Jackie Chan weighs in on China-Japan island dispute

ski87

Mar 11, 2010
New Mexico
I agree with Jackie on this one, Japan really needs to back thehell off, they need to recognize their place in East AsiaTOKYO —

Who doesn’t love Jackie Chan? His movies are entertaining, he does his own stunts, he’s a great role model and he’s got a smile that could tame a lion. The 58-year-old entertainer is one of the most well-known and well-loved stars in the world, and Japan is no exception.

Which is why it must have felt like a roundhouse kick to the face when he officially threw his weight behind the home team regarding the Senkaku Island dispute this week.

“The Diaoyu Islands (Chinese name for Senkaku Islands) definitely belong to China,” said Chan, who was in Taiwan to film scenes for his upcoming film “Chinese Zodiac.

He added, “The Diaoyu Islands belong to China, but what I say doesn’t count. It is up to the government to deal with it; I wish I was Superman, so I could pull the islands closer.“

Chan was asked for his opinion by Taiwanese media, who egged him on by suggesting that the theme of Chinese Zodiac, recovering treasures stolen from China by foreigners, fit perfectly with Chinese public sentiment over the ongoing territorial dispute.

When asked by the media if he would ever consider filming on the islands, he replied he would not as it is a sensitive issue and there would be nothing to gain.

If only Japan had an international celebrity with enough cultural muscle to offset Jackie Chan…

Source: MSN Japan
Jackie Chan weighs in on China-Japan island dispute ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

What the hell would you expect Jackie Chan to say? He tried to be as diplomatic about it as he could.

What the hell would you expect Jackie Chan to say? He tried to be as diplomatic about it as he could.

bottom line is..Japan is mistaken in its claim and I agree wholeheartedly, they need to give this up now. They dont have the clout to back up their argument if they were justified in their claim.

bottom line is..Japan is mistaken in its claim and I agree wholeheartedly, they need to give this up now. They dont have the clout to back up their argument if they were justified in their claim.

Oh yeah, the opinion of some doofus from New Mexico will decide the matter. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, the opinion of some doofus from New Mexico will decide the matter. :rolleyes:

Once again, dismissed, the thread is not about what I think, its about Jackie Chan's viewpoint on these Islands, and he says the islands are China's, thats it

Once again, dismissed, the thread is not about what I think, its about Jackie Chan's viewpoint on these Islands, and he says the islands are China's, thats it

When YOU say "the bottom line is..." and then give your OPINION, that is you talking about what you think. Understand? Niether you nor some actor will resolve this contentious issue, of course.

China is just making crap up. The islands are Japanese. Both the Chinese and Taiwanese government maps from the 1960s show the islands as Japanese territory. China conveniently manufactured a Chinese claim to the islands only after oil was discovered in the area.

Yeah, maybe China owned them a thousand years ago. Just as Rome once owned the Mediterranean, but that doesn't justify handing that whole region over to Italy now. Recent history is what counts, and Japan has officially held them for more than a century.

China is just making crap up. The islands are Japanese. Both the Chinese and Taiwanese government maps from the 1960s show the islands as Japanese territory. China conveniently manufactured a Chinese claim to the islands only after oil was discovered in the area.

Yeah, maybe China owned them a thousand years ago. Just as Rome once owned the Mediterranean, but that doesn't justify handing that whole region over to Italy now. Recent history is what counts, and Japan has officially held them for more than a century.

Source???

At least I got Jackie Chan as a source, now please cite yours.

Source? Some actor giving his personal opinion is a source? A source for what?

do try and keep pace with the discussion, you're embarrassing yourself, a SOURCE for his claim that the island belongs to Japan and NOT China

do try and keep pace with the discussion, you're embarrassing yourself, a SOURCE for his claim that the island belongs to Japan and NOT China

Yeah, got it professor. The only "source" you have provided is the actor himself. Are YOU following along?

Yeah, got it professor. The only "source" you have provided is the actor himself. Are YOU following along?

ya, its kinda in the title of the thread, good job

The Japan Times....really? gee, seems a little bias dontcha think?? haha. Ya, lets stick with an AP source, umkay? Ya, AP means Associated Press.

Nobody would care if those islands didn't have oil.

And now that the USA's MASTERS have made Communist China an economic force to be reckoned with, Japan might find it has a real problem.

Forum List

Back