It's over. I put a man in prison for the rest of his natural life.

Interesting thread. I don't understand the criticism of Paperview. I'm going to make a broad statement and hopefully support it. Humans don't generally like sitting in judgement of one another. I don't mean being critical of one another I mean judging, as is making a decision about another's fate (I remove from this anyone who has ever been a judge on any "Idol" franchise anywhere in the world).

Someone comes into your presence accused by the state of murder. You and eleven other people have to decide on this person's fate. You are introduced to the evidence and from that you have to infer the person's guilt or innocence from that evidence. What if you get it wrong? And by "wrong" I mean convicting an innocent person or freeing a guilty person. Tough job.

you know it is more expensive to sentence someone to death than it is to sentence them to life in prison right? :D

Unless you go the Stalin method. No appeals, no mercy, out to the back of the courthouse. But of course, you get the honor of digging your own grave first.

true! :lol:

Well I am out! I have some sort of stomach bug and woke up a little bit ago since I went to sleep at like 6pm. Time for be to go back to bed. Peace!

I became even more sure when the judge came into the deliberation room after we had rendered our verdict and said "you were not allowed to hear this during the trial, but this man has previously brutally assaulted people in this fashion, and even spent time in prison for it."

and this is why i feel very often that the duty is a joke....your not allowed to know if the perp has done this before......if he has done the same crime numerous times and has done prison time for this same crime he is on trial for, before.....there is a dam good chance he has done it again....

It's a procedural necessity though. In my jurisdiction there is a concept called "similar fact evidence" that might be introduced (extremely difficult though) in certain circumstances where previous behaviours and actions can be admitted into evidence. But the problem with routinely bring in priors is that a jury can be biased - even inadvertently - and see the evidence less than objectively. That would be unfair and fairness is an important part of a trial.

Oh my fucking god. You need to get out of the goddamn basement. I'm not kidding. Take the plunge. Return to humanity. Step into the horde. Do whatever the hell it takes to make you a real person again. If you eve rwere one.

and this is why i feel very often that the duty is a joke....your not allowed to know if the perp has done this before......if he has done the same crime numerous times and has done prison time for this same crime he is on trial for, before.....there is a dam good chance he has done it again....

It's a procedural necessity though. In my jurisdiction there is a concept called "similar fact evidence" that might be introduced (extremely difficult though) in certain circumstances where previous behaviours and actions can be admitted into evidence. But the problem with routinely bring in priors is that a jury can be biased - even inadvertently - and see the evidence less than objectively. That would be unfair and fairness is an important part of a trial.

Oh my fucking god. You need to get out of the goddamn basement. I'm not kidding. Take the plunge. Return to humanity. Step into the horde. Do whatever the hell it takes to make you a real person again. If you eve rwere one.

:lol: I haven't got a basement! Sorry if the truth is upsetting Allie - it's just the way it is ;)

Why are you patting yourself on the back for doing your duty? It is your responsiblity as a US citizen.... nothing to be proud of. Jeeeeeez. Fucking liberals - what did you expect - Peter the Magic Pixie comes along and makes all the bad people good? Welcome to Reality 101. Idiot.

I wonder if you would feel that way about Police Officers or Firefighters on 9/11 or any of the day who act in great service. Or should they not feel proud because they are "just doing their duty"? Stop being a spiteful bitch for once in your time here.

Yea, because jury duty is so incredibly dangerous. Paperview might get a papercut ....

My bad. You idiot.

I guess the extra security provided to jurors when we were there and the fact many of us (we discussed this only after) did not take our usual routes home, and watched our rear view mirrors carefully should one of those angry faces in the courtroom follow us,
was because we were concerned ...about 'papercuts.'

Of course the service can not be compared to the dangers Firemen and Police go through, no one ever said that, and no one said it was 'so incredibly dangerous,' but I think you fail to understand when there is a murder trial such as this, yes, jurors do expose themselves to some forms of risk.

I did my service happily and was grateful for the opportunity to take part in our judicial system.

Don't tell me it's 'nothing to be proud of.' Though it crippled my business, depleted my income, caused me to have to rent a car for several days because my brakes went on me during the trial and brought a great amount of upheaval to my life, it was a tiny price to pay to know I helped to serve our country and put a murderer behind bars for the rest of his life.

I feel happy, and yes proud about that. Nothing in your petty, spiteful rants will ever take that away.

Interesting thread. I don't understand the criticism of Paperview. I'm going to make a broad statement and hopefully support it. Humans don't generally like sitting in judgement of one another. I don't mean being critical of one another I mean judging, as is making a decision about another's fate (I remove from this anyone who has ever been a judge on any "Idol" franchise anywhere in the world).

