Hey Brokeback Mountain Author - Want Some Cheese With That Whine?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN author ANNIE PROULX has slated the Academy Awards for giving the Best Picture Oscar to CRASH at this year's (06) presentation ceremony.

In an essay published by British newspaper The Guardian, Proulx describes voters as "out of touch" and "segregated" from current issues, and insists they were easily influenced by Crash's production company Lions Gate Entertainment. She writes, "Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. "And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of 'Trash' - excuse me, Crash - a few weeks before the ballot deadline. "Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/brokeback author slates oscars_14_03_2006

In an essay published by British newspaper The Guardian, Proulx describes voters as "out of touch" and "segregated" from current issues, and insists they were easily influenced by Crash's production company Lions Gate Entertainment.

Yes, because if anybody's gonna be afraid to be progressive and liberal, it's Hollywood. :rolleyes:

And, of course Lions Gate would have a lot of influence over Hollywood. I mean, they've had, what, three popular movies over the past five years? Oh, and they're based out of Canada. But, yeah, the company behind Bubba Ho-Tep would probably be influential as hell.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

look it was a predicable (gay sheep herders) stupid love story about adultery with two mediocre actors......they got their ass handed to them by a better movie better written with better actors....graceful in defeat....everything is always someone elses fault in liberal world

manu1959 said:
look it was a predicable (gay sheep herders) stupid love story about adultery with two mediocre actors......they got their ass handed to them by a better movie better written with better actors....graceful in defeat....

everything is always someone elses fault in liberal world

That simple statement bears repeating. It is the very essence of the liberal outlook and it's innumerable failed policies.

:clap:

Dan said:
Yes, because if anybody's gonna be afraid to be progressive and liberal, it's Hollywood. :rolleyes:

And, of course Lions Gate would have a lot of influence over Hollywood. I mean, they've had, what, three popular movies over the past five years? Oh, and they're based out of Canada. But, yeah, the company behind Bubba Ho-Tep would probably be influential as hell.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I've noticed I like a lot of Lions Gate films.

Hey, I love Lions Gate movies, but I wouldn't call Saw or Dogma Oscar material or the kind of material that can heavily influence the Academy Awards.

Just a few recent great Lions Gate films:

Hostel
Lord of War
The Devil's Rejects
Grizzly Man

And, the thing I never really even thought about: who friggin' cares about the Academy Awards? Annie Proulx, apparently. How self-absorbed do you have to be to get critical praise, a decent box-office turnout, as much press as friggin' Star Wars, then get mad to the point of taking it to the press that your movie won THREE awards instead of four? I actually considered watching Brokeback when it came out on video until I read this.

With such great lines as "I wish I knew how to quit you". . . whimper. How could it have lost?

Dan said:
Hey, I love Lions Gate movies, but I wouldn't call Saw or Dogma Oscar material or the kind of material that can heavily influence the Academy Awards.

Just a few recent great Lions Gate films:

Hostel
Lord of War
The Devil's Rejects
Grizzly Man
My list wasn't academny worthy, it was claytaurus worthy ;)

I was surprised I liked Saw as much as I did. I think part of it was seeing Danny Glover reduced to a whimpering, obsessive, non-sensical pile of insanity.

Dan said:

Hey! I liked Bubba Ho-Tep! :rock:

Eh, screw Annie Whatshername. There's been so much talk about how out of touch Hollywood is with mainstream America, so she takes those kind of phrases and tries to turn them to her advantage. Yeah, Hollywood is so out of touch that they don't realize people have been waiting for a gay sheepherder movie for years.

It's either pure sour grapes, or a weak attempt to guilt the Academy into giving her an Oscar next year. Something tells me it may backfire on her.

Forum List

Back