It's bullshit you don't have the right to waive your rights

I think it's ridiculous that a person can't work through breaks or lunch if he wants.

I worked in a shop as a teenager that was run like a prison

The buzzer rang and everyone had to stop working for 15 minutes
The buzzer rang and everyone had to stop for lunch

It was like working with a fucking flock of mindless sheep

I asked if I could work through my lunch break so I could punch out at 3 instead of 330 and was told I couldn't

Who the fuck cares if a person wants to skip lunch?

Work laws? Don't tell me you never read those posters by federal law that is supposed to be posted and visible by every employee?

I think that's the point of the thread - whether those laws make sense or not.

I'm sure when you get your section 8, you will be happy that there are minimum wage laws.
I don't have a problem with requiring employers to offer it. My problem is in the requirement that I demand it.

Oh, so you're like a REMF, then?
I work at a base in California. I prefer not to discuss work more than that.

Anyway, I was pretty bad for not taking leave when I was in. I actually cashed some excess leave time out to pay for some home repairs. Back then, we didn't apply for leave on computers, we had to fill out a DA Form 31 and submit it to our commanding officers.
Apparently there are pretty strict rules about selling it. I've been trying to give it to people, sell it back, take it only on days off. It's all no go.

I'm kind of scared I can remember DA Form numbers 25 years later.
But do you remember stress cards? :p

No one ever said on their deathbed, "I wish I had spent more time at the office!"
To be totally honest I tell myself that I plan to prove this exact quote wrong every day I go in. It's not even just me. It's very much a familial trait in general. I can think of a few female family members who actually gave birth while in the middle of work.

I think it's ridiculous that a person can't work through breaks or lunch if he wants.

I asked if I could work through my lunch break so I could punch out at 3 instead of 330 and was told I couldn't

Work laws? Don't tell me you never read those posters by federal law that is supposed to be posted and visible by every employee?

yea I know, it makes sense to a say 35 year old operator, or someone else being treated like shit...

But it don't make no sense to a 23 year old trying to get ahead in life, or even a 50 year old industrial maintenance guy like me, my type don't follow those federal rules. We get the machines running, blow through breaks ....and then our boss don't give a Damn what we do.

Yeah no one reads those

Yeah no one reads those
yea I know, I am just a reader at heart..

Yeah no one reads those

Shit I have to post those stupid things in my business. I have the hallway to the employee bathroom lined with them and I still haven't read any of them and I know none of my employees have

They never allow for the possibility that a worker might want to work off the clock for some reason, be it that they simply enjoy working or it helps them keep up with a large work load.
While that's true, it also prevents employers from "encouraging" employees to do so while claiming that it's "voluntary".
When it's either do it or risk losing one's job to someone who will, it sounds more like "mandatory" to me.

WalMart got in a bit of trouble a ways back for doing just that:
Suits Say Wal-Mart Forces Workers to Toil Off the Clock - NYTimes.com
Court Affirms 151M Ruling Against Walmart For Making Employees Work Off The Clock Consumerist

They never allow for the possibility that a worker might want to work off the clock for some reason, be it that they simply enjoy working or it helps them keep up with a large work load.
While that's true, it also prevents employers from "encouraging" employees to do so while claiming that it's "voluntary".
When it's either do it or risk losing one's job to someone who will, it sounds more like "mandatory" to me.

Court Affirms 151M Ruling Against Walmart For Making Employees Work Off The Clock Consumerist

I've seen similar abuse.

A buddy of mine worked for a crappy company that piled so much work on their managers that many of them started working off the clock to get it all done.

One woman got fired for bringing her husband and an older child in to help (after hours).

So, fun choice.

This is your work load. It is to much for you to do. But you have to get it done or you are failing to meet standards.

If you work off the clock or bring in family members to help for free, which is the only way to do it, and get caught we fire you.

Lefties often like to pretend that the Rich are some type of unified force of Evul out to make the world a better place.

This leads to resistance from conservatives who know this is not true.

BUT we conservatives have to remember that there are individual Rich or Companies that are run by complete bastards and who do need rules to prevent them from being complete bastards in every way they can.

