JB Morgan Chase now requires tech workers to give 6 month notice before quitting...

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
JPMorgan Chase requires tech workers give 6 months notice before quitting

A veteran JPMorgan Chase banker fumed over the financial giant’s policy requiring certain staffers to give six months’ notice before being allowed to leave for another job.

The Wall Street worker, who claims to earn around $400,000 annually in total compensation after accumulating 15 years of experience, griped that the lengthy notice period likely means a lucrative job offer from another company will be rescinded.

Taking to the social media platform Blind — which allows career professionals anonymity so that they can freely post without concern about retribution from their bosses — the worker in the e-trade division lamented over the policy.

A spokesperson for JPMorgan Chase told The Post: “In line with other e-trading organizations, some of our algo trading technology employees have an extended notice period. This affects a very small portion – less than 100 – of our 57,000 technologists.”

The Blind note went on to say the worker was amenable to staying through the notice period, “but I am pretty sure the new employer will rescind the offer and not wait 6 months.”

A source with knowledge of the situation said that the bank adopted the practice of requiring long notice periods because it was short-staffed when the notice periods were shorter.

The source added that the shorter notice periods resulted in “having a longer lead time for new hires to start which created business challenges from a talent perspective.”

They don't say what the 'penalty' is. Because, without some kind of actually enforceable penalty, otherwise I'd just say "here's my 6 month notice" and not come in anymore.

Oh wait I wonder if this is a work around to the coming FTC elimination of non-complete clauses?

Yet surprise layoffs of 1-9% of workforce will continue until performance improves.

See Silicon Valley. Hands up, dont touch keyboard come with us say the rented guards. Or...your badge dont work. Sent to a special site for paperwork.

No 6 mo. Not even 6 min. But a buzz around company weeks prior is a wARNING.

A veteran JPMorgan Chase banker fumed over the financial giant’s policy requiring certain staffers to give six months’ notice before being allowed to leave for another job.

The Wall Street worker, who claims to earn around $400,000 annually in total compensation after accumulating 15 years of experience, griped that the lengthy notice period likely means a lucrative job offer from another company will be rescinded.

Taking to the social media platform Blind — which allows career professionals anonymity so that they can freely post without concern about retribution from their bosses — the worker in the e-trade division lamented over the policy.

A spokesperson for JPMorgan Chase told The Post: “In line with other e-trading organizations, some of our algo trading technology employees have an extended notice period. This affects a very small portion – less than 100 – of our 57,000 technologists.”

The Blind note went on to say the worker was amenable to staying through the notice period, “but I am pretty sure the new employer will rescind the offer and not wait 6 months.”

A source with knowledge of the situation said that the bank adopted the practice of requiring long notice periods because it was short-staffed when the notice periods were shorter.

The source added that the shorter notice periods resulted in “having a longer lead time for new hires to start which created business challenges from a talent perspective.”

They don't say what the 'penalty' is. Because, without some kind of actually enforceable penalty, otherwise I'd just say "here's my 6 month notice" and not come in anymore.

Oh wait I wonder if this is a work around to the coming FTC elimination of non-complete clauses?
Outside of C level execs, I've never heard of a policy like this for the average worker. There has to be more to this story.
As far as former employers, I've never paid attention to non-compete clauses. There are virtually un-enforceable in my line of technology.
Now, I've seen some successfully implemented with high volume salespeople as far as poaching and moving clients when they leave.

But yeah, if there's no "training your replacement", give your six months..and "I'm workin from home". :)

This whole article is completely pointless unless they say what the penalty is if you DO leave without the six-month notice!!!!!

It's purely clickbait, I suppose, unless it is simple propaganda in favor of stopping the no-compete clauses in contracts.

This whole article is completely pointless unless they say what the penalty is if you DO leave without the six-month notice!!!!!

It's purely clickbait, I suppose, unless it is simple propaganda in favor of stopping the no-compete clauses in contracts.

Pay back signing bonus. Maybe all bonus given?

Seems like a lose/lose

6 months mean I can’t sit on a job offer
It also means 6 months of bad or damaging performance

I'm robbing Chase blind in those six months ... as a boss, I never accepted these "notices" ... two weeks is polite but I'd send the losers on their way that instant ... or there'll be a fist fight ...

Is it legal without paying their full salary and benefits for the 6 months?

I was paid for a year with benefits, to not work for any of my company's competitors, when I was pink slipped in a chapter 11. My agreement was 6 months but they asked for it to be longer, and I was fine with it, as long as I was getting paid. I spent my time networking for a new job the first 6 months, but by the end of the next 6 months, my husband and I both, liked me being a homemaker and I have never worked again..... We had a hard lesson on how to live well making much less money, but we've perfected it, by now...20+ years later....

My position involved product marketing, creating the product we were going to sell, 18 months down the road from initial creation, which could seriously hurt their position in the market place if I divulged it to a competitor...giving the competitor an edge against them...

I don't know the critical aspect of this guys work is... and why his position has this type of agreement....but I can say...

It would not be legal, without them giving him full pay and benefits for the 6 months imo.

Ain't life a bitch when you are an overpaid wage slave.

Pay back signing bonus. Maybe all bonus given?
Get unvested in the stock options? Not get a good recommendation, ever? There would be such possibilities for pressure --- but my point is, if the article didn't say anything about the penalty, then it's nothing but a propaganda piece. For what reason, is not clear.

Get unvested in the stock options? Not get a good recommendation, ever? There would be such possibilities for pressure --- but my point is, if the article didn't say anything about the penalty, then it's nothing but a propaganda piece. For what reason, is not clear.
JB Morgan-Case is what they say of CA....As they go so goes the country.....Well so goes the business world.

That said I suspect it has more to do with FTC ruling.

The penalty is for breaking the non disclosure etc agreement signed, is you can be sued by them... Most won't sue. The penalty is nothing, most of the time.

This policy would only impact some highly compensated workers.
You could still leave, but if they didn't want you to work for a competitor
during that period, they would have to pay you your salary, benefits not included.

Is it legal without paying their full salary and benefits for the 6 months?

I was paid for a year with benefits, to not work for any of my company's competitors, when I was pink slipped in a chapter 11. My agreement was 6 months but they asked for it to be longer, and I was fine with it, as long as I was getting paid. I spent my time networking for a new job the first 6 months, but by the end of the next 6 months, my husband and I both, liked me being a homemaker and I have never worked again..... We had a hard lesson on how to live well making much less money, but we've perfected it, by now...20+ years later....

My position involved product marketing, creating the product we were going to sell, 18 months down the road from initial creation, which could seriously hurt their position in the market place if I divulged it to a competitor...giving the competitor an edge against them...

I don't know the critical aspect of this guys work is... and why his position has this type of agreement....but I can say...

It would not be legal, without them giving him full pay and benefits for the 6 months imo.
So, they were going bankrupt and paying you to not work for their competitor as they were closing shop? Were they restructuring and you commit to being hired there? If not, no wonder they were going belly up.

It would be interesting for a competitor to test this. Hire a guy and tell him he can start in 6 months and tell him to git sit at his desk for 6 months at Chase doing nothing.

Forum List

Back