I've come to the conclusion that FDR was the best president this country ever had

Why do I say this???
Simple, he started 45 years of economic growth, centered government around helping the little guy, the middle class under him and the next 4 presidents that followed some of his ideas grew like a weed.

1. Biggest middle class on earth 30 years after the new deal!!!
2. Taking a country where the poor had very little and turning a lot of that into the middle class! This wouldn't change until Reagans bs polices shifted shit against the middle class in the 1980's! All one needs to understand is far more people worked for far more and the rich paid there taxes from the 30's through the 70's.
3. Best education system on earth from 1940's-1960's
4. America was number one in science and r&d spending. In most ways it was because of men like FDR!!! I seriously doubt the presidents before him could of done the same! They were too fucking worried wanting to stand around with their dick in their hands.
5. FDR regulated food, drug and pushed for better health for America...

One could argue that Reagan tried to pull us to pre-fdr ideas and it failed. Why the hell shouldn't we use what works???

FDR did none of the such. He was actually one of the worst presidents this country has ever had. Kept us in an extended depression, stacked courts etc.

If historians changed history by even counting the name-calling, FDR would still be rated as America's best president. Historians know, for example, that changing the numbers on the Court to get a favorable verdict had been done a number of times before FDR, and how long did America sit waiting for a chicken in every pot. But as Hoover said, America had formed new businesses to handle the depression: selling apples on street corners.

FDR was elected on a promise to end the recession. Under his leadership or lack of it during his first two terms the recession turned into a man killing soup line bodies in ditches depression, The Great Depression. He didn't have the decency to bow out after two terms but went on to four terms. He was so feeble during his 4th campaign that the DNC lied to Americans about his health and hand picked his successor when they knew he would not live through it. His health was so bad that Stalin walked all over him during the Yalta meeting and it set the stage for the Iron Curtain. After he died his medical records disappeared from a locked safe and the media wasn't the least bit curious. An Amendment had to be ratified to keep egomaniacs like him for crowning themselves king. Hitler came into power at the same time FDR was elected and the U.S. foreign policy was chaotic and limited to trying to collect the WW1 debt from Germany while Hitler's atrocities were ignored until it was too late. FDR campaigned on a lie for his 3rd term. He promised that American kids would never be sent to fight a foreign war while he was so desperate to get into the "real" war in Europe that he criminally underestimated Japan while he goaded them into the attack that sacrificed 3,000 Americans at Pearl Harbor. He tried to stack the Supreme Court with 20 Justices and rewrite the Constitution and he nominated a former KKK member to the Court who wrote the majority opinion justifying the incarceration of American citizens based on their ethnicity. The only thing FDR had going for him was the full and total support of the media and the media writes the pop history.

Last edited:
No single action has ever done more harm to America than the Iraq invasion.

Nonsense.

FDR's cowing the Supreme Court was the end of America.

In 1935, the Supreme Court upheld the New Deal repudiation of gold payments in government contracts and private contracts .... Justice McReynolds declared in a dissenting opinion that "the Constitution as we have known it is gone." The Brookshire Times from Brookshire, Texas · Page 2

If historians changed history by even counting the name-calling, FDR would still be rated as America's best president. Historians know, for example, that changing the numbers on the Court to get a favorable verdict had been done a number of times before FDR, and how long did America sit waiting for a chicken in every pot. But as Hoover said, America had formed new businesses to handle the depression: selling apples on street corners.

Change what history? You can actually point out the simularities between Hitler's economic revival program and FDR's.

I think Americans should be ashamed for electing a man like FDR. They guy actually imprisoned innocent Japenese in this country. He did change a lot of things in America but he changed it for the worse. I guess that is what happens when you live one whole generation under his domination. People begin to get submissive to their governments. I don't know how much people were afraid of their own governments before FDR but I do see around me today and notice that a lot of people are afraid of those in power. They know that it is used unfairly against those they don't like. An example is I got pulled over once. My vehicle has a patriotic symbol on it. I don't know if I got pulled over because I was breaking the law or because the cop saw my symbol of patriotims as 'anit-government'. I could be wrong...I could be right...but I do know that previous generations did not fear their own government's retribution against them. This fear is probably causing me to think what are the true motives behind the police officer's action against me. It could be completely false but the fact I question it means that collectively we have had enough experience with government intimidation that I now wonder why did the government choose me to punish and not others for the same offense.

No single action has ever done more harm to America than the Iraq invasion.
See, I think the Iraq invasion will go down as an enormous mistake, but I don't agree with this. Either Madison allowing the USA to actually get into the War of 1812 or Buchanan deciding not to take any action on the secession (either for or against) would rank higher. Madison very nearly cost the USA independence and Buchanan ultimately extended the Civil War.

Woodrow Wilson though is the hands down worst President ever. None of his actions rise to the War of 1812 or Buchanan being incompetent, but botching the Treaty of Versailles, botching the League of Nations negotiations, pulling the USA into WWI over the will of the people, botching the response to the Great Influenza Outbreak (which ended up killing more people than the bubonic plague), institutionalizing racism in the Federal Government....that guy sucked.

The extent of the damage to the US in treasure, lives and international disgrace of Iraq, as a single action, surpasses all others. The Civil War involved several mistakes, at least. Many single events tie for terrible. War with Mexico, war with Spain, the Phillipeans, Tonkin Gulf, Bay of Pigs...