Someone comes into your presence accused by the state of murder. You and eleven other people have to decide on this person's fate. You are introduced to the evidence and from that you have to infer the person's guilt or innocence from that evidence. What if you get it wrong? And by "wrong" I mean convicting an innocent person or freeing a guilty person. Tough job.
Thank you. Yes, it is a very serious and humbling undertaking.

Well said.

I wonder if you would feel that way about Police Officers or Firefighters on 9/11 or any of the day who act in great service. Or should they not feel proud because they are "just doing their duty"? Stop being a spiteful bitch for once in your time here.

Yea, because jury duty is so incredibly dangerous. Paperview might get a papercut ....

My bad. You idiot.

I guess the extra security provided to jurors when we were there and the fact many of us (we discussed this only after) did not take our usual routes home, and watched our rear view mirrors carefully should one of those angry faces in the courtroom follow us,
was because we were concerned ...about 'papercuts.'

Of course the service can not be compared to the dangers Firemen and Police go through, no one ever said that, and no one said it was 'so incredibly dangerous,' but I think you fail to understand when there is a murder trial such as this, yes, jurors do expose themselves to some forms of risk.

I did my service happily and was grateful for the opportunity to take part in our judicial system.

Don't tell me it's 'nothing to be proud of.' Though it crippled my business, depleted my income, caused me to have to rent a car for several days because my brakes went on me during the trial and brought a great amount of upheaval to my life, it was a tiny price to pay to know I helped to serve our country and put a murderer behind bars for the rest of his life.

I feel happy, and yes proud about that. Nothing in your petty, spiteful rants will ever take that away.

As I've already said, you claim that "I" sent this guy down. Well, if you had said you were on the jury that sent him down, my reaction would be different. I dislike glory seekers.

Lots of people have difficulties because of jury duty. You aren't special, you did your duty. Good for you - but - you were one of 12 who convicted a guilty person. You recognize the contribution of the other members of the jury - who were just as civic minded as you, right?

The other 11 might like to log in and put their views, but then again they might not. So one of the 12 chooses to express their views and it's pile-on time?

I've already said.... the use of "I", is different to the use of the word "we" (unless you are the Queen of England). The jury convicted, not Papercut.

The other 11 might like to log in and put their views, but then again they might not. So one of the 12 chooses to express their views and it's pile-on time?

I've already said.... the use of "I", is different to the use of the word "we" (unless you are the Queen of England). The jury convicted, not Papercut.

12 "I"'s voted to convict. Each person decided to convict. I suspect that if one had disagreed there would have been an aborted trial and retrial ordered. Each juror made a decision, that decision, when counted up became a collective decision which was relayed to the court but each juror had the power to disagree and therefore to tell the court to order a retrial or advise the prosecution they could withdraw. Each of those 12 jurors has the right to say, "I voted to convict". Each of them found the defendant guilty on their own judgement. It is an individual decision. The collective response is recognised but the thought function is individual.

I do and have recognized the service of the other jurors. They are not here though.

My lone dissent could have hung the jury and caused a different result. Imagine that.

However, my politically oriented introduction and purpose
initially was more along the lines of "Bleeding heart my ass!" Us liberals often get tagged with that label, and why I specifically began that way.
Not to bring glory to myself. (It's so fucking ironic YOU of all people here, Miss Cali-Look at Me, I'm Such A Hot Shit, should be wailing about this! lol)

It's more than the title of this thread you are hung up on though...you've already said it's "nothing to be proud of" to serve on a jury,

I am glad you are here Bitter Cali. It is satisfying to watch you expose your real stripes for all to see.

I do and have recognized the service of the other jurors. They are not here though.

My lone dissent could have hung the jury and caused a different result. Imagine that.

However, my politically oriented introduction and purpose
initially was more along the lines of "Bleeding heart my ass!" Us liberals often get tagged with that label, and why I specifically began that way.
Not to bring glory to myself. (It's so fucking ironic YOU of all people here, Miss Cali-Look at Me, I'm Such A Hot Shit, should be wailing about this! lol)

It's more than the title of this thread you are hung up on though...you've already said it's "nothing to be proud of" to serve on a jury,

I am glad you are here Bitter Cali. It is satisfying to watch you expose your real stripes for all to see.

Hells teeth, you are one fucking idiot Paperview. I've already joked about attention seekers and cracked the joke 'except me'. You take yourself and me waaaaay too seriously. Typical fucking humorless loser liberal. Got get a latte and smoke some weed.

Forum List

Back