It's Time For Robo-Umps

Crime is as traditional as bad calls by umpires.

I want both removed, you dunce.
Wow you mist have been looking in the mirror when you wrote that.

I don't know if it's sad or funny that you get so emotionally wrapped up in a meaningless game or that you are STUPID enough to think that a person being mugged is the same thing as an ump calling a ball a strike.

Wow you mist have been looking in the mirror when you wrote that.

I don't know if it's sad or funny that you get so emotionally wrapped up in a meaningless game or that you are STUPID enough to think that a person being mugged is the same thing as an ump calling a ball a strike.

I just proved my point and you are so stupid you don't realize that I buried you.

I just proved my point and you are so stupid you don't realize that I buried you.
HArdly but you obviously are so insecure that you have to be "right" on the internet.

Go whine to your MOmmy about those mean old umpires that have so much of an emotional effect on you

HArdly but you obviously are so insecure that you have to be "right" on the internet.

Go whine to your MOmmy about those mean old umpires that have so much of an emotional effect on you

What a vapid attempt to save face.

But why????

You had none to begin with, gormless.

(pssttttt....don't look that up....it'll ruin your day.)

Your enmity for robo-umpires proves it is exactly that.
No I just realize all the 2nd and 3rd order of effects that you are obviously not thinking of if robo umps ever came about. Baseball would be far worse off if they do it for a multitude of reasons.

I would go with a robo-call and raise you a standardized strike zone.

Rather than worrying about whose knees are THiS high and whose armpits are THAT high, make the strike zone (for example) 24" above the plate to 48" above the plate for everyone.

And remember, if ANY PART of the ball goes over ANY PART of the plate in the strike zone, it's a strike. So it is conceivable that a ball in the strike zone could even be in the dirt when it reaches the catcher.

Parenthetically, I personally believe that when the Braves had their run of division championships with Glavine, Smoltz and all, they regularly deceived the umpires by their catchers SETTING UP outside. When the ump saw the ball go directly into the catcher's mitt, he called it a strike, even though it was outside. This was done day after day for a decade and the umps never caught on. It gave their pitchers a tremendous advantage.

It is always disturbing to be watching a game on TV and see an ump make a mistaken call that impacts the game. I don't fault the umps; they do a tremendous job. But since the technology exists to get it right, the technology should be used.

Rather than worrying about whose knees are THiS high and whose armpits are THAT high, make the strike zone (for example) 24" above the plate to 48" above the plate for everyone.

And remember, if ANY PART of the ball goes over ANY PART of the plate in the strike zone, it's a strike. So it is conceivable that a ball in the strike zone could even be in the dirt when it reaches the catcher.

Parenthetically, I personally believe that when the Braves had their run of division championships with Glavine, Smoltz and all, they regularly deceived the umpires by their catchers SETTING UP outside. When the ump saw the ball go directly into the catcher's mitt, he called it a strike, even though it was outside. This was done day after day for a decade and the umps never caught on. It gave their pitchers a tremendous advantage.

It is always disturbing to be watching a game on TV and see an ump make a mistaken call that impacts the game. I don't fault the umps; they do a tremendous job. But since the technology exists to get it right, the technology should be used.
Understand what you're saying with the strike zone but Aaron Slegers (TB Rays) is 6'10" Jose Altuve is 5'6". And the zone is determined by where the players knees and letters (not that any MLB umps call much above the belt anymore) are at the point they are ready to swing in other words after they load and stride not how they are in their stance. Im not sure you can have a one size fits all zone.

And to your point about where the zone actually is, the pitch you talk about catching the front edge of the plate and being in the dirt when the catcher gets it, is absolutely a strike but is never called with a human ump, would be with a robot and is an unhittable pitch. You would see tons of pitches like that and batting averages would plummet, HR's would be basically non existent. The other thing that would likely happen is an even greater focus on pure pitch velo which would lead to more injuries in pitchers.

They are going to try it in the minor's hopefully it never gets to the Majors. The tried outlawing the shift in 2 or 3 A. and that was a bust.

It is the consistency that we would achieve.

As far as the strike zone as compared to the variation in player sizes.....I believe it could/would be automatically adjusted.

1649707481498.png

Eddie Gaedel​

Baseball player

Description​

Edward Carl Gaedel was the smallest player to appear in a Major League Baseball game. Gaedel gained recognition in the second game of a St. Louis Browns doubleheader on August 19, 1951. Weighing 60 pounds and standing 3 feet 7 inches tall, he became the shortest player in the history of the Major Leagues. Wikipedia

The announcers were conjecturing on whether Laz Dias was a hitter's upm or a pitcher's umpire.

The answer is he should be neither: he should be the baseball rules umpire.

And, assuming he wants to be exactly that......he's not doing a good enough job.

View attachment 628284

We don't pay for 89% accuracy.

If the technologhy is there, let's have 100% accuracy.......you know.....like my threads.

I agree up until the last three words.

The other night.......

1649875299162.png

Gee......he only missed 17% of the strikes.

Democrats probably feel that that's close enough.......but I demand better.

The announcers were conjecturing on whether Laz Dias was a hitter's upm or a pitcher's umpire.

The answer is he should be neither: he should be the baseball rules umpire.

And, assuming he wants to be exactly that......he's not doing a good enough job.

View attachment 628284

We don't pay for 89% accuracy.

If the technologhy is there, let's have 100% accuracy.......you know.....like my threads.

I don't think so. Arguing with the umpire is a tremendous part of the game, and its sort of futile to argue with a machine.

Forum List

Back