Jesus was a liberal? & Thou Shalt Not Kill

Originally posted by Dan
Yeah, well, I know it's insane to think that an extreme Christian fundamentalist would expect to go to heaven. Of course, I guess if my life consisted of looking up useless facts to prove how smart I am on a message board, I would have known that he didn't.

Lose the attitude.

You DO NOT want to get into a war of words with me. You are very smart, but not nearly smart enough.

You made a statement. It was false and had no basis. You were proven wrong. You disappeared. You now get pissy when called on it. End of story.

I do believe this is a very tough topic here being we all have our own beliefs. Jeff, I think your posts are great, and agree with you 100% and respect you for it. I don't think gay is the right way either, but I don't hate them for it. I don't think God hates them either.

In all honesty, I meant to put this ':p ' after my post. Wasn't meant to be pissy. But, whatever, let's either let this topic die or get back on topic.

this commentary your making I think is terrific, Joan and jeff. I wish more people felt the same way.

I'm an atheist myself, but I can't help feeling I'm more in line with what the bible teaches than many of the bible beating set.

As for the translations of the bible, it's an interesting question. In Revelations, (the book most often ignored by Christians) it clearly says that the bible is unchangable and that any change of the bible is a terrible sin. If that's the case, we should all read it in Latin. Any translator would acknowledge that interpretation is the most difficult (and necessary) job in a translator's work.

Originally posted by janeeng
Is this why your such a SHIT at times? hahaha! j/k Bry!!! I couldn't resist! :)

HA HA. That I come by naturally.

and I just realized that the bible wasn't originally written in Latin either. At this point, it's translations of translations...

We're all going to hell!!!

Hey Bry, I am an angel! hahahahaha! :)

Angels don't go to hell! :D

Originally posted by Bry
this commentary your making I think is terrific, Joan and jeff. I wish more people felt the same way.

I'm an atheist myself, but I can't help feeling I'm more in line with what the bible teaches than many of the bible beating set.

As for the translations of the bible, it's an interesting question. In Revelations, (the book most often ignored by Christians) it clearly says that the bible is unchangable and that any change of the bible is a terrible sin. If that's the case, we should all read it in Latin. Any translator would acknowledge that interpretation is the most difficult (and necessary) job in a translator's work.

Well, as a Bible thumper, allow me to give you my point of view! :D

The verses you point out in Revelation actually refer only to that particular book. The book, as God's revelation of what will occur in the end times, is important enough that God wanted to make sure that we got the whole thing. Now, there are a couple of similar warnings in other parts of the Bible, but the Revelation verses apply only to Revelation.
By the way, Revelation has been getting a lot more attention lately, due to the Left behind series of novels. It's kind of a Tom Clancy-style fiction based on Revelation. But I think a big reason that people tend to gloss over it is that it's not easy to understand.
And as far as translations... the translations we have today are based on the oldest available Hebrew and Greek copies (Greek was the language the New Testament was written in). So we can be sure that we have something translated from as close to the original as possible. Moreover, in all the translations that have been done, no major doctrinal truth has ever been lost.

Thanks for setting me straight on that, jeff. I suddenly felt very ignorant.

As for this little tidbit:
Moreover, in all the translations that have been done, no major doctrinal truth has ever been lost.

How do you know something's never been lost if it's lost? Just curious. :D

-Bry

Originally posted by Bry
Thanks for setting me straight on that, jeff. I suddenly felt very ignorant.

As for this little tidbit:

How do you know something's never been lost if it's lost? Just curious. :D

-Bry

Bry,

Well, I'm not trying to make people feel bad - this just happens to be a topic I've studied a lot because it interests me a lot.
Anyway... the point I was trying to make is that when you compare the oldest available manuscripts (for the NT, I believe it's around the early 3rd century AD) with the translations we have had throughout history, we don't find any major doctrinal point that was left out. I will concede, however, that it could be possible that something was omitted before the earliest copies we have. However, my personal belief is that God would not allow such a thing to happen, if the Bible is truly a divinely inspired book.

heh. It wasn't that you made me feel bad, jeff. I felt bad for not knowing something I feel like I should know. I am my own worst critic, not you, silly (arguments about divine intervention aside.)

:D

BTW, I saw an article claiming that Dubya told Arafat and Sharon that God had told him to bomb Afganistan and had brought him victory. And that God had told him to invade Iraq, and there too God brought him victory. And that now God was telling him to make peace between the Palestenians and the Jews, so they might as well get it over with and quick because he had an election campaign to attend to.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about having a president so favored by the Allmighty? (assuming the article is true, of course.)

This is too hilarious!- jesus is a liberal. I don't even want to comment on this...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Also, every one here is no better than the gay guy, or lesbian gil walking down the street.

Originally posted by Spirit_Soul
Also, every one here is no better than the gay guy, or lesbian gil walking down the street.

I'm MUCH better than a gay guy! Yek!

Please don't insult me again. :p

Ouch! that sure blew me for a loop! :) I will just take a girl walking down the street, rather then a lesbian! :)

Now maybe if your talking about Dom or Jackass! hahahahahahahhahah

Im brown nosing cause I think I am better than a gay guy?? If your gay (a man that is...) then you obviously have a screw loose!

Forum List

Back