It's bullshit you don't have the right to waive your rights

I think it's ridiculous that a person can't work through breaks or lunch if he wants.

I worked in a shop as a teenager that was run like a prison

The buzzer rang and everyone had to stop working for 15 minutes
The buzzer rang and everyone had to stop for lunch

It was like working with a fucking flock of mindless sheep

I asked if I could work through my lunch break so I could punch out at 3 instead of 330 and was told I couldn't

Who the fuck cares if a person wants to skip lunch?

Work laws? Don't tell me you never read those posters by federal law that is supposed to be posted and visible by every employee?

I think that's the point of the thread - whether those laws make sense or not.
yea I know, it makes sense to a say 35 year old operator, or someone else being treated like shit...

But it don't make no sense to a 23 year old trying to get ahead in life, or even a 50 year old industrial maintenance guy like me, my type don't follow those federal rules. We get the machines running, blow through breaks ....and then our boss don't give a Damn what we do.

A 35 year old, unless they are mentally incompetent, is able to decide for themselves whether they are being treated like shit.
I have 60 year olds , that were making great money in the textile industry now just making $13 bucks an hour in the plastic industry down here.

Thanks to Bill Clinton and the republicans signing Nafta.

I know the American textiles industry was subsidied , but God Damn it they destroyed pension's and people in the south

They never allow for the possibility that a worker might want to work off the clock for some reason, be it that they simply enjoy working or it helps them keep up with a large work load.
While that's true, it also prevents employers from "encouraging" employees to do so while claiming that it's "voluntary".
When it's either do it or risk losing one's job to someone who will, it sounds more like "mandatory" to me.

WalMart got in a bit of trouble a ways back for doing just that:
Suits Say Wal-Mart Forces Workers to Toil Off the Clock - NYTimes.com
Court Affirms 151M Ruling Against Walmart For Making Employees Work Off The Clock Consumerist

I've seen similar abuse.

A buddy of mine worked for a crappy company that piled so much work on their managers that many of them started working off the clock to get it all done.

One woman got fired for bringing her husband and an older child in to help (after hours).

So, fun choice.

This is your work load. It is to much for you to do. But you have to get it done or you are failing to meet standards.

If you work off the clock or bring in family members to help for free, which is the only way to do it, and get caught we fire you.

Lefties often like to pretend that the Rich are some type of unified force of Evul out to make the world a better place.

This leads to resistance from conservatives who know this is not true.

BUT we conservatives have to remember that there are individual Rich or Companies that are run by complete bastards and who do need rules to prevent them from being complete bastards in every way they can.

No we don't. No one is forcing you to work for those companies.
Without those rules, then there would be few (if any) companies that wouldn't require working "off-the-clock" as a condition to retaining one's job.

Nonsense. People aren't the ignorant sheep you presume.
It doesn't matter if people are "ignorant sheep" or not.
Without the laws, and the associated penalties, nearly everyone would be forced to work "off-the-clock" because it's an easy way for a company to reduce labor costs.

Of course, if that were the case, then the individual would still have the "voluntary" choice between either working under those conditions or not working at all.

forcing ten year olds to work in a textile mill is bad..

not necessarily!!!! liberals have actually gotten lots of kids killed by making it illegal to work when there was no better alternative for them to survive.
What a load of shit....Kids are suppose to be doing school as a job..During the summer I did lawn mowing as my kids have done..No one stopped them, nor did they die from lack of work....You people can't have it both ways.....and by the whey, much of the bullshit you people are whining about was caused by insurance underwriters because of liability issues....

I think it's ridiculous that a person can't work through breaks or lunch if he wants.

I asked if I could work through my lunch break so I could punch out at 3 instead of 330 and was told I couldn't

Work laws? Don't tell me you never read those posters by federal law that is supposed to be posted and visible by every employee?

yea I know, it makes sense to a say 35 year old operator, or someone else being treated like shit...

But it don't make no sense to a 23 year old trying to get ahead in life, or even a 50 year old industrial maintenance guy like me, my type don't follow those federal rules. We get the machines running, blow through breaks ....and then our boss don't give a Damn what we do.

A 35 year old, unless they are mentally incompetent, is able to decide for themselves whether they are being treated like shit.
I have 60 year olds , that were making great money in the textile industry now just making $13 bucks an hour in the plastic industry down here.

I know the American textiles industry was subsidied , but God Damn it they destroyed pension's and people in the south
I start Thursday making 21 bucks an hour as a commercial mason...it should be higher, but I'll take it...

I start Thursday making 21 bucks an hour as a commercial mason...it should be higher, but I'll take it...
Uh.. you are gonna fucking kill yourself… at your age. I will miss you!

not necessarily!!!! liberals have actually gotten lots of kids killed by making it illegal to work when there was no better alternative for them to survive.
What a load of shit....Kids are suppose to be doing school as a job..During the summer I did lawn mowing as my kids have done..No one stopped them, nor did they die from lack of work....You people can't have it both ways.....and by the whey, much of the bullshit you people are whining about was caused by insurance underwriters because of liability issues....

18, 19 year olds are not children.

Many of them are not going to be getting much from HIgh School.

Those that are not, are just being forced into idleness while they are waiting out their enforced, extended "childhood".

Lowering work ages, and/or making it easier to get emancipated could be a strong blow to juvenile crime, drug use, and illegitimacy.

This is the single most coherent post I've ever seen you make here. I'm genuinely kind of surprised. What liability issues caused insurance writers to make workers incapable of working for less than minimum wage?

Those that are not, are just being forced into idleness while they are waiting out their enforced, extended "childhood".