Yeah no one reads those

Shit I have to post those stupid things in my business. I have the hallway to the employee bathroom lined with them and I still haven't read any of them and I know none of my employees have

I hate to be cynical of you, but it seems you hire a bunch of stupid people, or a bunch of people that don't care about the laws and just want to get shit done?

I would probably fit in perfect at your company.

yea I know, it makes sense to a say 35 year old operator, or someone else being treated like shit...

But it don't make no sense to a 23 year old trying to get ahead in life, or even a 50 year old industrial maintenance guy like me, my type don't follow those federal rules. We get the machines running, blow through breaks ....and then our boss don't give a Damn what we do.

A 35 year old, unless they are mentally incompetent, is able to decide for themselves whether they are being treated like shit.

I've seen similar abuse.

A buddy of mine worked for a crappy company that piled so much work on their managers that many of them started working off the clock to get it all done.

One woman got fired for bringing her husband and an older child in to help (after hours).

So, fun choice.

This is your work load. It is to much for you to do. But you have to get it done or you are failing to meet standards.

If you work off the clock or bring in family members to help for free, which is the only way to do it, and get caught we fire you.

Lefties often like to pretend that the Rich are some type of unified force of Evul out to make the world a better place.

BUT we conservatives have to remember that there are individual Rich or Companies that are run by complete bastards and who do need rules to prevent them from being complete bastards in every way they can.

No we don't. No one is forcing you to work for those companies.

It is voluntary.

And that's really the key element in all the labor law nonsense. People have been indoctrinated with a slave mentality. Sad to see.

I've seen similar abuse.

So, fun choice.

Without those rules, then there would be few (if any) companies that wouldn't require working "off-the-clock" as a condition to retaining one's job.

I've seen similar abuse.

So, fun choice.

Without those rules, then there would be few (if any) companies that wouldn't require working "off-the-clock" as a condition to retaining one's job.

Nonsense. People aren't the ignorant sheep you presume.

I've seen similar abuse.

So, fun choice.

Just because the woman in question, for some reason, was willing to be a doormat, doesn't mean that we have to celebrate and/or protect that company being an asshole.

It's just bullshit liberals take it upon themselves to decide the lowest wage you're allowed to ask for or whether you're allowed to volunteer your time at work without requiring compensation. It's bullshit liberals literally won't allow you to live without buying insurance from them. It's bullshit they think they know what's best for you and enforce it through the law. That's all I'm saying here. Do you realize they've even been talking about making vacation mandatory? It already is in the military. You get yourself and your entire chain of command shit on for breaking use or lose. A right isn't a right if you're not allowed to exercise it. It's just an obligation with a prettier name.

Dude, you need to put down the Libertarian Kool-Aid or whatever Koch-brothers shit you've been reading.

There is a reason why there's a minimum wage law. It's to keep THE RICH from doing what they did during the Great Depression- firing everyone so they could hire people who would work cheaper. Minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation, but the notion behind it is sound, to keep a recession from being a race to the bottom.

Same thing with mandetory insurance. Its' to protect the rest of us from your irresponsibility. Because if you crack up your car, the rest of us end up paying for your property and medical costs.

As for vacation- reality is, if people don't take vacations, they tend to get less productive. They get stressed out, they make mistakes. That's why the Military enforces leave.

An elitist response if ever there was one.

It is amazing we get all these one size fits all kinds of responses from people who know best.

Al Gore would be proud.

I've seen similar abuse.

So, fun choice.

Just because the woman in question, for some reason, was willing to be a doormat, doesn't mean that we have to celebrate and/or protect that company being an asshole.

It's her call.....or are you her god ?

I've seen similar abuse.

So, fun choice.

So.

Nonsense. People aren't the ignorant sheep you presume.
Keep in mind that it is an employers market right now since all the manufacturing jobs were shipped out from the country. So being or not being ignorant sheep could mean the matter of survival.

I've seen similar abuse.

So, fun choice.

It's her call.....or are you her god ?

I'm her fellow citizen, and I see no social good for America in allowing incompetent business leaders try to hide their incompetence by overworking their employees.

SO, a law designed to protect her and not her moronic bosses works for me.

Forum List

Back