James Cameron "Avatar" planet Pandora = Garden of Eden?

VeganMe

Newly vegan
Jul 28, 2012
Do you think James Cameron meant to portray Pandora (the alien planet in the film) as a "Garden of Eden?" There are half-naked and beautiful people running around. The earth is tropical, like paradise with towering green trees and untouched habitats. Nothing on earth is so beautiful as a night in Pandora, where every living thing lights up and glows every color you can imagine. The people of the planet are primitive yet happy living in harmony with nature.

Am I the only one who thinks Avatar's world was inspired by the Garden of Eden? Everything in it (plants, animals, people) is so gorgeous and peaceful. Not like the steel cities we have in today's world.

The metaphor of Eden is so omnipresent in our society that it is impossible to interpret the film otherwise. It had to have been affected by the idea. It also had strong influence from Rousseau and the concept of 'the noble savage'. This false image of an uncorrupted native in perfect tune with nature did not exist in reality, but made a pleasant tableau.
Cameron's child-like representation of this physical paradise was one of the strong and weak points at the same time. It made the film exquisitely beautiful and absurdly trite.
The originality of making humans the extraterrestrial invaders was novel, but representing nature itself as going to war against them was the height of anthropomorphism and, so, rather silly.

When I look back on my childhood I'm pretty sure I thought it was Eden at the time..just sayin

Do you think James Cameron meant to portray Pandora (the alien planet in the film) as a "Garden of Eden?" There are half-naked and beautiful people running around. The earth is tropical, like paradise with towering green trees and untouched habitats. Nothing on earth is so beautiful as a night in Pandora, where every living thing lights up and glows every color you can imagine. The people of the planet are primitive yet happy living in harmony with nature.

Am I the only one who thinks Avatar's world was inspired by the Garden of Eden? Everything in it (plants, animals, people) is so gorgeous and peaceful. Not like the steel cities we have in today's world.

I find it interesting that you bring it up :) I was thinking along the same lines recently after watching the film, but moreso that Cameron was trying to attempt something through film that only the Lord could do anyhow. From what I understand Mr. Cameron has called himself a "converted agnostic", which seems to say he's saying he's a proclaimed atheist...

James Cameron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Cameron calls himself "Converted Agnostic", and says "I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism". As a child he described the Lord's Prayer as being a 'tribal chant'"

But yes... I was thinking since he's an atheist (which indidates an antichrist spirit)...he's attempting to create or mimic something beautiful on film.. (which yes, it was beautiful in many ways, I enjoyed the film)... only what the Lord Himself could create actually, if so God wills, and way beyond that. Beyond our imagination or Mr. Cameron's. It is written:

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Last edited:
"...he's an atheist (which indidates an antichrist spirit)..."

I hope you can see the trap you construct for yourself in thinking and speaking this way. There is no logical path. Atheist = antichrist? That serves neither you nor the faith you proclaim. Atheist may be non-Christ, but is not necessarily anti. It implies being without, not caring. Antichristian has to be active.
The Antichrist is pictured leading armies against the faithful. If you give a religious war, count on the atheists not coming.
Be careful of the ideas you have and avoid being had.

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

"neither have entered into the heart of man" - how foolish a quote.

nothing to do with love nor in preparation but simply for the fulfillment of Gods prophecy to attain Remittance, back from which they are expelled the Garden of Eden or perish.

No, I think he was ripping off Disney's Pocahontas.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGOCodaM4UM]Avatar and Pocahontas Side-by-Side - YouTube[/ame]

JmRmb.jpg

"...he's an atheist (which indidates an antichrist spirit)..."

I hope you can see the trap you construct for yourself in thinking and speaking this way. There is no logical path. Atheist = antichrist? That serves neither you nor the faith you proclaim. Atheist may be non-Christ, but is not necessarily anti. It implies being without, not caring. Antichristian has to be active.
The Antichrist is pictured leading armies against the faithful. If you give a religious war, count on the atheists not coming.
Be careful of the ideas you have and avoid being had.

It speaks 100% of the faith I proclaim in Jesus Christ/His Word. I'm not thinking that way all by myself, it's what is written in the Bible about antichrist spirits (see verse(s) below). Proclaiming atheism is 100% antichrist spirit; according to the Word of God. There are many antichrist spirits, not just the "final" antichrist.

1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

That being said, God is greater than the enemy of His creation, Satan, whom He created also. The Lord can do anything... For example, before I knew that Jesus Christ is Lord of all - I used to have an antichrist spirit myself. It's written in the Bible and I believe to be 100% truth.

Which, by the way, if the atheist is 100% sure that there is no God, why would it bother them or anyone else anyhow? They can write us off as loons as is the case many many times. :D

1 John 4:2-4
King James Version (KJV)
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Last edited:
Is the devil so stupid that he wouldn't know he couldn't win against the One who created him? Or is the devil just Masochistic?

These stories can only, at best, be metaphors to help people think, not a replacement for thinking.

Religions limit God. If God is God, there are no limits as humans could possibly understand them.

God cannot be the little man on a little throne concerning himself with the trite and existentially ridiculous.

Or, God does not exist, at least in any sense so far described.

Psst. It was fantasy. The only reality about it is what humans do to everything when they show up.

^Very true, unfortunately.
"Sky people cannot learn, they do not see! - Neytiri from Avatar

I don't know, I found Avatar painfully boring. I've never made it through the movie, and believe me, I've tried.

Were there blue dog lizard people in Eden?

^I think you mean "blue cat people." The Na'vi had more feline qualities.

Cats don't have round pupils.

Maybe they're blue lizard monkey people. Were their tails prehensile?

I don't remember...I fell asleep.

No, when they swung through the trees it was mainly by their arms/hands. Their tails just seemed to flick around playfully in the movie.

Forum List

Back