Jobless Discrimination? When Firms Won't Even Consider Hiring Anyone Unemployed

Discussion in 'Economy' started by High_Gravity, May 25, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Jobless Discrimination? When Firms Won't Even Consider Hiring Anyone Unemployed

[​IMG]

Read more: When Companies Refuse to Interview the Unemployed for Jobs - TIME

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,471
    I will usually hire someone who already has a job over someone who is unemployed.

Less risk

3. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    What risk? alot of the times people are unemployed because the company they work for shut down, not their fault.

4. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Being unemployed indicates to the employer that you have issues. They just do not want to deal with people that may have issues with previous employers.

Being over 50 is an issue, being a convicted dope user is an issue, just like having long hair or a other appearance issues.

So college graduates have to go out and take minimum wage jobs to show they are employable. A lot of this has to do with the rise of the employment agencies that companies are using today. Using temporary labor agencies and such allow the companies to use employees without paying for unemployment or health insurance. The gate keepers are almost impossible to get around if something like being unemployed is on your record. They create a class of permanently unemployed people.

5. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I just don't understand, I lost my job in Virginia because the company I worked for shut down, not because I did anything bad or had had issues, this kind of profiling is just as bad as racism, if you want to see if the person had issues I am sure the previous supervisor at the old job would be more than happy to tell you.

6. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Thats the way companies are now. Your are not an individual you are a looked at as a group. Its not fair but thats the information age.

7. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Thats terrible, I feel sorry for the unemployed folks out there, alot of them may never find a decent job again.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,471
    In this employment environment, I would be more willing to consider someone who is unemployed if they have an otherwise stable employment record.

However, hiring someone who is unemployed is always a bigger risk. The "lost my job in a downsizing" is a catchall for you were first in line of unnecessary or undesirable workers.

9. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I understand that but if you called the employees old company for a reference they would be more than willing to tell you if the guy was a shit bird or not.

10. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,029
    It also depends on the size of the company. Large companies with extensive HR departments should have no issue with looking at people who are currently out of work. Thats what the HR department is there for. It looks almost like laziness when they just look at currently employed people

For smaller buisnesses, where management does the hiring I can see why they would use currently being employed as a form of screening, however by limiting your talent pool you are actually hurting your chances of finding a good person for the position. An unemployed person, especially one let go through layoffs/shutdown has a much stronger motivation to

A) work thier ass off once employed again
    B) take lower pay for the same position.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1