Jewish Refugees from Arab Countries

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
Most jews have rgw city and taken refuge in Christian neighborhoods. They used to lived and work in and around the sukes (small stores mostly in the streets where anything you can thing of could be found, before the war)
The area is being rebuilt but stores will be very different. Much will be prepackaged and weight. Prices are much higher, especially when the LL pound used be 3 to the dollar. Now it is around 1500 to the dollar.
Jews do not have the "community to collective practice their religion. They buy in street markets and likely koshering the meat themselves. They likely eat some of the abundant variety of good the bakeries. If this is all they have, god will understand.
Numbers vary between 400 to 40 jews still in Lebanon.

http://jewishrefugees.blogspot.com/...5/lebanon-does-not-accept-jews-as-humans.html

The public face of the 'Lebanese Jewish community', Isaac Arazi, has been proclaiming its rebirth while denying that Lebanese Jews have any links to Israel. But three other 'clandestine' Jews tell A-sharq al Aswat that some in Lebanon do not accept Jews as human beings. (With thanks: Sharon)

(..) The perceived relationship between Lebanon’s Jews and the Jewish ‘homeland’ to the south raises major problems for some Lebanese. Speaking forcefully, Arazi said, “To be clear, if our allegiance was to Israel, then we would not stay here another moment.” He explicitly denied any relation to those who wish to live on the land of Palestine, stressing that “not all Jews are Zionists. Our identity is Lebanese and we belong to Lebanon, a hundred percent.”

But Sonia, a Lebanese Jew in her sixties, differed from Arazi. She told Asharq Al-Awsat that, in her opinion, “there is no Zionist or Jewish; Jews are all one and they cannot evade their identity.”

“After the emergence of major hostility between Arabs and Jews, my husband’s family deprived me of my children because of my Jewish heritage,” Sonia continued. “They fought me using all forms of psychological torture. I left my family, who had chosen to go and live in Israel, in order to stay in Lebanon with my husband and children. But the consequences of the Israeli–Arab conflict show no mercy for my existence as a human being.” (My emphasis)

Sonia said that she did not care about the isolation imposed on the community, ending her comments unequivocally. “When I die, I want to be buried in a Jewish cemetery with a Jewish rabbi praying over me,” she said. “The Torah is my sacred text, and Judaism is my religion. I will never give that up.”
According to official statistics published in 2003, there were only 60 official members of the so-called Israeli community in Lebanon. More accurate statistics, however, indicate that this number is closer to 1,500, with most members officially switching to other religions in order to avoid persecution. One such clandestine member of Lebanon’s “Israeli community” is Ibrahim, nicknamed the “tailor of the princes.”

Qur’anic verses hang of the walls of the shop belonging to Ibrahim, a Jewish tailor in his seventies, along with pictures which dispel any doubts a visitor might have about his identity or religion. He sits on a brown leather chair wearing brown wire-framed glasses. In his hand he holds sewing tools which have accompanied him for more than 25 years—a needle, some thread—and some slacks that need mending...................

Most jews have rgw city and taken refuge in Christian neighborhoods. They used to lived and work in and around the sukes (small stores mostly in the streets where anything you can thing of could be found, before the war)
The area is being rebuilt but stores will be very different. Much will be prepackaged and weight. Prices are much higher, especially when the LL pound used be 3 to the dollar. Now it is around 1500 to the dollar.
Jews do not have the "community to collective practice their religion. They buy in street markets and likely koshering the meat themselves. They likely eat some of the abundant variety of good the bakeries. If this is all they have, god will understand.
Numbers vary between 400 to 40 jews still in Lebanon.

http://jewishrefugees.blogspot.com/...5/lebanon-does-not-accept-jews-as-humans.html

The public face of the 'Lebanese Jewish community', Isaac Arazi, has been proclaiming its rebirth while denying that Lebanese Jews have any links to Israel. But three other 'clandestine' Jews tell A-sharq al Aswat that some in Lebanon do not accept Jews as human beings. (With thanks: Sharon)

(..) The perceived relationship between Lebanon’s Jews and the Jewish ‘homeland’ to the south raises major problems for some Lebanese. Speaking forcefully, Arazi said, “To be clear, if our allegiance was to Israel, then we would not stay here another moment.” He explicitly denied any relation to those who wish to live on the land of Palestine, stressing that “not all Jews are Zionists. Our identity is Lebanese and we belong to Lebanon, a hundred percent.”

But Sonia, a Lebanese Jew in her sixties, differed from Arazi. She told Asharq Al-Awsat that, in her opinion, “there is no Zionist or Jewish; Jews are all one and they cannot evade their identity.”

“After the emergence of major hostility between Arabs and Jews, my husband’s family deprived me of my children because of my Jewish heritage,” Sonia continued. “They fought me using all forms of psychological torture. I left my family, who had chosen to go and live in Israel, in order to stay in Lebanon with my husband and children. But the consequences of the Israeli–Arab conflict show no mercy for my existence as a human being.” (My emphasis)

Sonia said that she did not care about the isolation imposed on the community, ending her comments unequivocally. “When I die, I want to be buried in a Jewish cemetery with a Jewish rabbi praying over me,” she said. “The Torah is my sacred text, and Judaism is my religion. I will never give that up.”
According to official statistics published in 2003, there were only 60 official members of the so-called Israeli community in Lebanon. More accurate statistics, however, indicate that this number is closer to 1,500, with most members officially switching to other religions in order to avoid persecution. One such clandestine member of Lebanon’s “Israeli community” is Ibrahim, nicknamed the “tailor of the princes.”

Qur’anic verses hang of the walls of the shop belonging to Ibrahim, a Jewish tailor in his seventies, along with pictures which dispel any doubts a visitor might have about his identity or religion. He sits on a brown leather chair wearing brown wire-framed glasses. In his hand he holds sewing tools which have accompanied him for more than 25 years—a needle, some thread—and some slacks that need mending...................

There is also a good site put up by these Middle Eastern Jews.

JIMENA: Jews Indigenous to the Middle East and North Africa

Forum List

Back