Jesus is not God.

It's interesting that Jesus didn't become God until the last of the four gospels. Somebody forgot to tell the writers or the synoptics. You would think something as important as Jesus being God would have been something the synoptic writers would have mentioned.Hmmm.

What are you trying to say? And why is it you come off as Margot? See post above this and cry, k?

Who's Margot?

What I'm saying is that Jesus is not depicted as God in the synoptic gospels, only in John. The other gospel writers disagree.

As in they write something to the contrary, or nothing at all?

Or..my personal observation: You're fulla shit.

Very few things in the Bible are contradictory.

Do the insults help? Because they only make you look shallow.

Nowhere do the synoptic gospels equate Jesus with God. Why? Because that was a later legendary development. I would challenge you to prove to me that Jesus is God using only the synoptic gospels.

I would challenge you to refute the truth of The Bible.

It's interesting that Jesus didn't become God until the last of the four gospels. Somebody forgot to tell the writers or the synoptics. You would think something as important as Jesus being God would have been something the synoptic writers would have mentioned.Hmmm.

What are you trying to say? And why is it you come off as Margot? See post above this and cry, k?

Who's Margo?

What I'm saying is that Jesus is not depicted as God in the synoptic gospels, only in John. The other gospel writers disagree.
The other Gospel writers did not say Jesus WASN'T God. Also, Thomas declared that Jesus was his Lord and his God. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

The other Gospel writers did not say Jesus WASN'T God.

Now that's about as big a copout answer as I've ever heard. If the other gospel writers believed Jesus was God, do you really believe they wouldn't have mentioned that?! That's absurd!

And yes, Thomas said “My Lord and my God”, but only in the gospel of John. In the synoptics, he doesn't say that.
50 Biblical Proofs That Jesus is God
Jesus is God the Son. He is the eternal, all-powerful, all-loving, self-existent Creator God.
Dave Armstrong
We apologists hear every fable, myth, and tall tale regarding theology that anyone could ever imagine. I've heard for over thirty years that “the Bible never says that Jesus is God.” In fact, one of my first research projects in the early 80s, after I started taking up apologetics (back in my evangelical days), was to collect biblical passages that provide evidence for the Holy Trinity and deity, or divinity of Jesus Christ.

I've compiled this information in one of my books, called Theology of God (if anyone is looking for a handy guide on the issue). Presently, I'd like to highlight a few of the more obvious, undeniable, plain passages, in order to counter those who make such negative claims.

John 1:1, 14 (RSV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . . [14] And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.

This is one of the most well-known “proof texts”. Jesus is eternal (here, “beginning” means “eternity past”). He was with God the Father, and is God the Son. To make sure that the reader has no misunderstanding, John (v. 14) reiterates that the “Word” referred to is the Son, and notes that He “became flesh” (the incarnation). Only the Son has a body. The Word = Jesus = God.

John 10:30 I and the Father are one.

Jesus' hearers, unbelieving Jews, certainly understood His intent in saying this, because they tried to stone Him, as the next verse informs us, since they didn't believe His claim, which, if indeed untrue, would be intolerable blasphemy. 10:33 informs us that they tried to stone Him because (in their words) “you, being a man, make yourself God.”

John 20:28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

This had to do with the famous “Doubting Thomas” incident. Thomas didn't believe Jesus had risen, so Jesus appeared for His sake and told him to touch the wound in His side. Then Thomas believed and said this. If it were untrue, Jesus would have corrected him, but He didn't; He commended Thomas because he “believed.”

Colossians 1:19 For in him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell,

In context, it is the Son Who is being described (1:13); He is eternal (1:15, 17-18), the Creator (1:16), and the unifying principle of the universe (1:17; cf. Heb 1:3): all attributes true only of God. Paul makes the notion even more explicit in the next chapter:

Colossians 2:9 For in him the whole fulness of deity dwells bodily,

2 Peter 1:1 . . . our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

St. Paul uses the same phrase in Titus 2:13 as well.

Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son he says, “Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever, the righteous scepter is the scepter of thy kingdom.”

This is a remarkable passage, in which God the Father calls His Son “God.” It is a reference to the Old Testament passage, Psalms 45:6-7.

