screwball.

I remember h ow the Fighting Irish smoked the Texas Longhorns something like 38-10 in their place in 1977.

Havingthe GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME didnt hurt . But theND defense also shut down theLonghorns.....

NO need for BCS rankings...........................................

tell me im wrong
You are wrong.
Dan Marino, a friend of mine, was the best since Joe Namath.
Unfortunately the Joo that owned the dolfinz didn't pay the price to get a line to protect him.
Typical Floridastan bullshit.A joo infested state,

Well, you have come to the right place concerning Dan Marino. I saw him as a senior when Pitt came to the Sugar Bowl, you see the old dawg has history with the Sugar Bowl, in 1982. H looked a little gimpy to me in warmups but I was told ne had ankletrouble all year but he was a gamer dude. I saw that quick release from Marino all game and at the end of that bowl game which was a rocket frozen rope pass to a big slow tight end up the seam for a game winning TD for the Panthers with less than a minute to play. It was an unbelievable precision throw that had to be perfect as we had a safty AND a LB that had jumped the route! He still competed it perfectly. I KNEW then that this kid was going to be great. Folks don't know but he also was a great high school baseball player and liked basketball more than any sport as a youngster. Gunslinger with a VERY weak OL.
He is also in top 10 with Joe Willie, Montana, Unitas, Favre and others TBD.

tell me im wrong

You're wrong.

He was fun to watch.

Elway maybe but none of those others were better than Joe.Marino choked in the big game against Joe in the 49ers.Joe kept his cool and had great comebacks in both superbowls against the Bengals.first one was without Jerry Rice.Marino also choked making dumb decisions again when he made it back to his last AFC championship game aginst the Bills in 92.stunk up the joint again. The Dolphins magazine themselves called Joe Montana the greatest quarterback ever over their own.Same with Manning.He always chokes in big games.The one superbowl they won look at who they were playing.The joke of the NFC,the chicago bears.their defense got them there that year,they did not have a quarterback in Rex Grossman who is now a bench warmer.

Favre? forget it.not even close.Montana never made the idiotic decisions that Favre has made in playoff games over the years,especially the one last year that the vikings would have won if Favre doesnt throw that moronic interception to the saints in the closing two minutes and just does the smart thing by tucking it underneath him and running for the first down which would have sealed the game for the vikings.would have given their great field goal kicker excellent field position to kick the winning field goal.

Joe never played like a grade schooler in games away on the road.Thats what kept Favre from making it back to the superbowl after the second time that they lost.even announcers like John Madden said like 5 years ago he would have to win a couple more superbowls to be considered as good as Elway or Montana. The closet to being as good as Montana of those listed would be Elway.But he also stunk it up big time in superbowl losses to the Redskins and 49ers in those blowout losses.He panicked and choked.The Giants game he cant be blamed for.it was mostly the fault of the defense in that game.

The only quarterback to play the game better than Joe would be Johnny Unitas.I have seen old footage games of his and that guy had a cannon of an arm and could throw the ball deep down the field accurately.Joe also was supercool his first year with the chiefs in a playoff victory against the steelers taking the chiefs to their first AFC championship game in 25 years.Joe won that game against the steelers on a 4th and 10 completion play to Keith Cash.If he doesnt make that completion,the chiefs stay home and dont go to that championship game against the Bills. Favre did the same thing Montana did after going to a different team taking them to a championship game as well but unlike Montana,Favre cost them the opportunity to go to the superbowl with that moronic interception to the saints.

When the chiefs lost the AFC championship game to the Bills,Montana could not be blamed for that.The Chiefs had a chance to go into halftime of that game down only by a touchdown.they were down 21 to 7 and they were at the goal line of the bills with under two minutes to play in the half when Kimble Anders at the two yard line, fumbled the ball and it got ran back by the bills for another touchdown forcing the chiefs to go into halftime down three touchdowns 28 to 7 instead of one touchdown 14 to 7.That was the turning point of the game.it made the chiefs lose confidence in winning that game on the road especially when Montana got knocked out in the second half.Favre blew that game for the vikings last year when they had a golden opportunity to go the superbowl.Anders blew that game for the chiefs,not Montana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back