Jefferson on judges who legislate

You won't see me cheering on any law made from a judge's bench. Ever.

I do applaud good JUDGEMENTS but that's a different issue.

A lot of people don't know this, but our "law" is made up of two, separate components: legislation and case law. This comes to us from the English common law, and has been maintained by our system ever since.

Many aspects of our system of laws are determined not by legislatively enacted laws, but by judicial decision, i.e., case law.

That is true, but many people also assume that just because something is case law it is also constitutional, that is incorrect, many many judicial decisions are unconstitutional, and eventually get overturned on said basis.

I find it hilarious when people decry a ruling by SCOTUS that they don't like as "legislating from the bench" , however there ARE legitimate cases of that happening, they are just VERY rare.

Jefferson on the Year 2010:

"I can't believe those guys are still taking me seriously after 200+ years! It's like I'm Jesus or something... *looks around* Oh... Sorry Jesus, didn't mean to offend."

And yet the Constitution only changes through the amendment process, not because a number of years has passed since it was written. It doesn't change just because we think something in it is outdated. We must amend it to change it.

Time for a new CONSTUTIONAL CONVENTION, folks.

Welcome to the TEA Party.

Yes. I really don't know what to say when people propose dismantling the constitution.
:eusa_eh:

That''s like Stalin saying 'I'm weary of people who propose collectivization'

Apples and submarines.

Our government allows elections and Amendments to the COTUS if necessary. Stalin provided bullets to those who disagreed with him.

As has America.

5414.jpg

Especially if they're non-whites and they have oil....

Jefferson on the Year 2010:

"I can't believe those guys are still taking me seriously after 200+ years! It's like I'm Jesus or something... *looks around* Oh... Sorry Jesus, didn't mean to offend."

And yet the Constitution only changes through the amendment process, not because a number of years has passed since it was written. It doesn't change just because we think something in it is outdated. We must amend it to change it.

I was just kiddin'. Jefferson's a great character. An oligarch and slave-owner, but all those cats had the right idea for their time.

Yes, Jefferson was a slave-owner. He was also one of the fiercest proponents of ending slavery.

I was just kiddin'. Jefferson's a great character. An oligarch and slave-owner, but all those cats had the right idea for their time.

Yes, Jefferson was a slave-owner. He was also one of the fiercest proponents of ending slavery.

6ahb2f0ojz-t.jpg

As was I with the picture from Kent State, ya fuckin' moron.

Easy killer. I just made an error, mostly based off your comments about non whites and oil.

As for Kent State. yeah, well those kids were terrorists. plain and simple.

Easy killer. I just made an error, mostly based off your comments about non whites and oil.

By that definition the Tea Party people must be terrorists as well, right?

Do you actually KNOW what happened at Kent State? Four days of building being looted and burned, four days of police being attacked with bottles and rocks, four days of people being beaten up , you got any evidence of Tea Parties doing that? If not , shut up.

Do you actually KNOW what happened at Kent State? Four days of building being looted and burned, four days of police being attacked with bottles and rocks, four days of people being beaten up , you got any evidence of Tea Parties doing that? If not , shut up.

Do you actually know? Were you there? I'm a student at Kent State now, but that doesn't mean I know all the facts. I do know, however, that shooting innocent students isn't the proper response to crimes being committed.

yes... putting a flowers in your gun barrel when you stick it in my face it totally just like 9-11 and OKC :cuckoo:

:lol: burning and looting buildings =/= putting flowers in gun barrells. Neither does throwing bottles and rocks at police and military members.

Educate yourself.

They were protesting My Lai and murder and conscription into a war against self-determination.

They were unarmed. It was a bunch of drunk bikers that started the vandalism.

They had tear gas back then.

Educate yourself.

Then we've Waco, Ruby Ridge, Military Order Number One and H.R.5122 to set the stage for future abuses....

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Are you serious? I think you and CircleJerk are the first people I've ever met who deny that happened. Do you deny the holocaust as well?

Forum List

Back