In Hebrews 1:6, God the Father also says that all the angels should worship God the Son. Worship can only be rightly applied to God, as we know from Exodus 34:14 and Deuteronomy 8:19. Yet Jesus accepted worship of Himself on many occasions (e.g., Mt 14:33; 28:9) and stated that He should be honored equally with the Father (Jn 5:23). In Revelation 5:8, 12-13 and Colossians 2:6-7, we find that Jesus is worshiped in every way that the Bible specifically describes worship of God the Father, with all the same words used (see: Rev 4:9-11, 5:13; 7:11-12, and Rom 11:33).

Jesus is omnipotent (possesses all power):

Philippians 3:20-21 . . . the Lord Jesus Christ, [21] who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself.

He's omniscient (all-knowing):

Colossians 2:2-3 . . . Christ, [3] in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

He's omnipresent (present everywhere):

Ephesians 1:22-23 the church, [23] which is his body, the fulness of him who fills all in all. (cf. Col 3:11)

Another astonishing passage along these lines is one where Jesus speaks about historical events described as being done by God the Father in the Old Testament. He casually applies them to Himself (what might be called “the Divine 'I'”):

Matthew 23: 34, 37 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, . . . [37] O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!

Many attributes that are said to belong only to “God” are applied to Jesus in Scripture. God the Father said, “besides me there is no savior” (Is 43:11; cf. 1 Tim 4:10). Yet Jesus is called the “savior” of mankind in passages like Luke 2:11 and many others.

God the Father stated, “To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear” (Is 45:23). The same exact description is also applied to Jesus (Phil 2:10-11).

The Bible teaches that “God” is judge (1 Sam 2:10; Ps 50:6; Ecc 12:14; many others). But so is Jesus (Jn 5:22, 27; 9:39; Acts 10:42; 2 Tim 4:1). Therefore He is God.

God the Father sits on His throne in heaven (1 Ki 22:19; Ps 11:4; 47:8). Jesus is on the same throne, too (Rev 7:17; 22:1, 3).

At every turn in the Bible, only one conclusion is possible, to make sense of all these statements, taken together as a whole: Jesus is God the Son. He is the eternal, all-powerful, all-loving, self-existent Creator God.

This is what is known as Scotch Tape theology. Pick a verse here and there from a variety of NT writings, tape them together, and bingo – point proven. Nope. You have to let each writer speak for himself. Prove to me that the writers of the synoptics believed Jesus was God – uning ONLY the synoptics. If those writers believed Jesus was God, that should be an easy task.

Who's Margo?

The other Gospel writers did not say Jesus WASN'T God. Also, Thomas declared that Jesus was his Lord and his God. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Now that's about as big a copout answer as I've ever heard. If the other gospel writers believed Jesus was God, do you really believe they wouldn't have mentioned that?! That's absurd!

And yes, Thomas said “My Lord and my God”, but only in the gospel of John. In the synoptics, he doesn't say that.
Jesus is God the Son. He is the eternal, all-powerful, all-loving, self-existent Creator God.
Dave Armstrong
We apologists hear every fable, myth, and tall tale regarding theology that anyone could ever imagine. I've heard for over thirty years that “the Bible never says that Jesus is God.” In fact, one of my first research projects in the early 80s, after I started taking up apologetics (back in my evangelical days), was to collect biblical passages that provide evidence for the Holy Trinity and deity, or divinity of Jesus Christ.

I've compiled this information in one of my books, called Theology of God (if anyone is looking for a handy guide on the issue). Presently, I'd like to highlight a few of the more obvious, undeniable, plain passages, in order to counter those who make such negative claims.

John 1:1, 14 (RSV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . . [14] And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.

This is one of the most well-known “proof texts”. Jesus is eternal (here, “beginning” means “eternity past”). He was with God the Father, and is God the Son. To make sure that the reader has no misunderstanding, John (v. 14) reiterates that the “Word” referred to is the Son, and notes that He “became flesh” (the incarnation). Only the Son has a body. The Word = Jesus = God.

Jesus' hearers, unbelieving Jews, certainly understood His intent in saying this, because they tried to stone Him, as the next verse informs us, since they didn't believe His claim, which, if indeed untrue, would be intolerable blasphemy. 10:33 informs us that they tried to stone Him because (in their words) “you, being a man, make yourself God.”

