Joe Biden’s new monument near the Grand Canyon stops some — but not all — uranium mining

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Biden strikes another blow against American energy independence.

Meanwhile, Russia has been the biggest beneficiary of Biden's energy policies.

And I, for one, am so tired of so-called “native” Americans claiming millions of acres are sacred to them. I was born here of parents born here, and I am a native American (the term was pushed by the feds to further divide us).

The Biden administration announced the creation of a new national monument surrounding the Grand Canyon in the hopes of protecting it from mining and development. But that still won’t stop a controversial mine from producing uranium within the monument’s boundaries.
Biden’s designation of a new national monument is expected to protect nearly 1 million acres of land and stop new mining and development. But with mining rights already grandfathered in, the existing Pinyon Plain Mine is an exception.
The mine has been at the center of a decades-long fight over the future of domestic uranium production and nuclear energy in the US. Uranium has already contaminated land and water in the Southwest, making people sick. The Havasupai Tribe and environmental advocates have fought to stop the same thing from happening near the Grand Canyon.
“Although there is still more work to do, we will sleep easier tonight knowing that our water, sacred sites, and plant medicines are more protected, and that our ancestors’ tears are finally tears of happiness,” Thomas Siyuja Sr, chair for the Havasupai Tribe, said in a statement. (Me - What utter rubbish).

Biden strikes another blow against American energy independence.

Meanwhile, Russia has been the biggest beneficiary of Biden's energy policies.

And I, for one, am so tired of so-called “native” Americans claiming millions of acres are sacred to them. I was born here of parents born here, and I am a native American (the term was pushed by the feds to further divide us).

The Biden administration announced the creation of a new national monument surrounding the Grand Canyon in the hopes of protecting it from mining and development. But that still won’t stop a controversial mine from producing uranium within the monument’s boundaries.
Biden’s designation of a new national monument is expected to protect nearly 1 million acres of land and stop new mining and development. But with mining rights already grandfathered in, the existing Pinyon Plain Mine is an exception.
The mine has been at the center of a decades-long fight over the future of domestic uranium production and nuclear energy in the US. Uranium has already contaminated land and water in the Southwest, making people sick. The Havasupai Tribe and environmental advocates have fought to stop the same thing from happening near the Grand Canyon.
“Although there is still more work to do, we will sleep easier tonight knowing that our water, sacred sites, and plant medicines are more protected, and that our ancestors’ tears are finally tears of happiness,” Thomas Siyuja Sr, chair for the Havasupai Tribe, said in a statement. (Me - What utter rubbish).

Joe reinstated almost every Obama policy by EO on day 1.

the "Waters of the US" BS too, where if you dig a pond on your land to water cattle it becomes federal property.

A lot of what he declared a national monument today has been mined in the past for uranium, before there was much regard for safety.
The health effects among the Navajo are nothing to make light of.
I live a few miles from the Rio Puerco, which had a tailings pile from a uranium mill in shiprock wash into it during a storm in 1979. That was 60 miles away, and radiation is still dangerous in Rio Puerco all the way into the Petrified Forest park.
Another thing that had Ill effects was allowing workers to take the over burden rocks from the mines to build houses with. That has still lasting ill effects.
In this case, I think it's a good thing, even if the mines and mills are currently closed, this prevents them from being reopened at the expense of a small group of people.

My earliest ancestor arrived on the shores of America in the mid-1600s. I'm as "native" as anyone. From my perspective, common sense and energy independence is sacred.

Forum List

Back