Jarhead

BATMAN

Dec 6, 2005
Ken-Tenn USA
I rented this movie last night - it was a disappointment. Taking place during the first Gulf War, it follows the "boredom" of the Marines who are there to waste their time waiting for Desert Storm to begin. Of course it showed how some of the equipment did not properly work and that all Marines really want is to kill anyone just for the fun of it - and if there is no one to kill, shoot a camel.

Definately not a "pro" military movie.

I just got off the phone with my brother who did serve in GW1 in the Marines and he watched it last night as well. The movie is based on a book by the guy who was played by Gylanhal. My brother said it was a pretty accurate description of how things were.

I sort of liked the storyline of being a trained killing machine, getting mentally prepared for intense situations, and then spend all of your time doing nothing, reaping no reward, to be teased with the potential of taking out an enemy only to be ursurped by a bomber squadron. You watched how a soldier reacts when they realize they're not a crucial or meaningful part of the war effort. I don't think it was pro or anti military, and I too have also been told that movie is a fairly close representation to how things were.

Said1 said:
Especially the Bugal scene. :laugh:

I read the book. He actually didn't have to do that, but almost did. A lot of parts in the movie did not parallel with the book, like the burned Iraqi's, them getting shot up by A-10's, and the climax scene with them about to snipe that guy, but the guy getting bombed. Instead there were a lot of flashbacks to Swafford's lifewhich were obviously not portrayed in the movie. Actually, a lot of parts of the book I enjoyed had nothing to do with the war.

I liked the movie, but parts of it were exaggerated and stupid media-loving people go, "oh that's what the military does," when in reality, it's not.

BATMAN said:
I rented this movie last night - it was a disappointment. Taking place during the first Gulf War, it follows the "boredom" of the Marines who are there to waste their time waiting for Desert Storm to begin. Of course it showed how some of the equipment did not properly work and that all Marines really want is to kill anyone just for the fun of it - and if there is no one to kill, shoot a camel.

Definately not a "pro" military movie.
I don't get why it's not a pro-military movie. My dad used to be in the Navy and deported Marines on an average basis in Vietnam and I think the Gulf War (not sure on the last part), but from what HE has told me about them, the movie is accurate about them. Crazy tough-headed fucks who just want to shoot and kill things.

Semper Fi said:
I read the book. He actually didn't have to do that, but almost did. A lot of parts in the movie did not parallel with the book, like the burned Iraqi's, them getting shot up by A-10's, and the climax scene with them about to snipe that guy, but the guy getting bombed. Instead there were a lot of flashbacks to Swafford's lifewhich were obviously not portrayed in the movie. Actually, a lot of parts of the book I enjoyed had nothing to do with the war.

I liked the movie, but parts of it were exaggerated and stupid media-loving people go, "oh that's what the military does," when in reality, it's not.

Always the case with the book itsn't it? I'd still like to read the book after seeing the movie, there is always so much more detail .

Forum List

Back