Jobless Discrimination? When Firms Won't Even Consider Hiring Anyone Unemployed

...a lot of unemployed people would appreciate the job more than someone who is currently working...
It doesn't work that way.

You and I don't buy because the seller needs to sell something we don't need. We buy if the product is something we need. The only unemployed people that get hired are the ones needed by the company that's hiring.

...a lot of unemployed people would appreciate the job more than someone who is currently working...
It doesn't work that way.

You and I don't buy because the seller needs to sell something we don't need. We buy if the product is something we need. The only unemployed people that get hired are the ones needed by the company that's hiring.

So if the unemployed person has the qualifications you need when you want to hire someone, whats the problem?

I just don't understand, I lost my job in Virginia because the company I worked for shut down, not because I did anything bad or had had issues, this kind of profiling is just as bad as racism, if you want to see if the person had issues I am sure the previous supervisor at the old job would be more than happy to tell you.

Just as bad as racism? Not even close. In fact, its not bad at all. But what is hurting the unemployed is those who are just rideing the long term unemployment gravy train. This causes the employer to shun the long term unemployed. And the fact that when your on unemployment the state does absolutly nothing to verify that you are actually looking for a job other than filing a 5 question report or somethimes a list of places you applied for of which they will never check. There is massive fraud among the unemployed right now and its giving the honest worker a bad name.

Unemployment only lasts so long, mine expired after a year in Virginia although I found a job in 6 months, I still don't feel this is right if employees are all going to take this kind of attitude and discriminate against the unemployed none of these folks are going to find jobs, I have to disagree on this. I guess once you have been unemployed you look at this issue from a different view, you guys are making unemployed people sound like crack addicts on the streets.:doubt:

Whenever to make a choice you discreminate. You dont call your better choice discriminating against the bad one but you are descriminating against the perceived bad choice for the perceived good. But when people want the heavy hand of government to impelement laws that benefit them over another they call it discrimination. Its wrong and it is a violation of the natural right to freedom of association. A man doesent create a business so that people can tell him how to run his own business against his will.

Last edited:
Huh? I don't follow you, I don't see the comparison between this issue and people not paying back banks.:confused:

The point is that there is a descrimination for everything. And the banks refered to stuff like the accusation of "redlining" in Chicago Where Obama and ACORN sued Citi Bank on the bascis of descrimination for not giving home loans in an area where the property value was droping, violence rate was high, and people had little income. When people want to get something done they use the term "descrimination" to get the political blood flowing. In order to pass a rediculous liberty snatching law there is usually an alegged victem and there is no better way to cry victemhood than the word "descrimination". We have racial descrimination, wealth descrimination, gender descrimination, unemployment descrimination, homosexual descrimination, pre existing disease descrimination, and lets make up a few more shall we? If you refuse to hire a man because of his lack of education or job skill we should call it education/ skill descrimination. If you cant pay for your dvd at the electronics stor we should call it income descrimination. If I wipe my ass with two ply toilet paper lets call it mono ply descrimination. If you want to go after someone or something in order to force an unnatural action you simpily accuse them of some form of descrimination and that will bring cries of outrage and protest and perhaps something in the realm of a law will get done. I'm tired of the overuse of the word descrimination. Look how your article laments that unemployment descrimination is perfectly legal as if some crime had occured. Its just another way to suggest outlawing a good business descision in order to artificially give someone something that they did not earn and are not entitled to.

Oh, and the fact that I spelled discrimination wrong each and every time in this thread you could say I'm guilty of spelling discrimination.

You might now want to hear it but if a company is not hiring people because they are unemployed it is discrimination, point blank period.

If I want to masterbate with my left hand instead of my right it is discrimination. You might not want to hear it but if a man is masterbating with his left instead of his right hand it is descrimination, point blank perioud. We should pass a law to give equal oppertunity for each hand huh?

You know what? If a business hires a highly educated and highly skilled man over a guy with no HS diploma and no job experience or skills he must be discriminating against the low skilled man huh? He should be forced to hire an equal number of low skilled employees for the same job and pay as the high skilled ones huh?

Heres where it comes down to. We all have the frredom of association and you do not own the business that you want to work for. So stop trying to tell them how to run it through the force of law. Quit trying to make other people suffer for your life circumsatances that no one pushed you in to but yourself!

Last edited:
Just as bad as racism? Not even close. In fact, its not bad at all. But what is hurting the unemployed is those who are just rideing the long term unemployment gravy train. This causes the employer to shun the long term unemployed. And the fact that when your on unemployment the state does absolutly nothing to verify that you are actually looking for a job other than filing a 5 question report or somethimes a list of places you applied for of which they will never check. There is massive fraud among the unemployed right now and its giving the honest worker a bad name.

Unemployment only lasts so long, mine expired after a year in Virginia although I found a job in 6 months, I still don't feel this is right if employees are all going to take this kind of attitude and discriminate against the unemployed none of these folks are going to find jobs, I have to disagree on this. I guess once you have been unemployed you look at this issue from a different view, you guys are making unemployed people sound like crack addicts on the streets.:doubt:

Whenever to make a choice you discreminate. You dont call your better choice discriminating against the bad one but you are descriminating against the perceived bad choice for the perceived good. But when people want the heavy hand of government to impelement laws that benefit them over another they call it discrimination. Its wrong and it is a violation of the natural right to freedom of association. A man doesent create a business so that people can tell him how to run his own business against his will.