This had to do with the famous “Doubting Thomas” incident. Thomas didn't believe Jesus had risen, so Jesus appeared for His sake and told him to touch the wound in His side. Then Thomas believed and said this. If it were untrue, Jesus would have corrected him, but He didn't; He commended Thomas because he “believed.”

In context, it is the Son Who is being described (1:13); He is eternal (1:15, 17-18), the Creator (1:16), and the unifying principle of the universe (1:17; cf. Heb 1:3): all attributes true only of God. Paul makes the notion even more explicit in the next chapter:

Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son he says, “Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever, the righteous scepter is the scepter of thy kingdom.”

This is a remarkable passage, in which God the Father calls His Son “God.” It is a reference to the Old Testament passage, Psalms 45:6-7.

In Hebrews 1:6, God the Father also says that all the angels should worship God the Son. Worship can only be rightly applied to God, as we know from Exodus 34:14 and Deuteronomy 8:19. Yet Jesus accepted worship of Himself on many occasions (e.g., Mt 14:33; 28:9) and stated that He should be honored equally with the Father (Jn 5:23). In Revelation 5:8, 12-13 and Colossians 2:6-7, we find that Jesus is worshiped in every way that the Bible specifically describes worship of God the Father, with all the same words used (see: Rev 4:9-11, 5:13; 7:11-12, and Rom 11:33).

Philippians 3:20-21 . . . the Lord Jesus Christ, [21] who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Colossians 2:2-3 . . . Christ, [3] in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Ephesians 1:22-23 the church, [23] which is his body, the fulness of him who fills all in all. (cf. Col 3:11)

Another astonishing passage along these lines is one where Jesus speaks about historical events described as being done by God the Father in the Old Testament. He casually applies them to Himself (what might be called “the Divine 'I'”):

Matthew 23: 34, 37 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, . . . [37] O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!

Many attributes that are said to belong only to “God” are applied to Jesus in Scripture. God the Father said, “besides me there is no savior” (Is 43:11; cf. 1 Tim 4:10). Yet Jesus is called the “savior” of mankind in passages like Luke 2:11 and many others.

God the Father stated, “To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear” (Is 45:23). The same exact description is also applied to Jesus (Phil 2:10-11).

The Bible teaches that “God” is judge (1 Sam 2:10; Ps 50:6; Ecc 12:14; many others). But so is Jesus (Jn 5:22, 27; 9:39; Acts 10:42; 2 Tim 4:1). Therefore He is God.

God the Father sits on His throne in heaven (1 Ki 22:19; Ps 11:4; 47:8). Jesus is on the same throne, too (Rev 7:17; 22:1, 3).

At every turn in the Bible, only one conclusion is possible, to make sense of all these statements, taken together as a whole: Jesus is God the Son. He is the eternal, all-powerful, all-loving, self-existent Creator God.

This is what is known as Scotch Tape theology. Pick a verse here and there from a variety of NT writings, tape them together, and bingo – point proven. Nope. You have to let each writer speak for himself. Prove to me that the writers of the synoptics believed Jesus was God – uning ONLY the synoptics. If those writers believed Jesus was God, that should be an easy task.

Sez you, weaksauce.

How does one "une" only the synoptics?

Yeah, your foot has a bullet hole in it.

Son, you are derp! I look forward to owning you in the near future.

Who's Margo?

Dave Armstrong

2 Peter 1New International Version (NIV)
1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Well, look here. Peter just claimed that Jesus is his God and Savior. Now, don't you look stupid.

Isaiah 9:6King James Version (KJV)
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Hmm, Sounds a lot like Matthew 2 as well. You were saying?

Matthew doesn't quote that. Sorry.

Who's Margot?

As in they write something to the contrary, or nothing at all?

Or..my personal observation: You're fulla shit.

Very few things in the Bible are contradictory.

Do the insults help? Because they only make you look shallow.

Nowhere do the synoptic gospels equate Jesus with God. Why? Because that was a later legendary development. I would challenge you to prove to me that Jesus is God using only the synoptic gospels.

I would challenge you to refute the truth of The Bible.

All in good time.

Who's Margo?

Dave Armstrong

2 Peter 1New International Version (NIV)
1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Well, look here. Peter just claimed that Jesus is his God and Savior. Now, don't you look stupid.

That's not from the synoptics. And Peter didn't write 2 Peter. In fact, most scholars consider 2 Peter to be Pseudopigraphic.