Say, does anyone want to see Trump's impersonation of FDR?

Well when all the name calling is done, historians still rate FDR as one of the top three American presidents and recently the top president. Conservative historians rate FDR as third greatest. The American people voted for FDR four times and the Republicans in their stupidity, or knowing they would never have an FDR, got a Constitutional Amendment to keep FDR as a record holder. FDR had no plan to do battle with the depression, certainly the Republicans with four years of Hoover had no plan, but FDR said he would experiment and he did. Kids that had hit the road to find a job found a job in the three C's, adults if they could work were given jobs, better than soup lines and breaking up families, and they built.
Yep, FDR still the top president even after all these years, and we should try to understand the Republican hurt.

When I started working in the mid 60's after my navy hitch, I worked with a few older guys who went through the depression. Some worked for the WPA. To a man they all agreed that FDR policies were what the country needed. They said that during the depression, having a job building roads etc. lifted their spirits and pride, as well as putting money in their pockets. Never heard any of these guys badmouth FDR either.

Why do I say this???
Simple, he started 45 years of economic growth, centered government around helping the little guy, the middle class under him and the next 4 presidents that followed some of his ideas grew like a weed.

2. Taking a country where the poor had very little and turning a lot of that into the middle class! This wouldn't change until Reagans bs polices shifted shit against the middle class in the 1980's! All one needs to understand is far more people worked for far more and the rich paid there taxes from the 30's through the 70's.
4. America was number one in science and r&d spending. In most ways it was because of men like FDR!!! I seriously doubt the presidents before him could of done the same! They were too fucking worried wanting to stand around with their dick in their hands.

One could argue that Reagan tried to pull us to pre-fdr ideas and it failed. Why the hell shouldn't we use what works???

You should do a little research on FDR. He sure as shit wasn't the best POTUS this country ever had. His bullshit extended the GD and the ONLY thing that got us out of it was WWII. He was a great war time leader but as a POTUS with no war he sucked.

I've been hearing this from republicans for the last 50 or more years. FDR threw money away on his anti poverty plan that included building buildings and dams, and repairing infrastructure, while putting formerly unemployed people to work. Those workers then got a government paycheck and purchased things, putting other people to work. Then along comes the anti FDR republicans saying that WW2 is what got us out of the depression!!! Imagine, spending billions building a war machine that mostly blows up buildings and bridges and entire countries is what it takes to end depressions!! Sure. OK.

Why do I say this???

You should do a little research on FDR. He sure as shit wasn't the best POTUS this country ever had. His bullshit extended the GD and the ONLY thing that got us out of it was WWII. He was a great war time leader but as a POTUS with no war he sucked.

I've been hearing this from republicans for the last 50 or more years. FDR threw money away on his anti poverty plan that included building buildings and dams, and repairing infrastructure, while putting formerly unemployed people to work. Those workers then got a government paycheck and purchased things, putting other people to work. Then along comes the anti FDR republicans saying that WW2 is what got us out of the depression!!! Imagine, spending billions building a war machine that mostly blows up buildings and bridges and entire countries is what it takes to end depressions!! Sure. OK.
By the time WWII came around the unemployment rate had gone down to below 10%. The FDR critics have opinions for trash talking him. Historians and those who recognize his accomplishments have facts. Even in this thread, someone posted that FDR inherited a recession instead of the Great Depression, which every historical account attributes to the market crash of 1929, which was four years before FDR became President. When he came into office the unemployment was over 20% and banks were closing their doors as they went broke from have their depositors withdraw their funds and literally, stuff it under their mattresses.
In addition to inheriting the Great Depression, FDR had to deal with the phenomenon called the Dust Bowl storms that destroyed agriculture and the businesses related to it in major states. If that weren't enough, a coming war was on the horizon and America was horribly unprepared. Isolationist refused to prepare and strengthen the military with manpower or providing it with an abundance of modern weapons, but they couldn't stop FDR from overseeing the development of all the tools of war that would be used to defeat both Germany and Japan. When the Congress finally saw the picture the weapons that were needed had been developed and were ready for mass production. In fact, some, such as the new class of aircraft carrier had already begun. The most modern aircraft were already tested and even more were in development. Everything from the Garrand infantry rifle to the Sherman Tank was on the table awaiting funds.

Why do I say this???

He put the country into the greatest depression we have ever had and if we hadn't destoryed the industrial capability of all the other countries of the world with WW2 we would have still been in a depression after the war.......

He created government programs that are killing this country.....

please...do more research...

Go take a fucking history class
The great depression started under Hoover in 1929(Republican liberterian idiot in many ways) and Hitler declared war on us and Japan attacked us at Pearl harbor.

FDR built the world power we'd become from 1940-1980! In many ways the power we still are even after Reagan.

Critics of FDR like to ignore how he put people to work preparing for WWII despite an uncooperative Congress. He did it through the use of New Deal programs. Navy and Coast Gaurd ports were built as others were enlarged and improved. National Guard Armories were built and forts expanded. Airports popped up all over the country as others, like the ports and forts, were improved and enlarged. When the country finally went to war, it realized, understood and appreciated the vision and foresight of FDR.

Forum List

Back