It's Time For Robo-Umps

Is it your claim that there will never be robo-umpires?

That technology will not be used to call balls and strikes?

They will probably have robo-umpires sooner rather than later, I just don't think its really that great of an idea.

Having a degree of uncertainty about the calls provides a way for the losing team to save face "I was robbed", creating more tension and anticipation for the rematch between the teams.

Remember, this is just a kid's game- it isn't like brain surgery where close to 100% accuracy is critical for success.

They will probably have robo-umpires sooner rather than later, I just don't think its really that great of an idea.

Having a degree of uncertainty about the calls provides a way for the losing team to save face "I was robbed", creating more tension and anticipation for the rematch between the teams.

Remember, this is just a kid's game- it isn't like brain surgery where close to 100% accuracy is critical for success.

But they often are 'robbed.'

OK with you?

25 years as professional umpire, and the best he can do is miss 18% of the strike calls.

Time for Robo-umpires!!!!!

1650562943476.png

The announcers were conjecturing on whether Laz Dias was a hitter's upm or a pitcher's umpire.

The answer is he should be neither: he should be the baseball rules umpire.

And, assuming he wants to be exactly that......he's not doing a good enough job.

View attachment 628284

We don't pay for 89% accuracy.

If the technologhy is there, let's have 100% accuracy.......you know.....like my threads.

It is perhaps inevitable with time and technology. Still, I will miss the days of an Earl Weaver yelling at umps and kicking dirt on their shoes. I mean what the fuck can you do to camera and a computer?

Umpire Marty Forster was TERRIBLE last night.

Here's his scorecard from last month when he missed nearly 30% of calls.

He's the poster boy for Robo-Umps.

1651753288520.png

Yesterday, Yanks lost to Tampa due to one missed call by Moscoso.

1653846123722.png

“No,” Cole said when asked if there was any doubt in his mind he had struck out Choi in the sixth. “I mean, I’ll look at it anyway but yeah that was a strike.”

With two outs, he thought he had Choi on a 89-mph slider, instead home plate umpire Edwin Moscoso called it a ball and Cole walked him. The right-hander was visibly upset on the mound, saying “You missed it. You missed that one,” to Moscoso.

After the game, Cole shrugged it off and said it did not affect him. But he then walked Wander Franco on four straight pitches to put two on.

“We knew that we had two right-handers come up so if the chips didn’t fall early with Franco we were gonna [attack] the right handers,” Cole explained.

Instead, Randy Arozarena’s short fly ball over shortstop Isiah Kiner-Falefa’s glove brought in Choi for the tying run."

Attachments

• 1653846110167.png
    1653846110167.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 14

“I think everybody is ready to have a ball be a ball and a strike be a strike”

1661341311077.png

New York Mets manager Buck Showalter spoke to the media this afternoon and had several interesting thoughts on the MLB’s strike zone issue. Showalter expressed his interest in implementing an automated strike zone as issues with calling balls and strikes continue to grow.

Buck Showalter said he is looking forward to the implementation of an automated strike zone in the majors.“I think everybody is ready to have a ball be a ball and a strike be a strike,” he said.
“Buck Showalter said he is looking forward to the implementation of an automated strike zone in the majors. ‘I think everybody is ready to have a ball be a ball and a strike be a strike,’ he said” – New York Mets manager Buck Showalter via Tim Healey
An automated strike zone is likely inevitable, and with continued support, the robot umpires may be here sooner rather than later."

Forum List

Back