Lowering work ages, and/or making it easier to get emancipated could be a strong blow to juvenile crime, drug use, and illegitimacy.
There are many jobs for kids, why lie about it? But insurance companies will drop your insurance coverage if they find out about you letting them operate a machine with a motor..Unless it's a family business..Why don't you people help your children establish a business, show them how it's done.....I have more than once...

This is the single most coherent post I've ever seen you make here. I'm genuinely kind of surprised. What liability issues caused insurance writers to make workers incapable of working for less than minimum wage?
Lawsuits...from people that game the system..So peer pressure cause the many to be punished for the few that cause problems...

Yeah no one reads those
yea I know, I am just a reader at heart..

Shit I have to post those stupid things in my business. I have the hallway to the employee bathroom lined with them and I still haven't read any of them and I know none of my employees have

I hate to be cynical of you, but it seems you hire a bunch of stupid people, or a bunch of people that don't care about the laws and just want to get shit done?

I would probably fit in perfect at your company.

None of my employees are stupid.

My single biggest problem with labor protection laws comes down to this. They never take the worker's personal judgment into consideration. They never allow for the possibility that a worker might want to work off the clock for some reason, be it that they simply enjoy working or it helps them keep up with a large work load. They don't accept that maybe some people might prefer to work for less than the legal minimum wage for some reason. Maybe they want to be competitive in a secondary job. Maybe they feel uncomfortable making as much as more valuable employees. The law doesn't know their situation. Then there's the fact that working as a minor is so heavily regulated. I mean, yeah, forcing ten year olds to work in a textile mill is bad. Nobody but the most rabid capitalist denies that. But, you know, some of us actually wanted a job at 13.
You're as ignorant as you are ridiculous.

The Child Labor laws in my state are fairly relaxed. Anyone 14 or older can work, albeit in limited capacities and occupations until the age of 16.
At 16, the restrictions are much less.
Some of the restrictions make sense, and others do not.

The Child Labor laws in my state are fairly relaxed. Anyone 14 or older can work, albeit in limited capacities and occupations until the age of 16.

Good for you and your state.

I was working in restaurants when I was 14, albeit it was 1975..You still had to lie about your age to get a job at a restaurant..

My single biggest problem with labor protection laws comes down to this. They never take the worker's personal judgment into consideration. They never allow for the possibility that a worker might want to work off the clock for some reason, be it that they simply enjoy working or it helps them keep up with a large work load. They don't accept that maybe some people might prefer to work for less than the legal minimum wage for some reason. Maybe they want to be competitive in a secondary job. Maybe they feel uncomfortable making as much as more valuable employees. The law doesn't know their situation. Then there's the fact that working as a minor is so heavily regulated. I mean, yeah, forcing ten year olds to work in a textile mill is bad. Nobody but the most rabid capitalist denies that. But, you know, some of us actually wanted a job at 13.
Mind telling us what your exact problem is?

Working off the clock, is a big no no for insurance reason's
I'm aware. It was the first thing I ever got reprimanded for at work. I came in an hour early, got bored waiting to go on shift, and started working about twenty minutes before shift. My first boss ever told me I was "violating slave labor laws" despite doing it completely voluntarily. I'm just saying it's bullshit that you can't choose to just waive all that. And maybe you don't even have insurance anyway, because you think your bills are your own responsibility to pay.

Since you are probably the only laborer to hold such views, I suggest you quit you job and apply somewhere else as an unpaid intern. That way you can have no cake and not eat.

Working off the clock, is a big no no for insurance reason's
I'm aware. It was the first thing I ever got reprimanded for at work. I came in an hour early, got bored waiting to go on shift, and started working about twenty minutes before shift. My first boss ever told me I was "violating slave labor laws" despite doing it completely voluntarily. I'm just saying it's bullshit that you can't choose to just waive all that. And maybe you don't even have insurance anyway, because you think your bills are your own responsibility to pay.

Since you are probably the only laborer to hold such views, I suggest you quit you job and apply somewhere else as an unpaid intern. That way you can have no cake and not eat.
You realize there are several other people posting in this very thread who hold similar views, right? I mean, you're right in that I'm probably the only one voluntarily forgoing insurance and such but still.

lmao so moonglow you are a temp worker and think $21 bucks an hour for a few weeks is the bomb ?

Hell I make more then that with benefits and O.T.

But I still didn't buy health care through my company :)

It amazes me that people are still this stupid. Why the hell anyone would want to go above and beyond the expectations of a job when they're not getting anything out of it (OT pay, etc...) is beyond me.

What they so often fail to realize is that they may or may not be helping themself, but in most cases they are creating an artificial inflation of the expectation for themselves AND FOR THEIR FELLOW EMPLOYEES. An expectation that is BEYOND the scope of the job that we've been hired to do.

I'll give you an example..... About 9 years ago I was hired as a Designer at a utility company. Along with that job came a requirement to do a week of "On-Call" time roughly every six weeks. During call-ins, the expectation was to set up the work safety for the field workers, then hang out until they were done, and undo the safety measures. In between you were free to read, watch tv, etc.... One of my fellow designers decided that he would spend that time working on regular work in his office. This meant he was getting more work done while not charging time to it (on-call time was charged separately). All of the sudden I get called into my boss' office to ask why I'm NOT doing that. I reminded my boss that the "down time" was technically my own to do with as I pleased and that in fact, my co-worker was costing the company money by charging time worked on Capital projects to an Expense account (on-call) for which the customer would not be billed. When my co-worker was told to knock it off, he got pissed at ME.

still see you are running away from me on you saying the pc police is a myth, troll

Forum List

Back