Who's Margo?

Dave Armstrong

Sez you, weaksauce.

I guess the insults do help huh? At least when you don't have an actual answer. I guess I win,

Dave Armstrong

Sez you, weaksauce.

I guess the insults do help huh? At least when you don't have an actual answer. I guess I win,
You know what? It doesn't matter what you think. Jesus is God. That's what Scripture teaches. You're simply to stupid, or too full of sinful pride to admit it. And why do you even care? Why are you trying so hard to convince others that Jesus is not God? Do you even believe in God? If not, then why are you debating it? Why try to disprove something you don't believe in?

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Didn't check, but Luke Does:

Your theories are more full of holes than an ISIS target.

You can see this soon in "A Charlie Braown Christmas"

Yessir!

Luke 2 KJV

Dave Armstrong

Sez you, weaksauce.

You know what? It doesn't matter what you think. Jesus is God. That's what Scripture teaches. You're simply to stupid, or too full of sinful pride to admit it. And why do you even care? Why are you trying so hard to convince others that Jesus is not God? Do you even believe in God? If not, then why are you debating it? Why try to disprove something you don't believe in?

Because I used to believe all of it. I had a born-again experience at age twenty, and for the next 15-20 years I was totally immersed in evangelical Christianity. I preached in churches, taught in a small Bible College in Cornwall England, and did a small amount of missionary work. Even though I no longer believe any of it, it's still an intense interest of mine. A lot of my life was defined by evangelical Christianity. So of course I still love to discuss it.

Jesus' divinity is found throughout the Bible. But there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Dave Armstrong

Sez you, weaksauce.

Because I used to believe all of it. I had a born-again experience at age twenty, and for the next 15-20 years I was totally immersed in evangelical Christianity. I preached in churches, taught in a small Bible College in Cornwall England, and did a small amount of missionary work. Even though I know longer believe any of it, it's still an intense interests of mine. A lot of my life was defined by evangelical Christianity. So of course I still love to discuss it.

:blahblah:

You're like a packed colon:

Full of shit.

Yessir!

Luke 2 KJV

Luke doesn't quote it either,

Sez you, weaksauce.

Because I used to believe all of it. I had a born-again experience at age twenty, and for the next 15-20 years I was totally immersed in evangelical Christianity. I preached in churches, taught in a small Bible College in Cornwall England, and did a small amount of missionary work. Even though I know longer believe any of it, it's still an intense interests of mine. A lot of my life was defined by evangelical Christianity. So of course I still love to discuss it.

Full of shit.

How very Christian of you.

Yessir!

Luke 2 KJV
Jesus forgave sins. He healed the sick. He raised the dead, then died and rose Himself. If that's not God, I don't know what is. And I have yet to receive an answer to a question I asked. If Jesus is not God, then where does ones Salvation from? If Jesus is not God, then a created being died for our sins. Our sin is against God. Therefore, He is the only one who can pay the price for that sin.

Jesus said he was God, and many prophets before him said he was God. Who is it that says something different? An utter moron?

That's my main theory. It's all seriously cut-and-dried, if you're not an idiot.

Do tell me what credibility you have, O Ye that claims Jesus is not God?

Jesus said he was God, and many prophets before him said he was God. Who is that says something different? An utter moron?

That's my main theory. It's all seriously cut-and-dried, if you're not an idiot.

Haha...I never thought of the synoptic writers as morons, but I guess you must, since they never call Jesus God. They simply didn't believe that he was God.

Sez you, weaksauce.

Full of shit.

How very Christian of you.

Fuck off, heathen faggot.

Believing in God doesn't mean I can't call you out for being a heathen piece of shit, which you are.

Trying to deceive with your bullshit. They don't call him "The Old Deluder" for nothing.

Way to be a turd, poop. :poop:

Dave Armstrong

Sez you, weaksauce.

Because I used to believe all of it. I had a born-again experience at age twenty, and for the next 15-20 years I was totally immersed in evangelical Christianity. I preached in churches, taught in a small Bible College in Cornwall England, and did a small amount of missionary work. Even though I no longer believe any of it, it's still an intense interest of mine. A lot of my life was defined by evangelical Christianity. So of course I still love to discuss it.
You were never born again.

Forum List

Back