With that kind of attitude how are unemployed people supposed to find work? should we round them all up against a wall and machine gun them to death so we won't have to deal with their issues?

The point is that there is a descrimination for everything. And the banks refered to stuff like the accusation of "redlining" in Chicago Where Obama and ACORN sued Citi Bank on the bascis of descrimination for not giving home loans in an area where the property value was droping, violence rate was high, and people had little income. When people want to get something done they use the term "descrimination" to get the political blood flowing. In order to pass a rediculous liberty snatching law there is usually an alegged victem and there is no better way to cry victemhood than the word "descrimination". We have racial descrimination, wealth descrimination, gender descrimination, unemployment descrimination, homosexual descrimination, pre existing disease descrimination, and lets make up a few more shall we? If you refuse to hire a man because of his lack of education or job skill we should call it education/ skill descrimination. If you cant pay for your dvd at the electronics stor we should call it income descrimination. If I wipe my ass with two ply toilet paper lets call it mono ply descrimination. If you want to go after someone or something in order to force an unnatural action you simpily accuse them of some form of descrimination and that will bring cries of outrage and protest and perhaps something in the realm of a law will get done. I'm tired of the overuse of the word descrimination. Look how your article laments that unemployment descrimination is perfectly legal as if some crime had occured. Its just another way to suggest outlawing a good business descision in order to artificially give someone something that they did not earn and are not entitled to.

Oh, and the fact that I spelled discrimination wrong each and every time in this thread you could say I'm guilty of spelling discrimination.

You might now want to hear it but if a company is not hiring people because they are unemployed it is discrimination, point blank period.

If I want to masterbate with my left hand instead of my right it is discrimination. You might not want to hear it but if a man is masterbating with his left instead of his right hand it is descrimination, point blank perioud. We should pass a law to give equal oppertunity for each hand huh?

You know what? If a business hires a highly educated and highly skilled man over a guy with no HS diploma and no job experience or skills he must be discriminating against the low skilled man huh? He should be forced to hire an equal number of low skilled employees for the same job and pay as the high skilled ones huh?

Come now you know thats not the same thing, the issue is unemployed people not getting hired because they are unemployed, I am not saying we need to put people in positions they are not qualified to work in.

With that kind of attitude how are unemployed people supposed to find work? should we round them all up against a wall and machine gun them to death so we won't have to deal with their issues?

The way you find work is the way unemployed have always found work

You need to work your way back up the employment ladder. It may mean taking less pay. It may mean working in an unrelated field. It may mean temporary or part time work.

Once the economy picks up, your old skills will be needed again

You need to work your way back up the employment ladder. It may mean taking less pay. It may mean working in an unrelated field. It may mean temporary or part time work.

Well I guess I was lucky, I was able to find a job that paid me the same salary as my old one, guess most people are not as fortunate.

Well I guess I was lucky, I was able to find a job that paid me the same salary as my old one, guess most people are not as fortunate.

Glad to hear

My son was unemployed for a year before his old firm hired him back

I just don't understand, I lost my job in Virginia because the company I worked for shut down, not because I did anything bad or had had issues, this kind of profiling is just as bad as racism, if you want to see if the person had issues I am sure the previous supervisor at the old job would be more than happy to tell you.

People who don't work are losers, HG, and employers are employers because they understand how to cut their losses.

I honestly wouldn't give a shit why or how you lost your job. If you don't have a job and are no longer getting UC, you aren't working because you aren't willing to.

And if there really are no jobs to be had, you should be volunteering somewhere. That shows initiative, and a desire to work, and looks wonderful on a resume. It fills in the gaps.

Come now you know thats not the same thing, the issue is unemployed people not getting hired because they are unemployed, I am not saying we need to put people in positions they are not qualified to work in.

Theyre not being employed because they have gaps in their resume. Like all jobs skills, they deteriorate over time. This applies to times of high levels of unemployment and low levels of unemployment. People who are out of work lose alot from their ability to remain productive. This is an economic fact as well as an economic descision that you have absolutly no right to choose for someone else. The telling fact is that the government gives subsidies and tax breaks for those who hire people on unemployment and they still refuse to do so. Looks like the marginal cost of hireing an out of work fella on unemployment does not exceed the marginal benefit. Either way THATS NOT FOR YOU TO DESCIDE NOR IS IT FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO DESCIDE!

Last edited:

No we should do absolutly nothing about it. IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE A JOB! And no government should make the determination that you are qualified for the job and thus must force the employer to hire you on the grounds of unemployment discrimination. Your not a victem of anything other than your own choices and chance circumstances. Welcome to reality.

Last edited:

No we should do absolutly nothing about it. IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE A JOB! And no government should make the determination that you are qualified for the job and thus must force the employer to hire you on the grounds of unemployment discrimination. Your not a victem of anything other than your own choices and chance circumstances. Welcome to reality.

I am not saying the employer should be forced to hire someone because they are unemployed, I am just saying if an unemployed person goes to a job interview he shouldn't be automatically disqualified just because he happens to be unemployed, you are trying to twist this and make it look like I want unemployed people put in the front of the line.

Employers are much like young girls...when you're single and looking, you're not spongeworthy.

Its not until you're attached that you're worthy of consideration.

Forum List

Back