It Was Done on Tobacco. It Can Be Done on Guns.

Say Shitting Bull, the typical American Indian is known to be weak minded, alcohol fueled rube who was easily manipulated and abused by the much smarter Europeans .......................

Already makes you folks look bad stereotypically speaking of course, if had been me I would have kept that part quite so as not to give others fuel to criticize you over. You act as if you are on some noble quest to rid the earth of guns ............ doesn't that kind of sound over whelming and daunting for some one who's primary concern in life has been whether the next drink would be rot gut wine, rot gut liquor of rot gut tequila .....................

I mean, civilization has eluded your race for centuries now, don't you think maybe it is time to grow up and face the reality of this changing world?? Besides, don't you care any thing at all about your heritage or are ou ashamed of where your people came from?? Seems like once the firearm was introduced to the American Indian they embraced them and used them extensively against the modern day soldier .............. so easy to forget where one comes from when they have no idea of where they are headed or why ...................

Say Shitting Bull, the typical American Indian is known to be weak minded, alcohol fueled rube who was easily manipulated and abused by the much smarter Europeans .......................

Already makes you folks look bad stereotypically speaking of course, if had been me I would have kept that part quite so as not to give others fuel to criticize you over. You act as if you are on some noble quest to rid the earth of guns ............ doesn't that kind of sound over whelming and daunting for some one who's primary concern in life has been whether the next drink would be rot gut wine, rot gut liquor of rot gut tequila .....................

I mean, civilization has eluded your race for centuries now, don't you think maybe it is time to grow up and face the reality of this changing world?? Besides, don't you care any thing at all about your heritage or are ou ashamed of where your people came from?? Seems like once the firearm was introduced to the American Indian they embraced them and used them extensively against the modern day soldier .............. so easy to forget where one comes from when they have no idea of where they are headed or why ...................

Lakhota is an internet native american, nothing else.

Piece of shit wanna-be, stirring trouble up, had to get an old thread from 2012, hell we can embarrass you and make you look totally stupid in a current thread!!

Piece of shit wanna-be, stirring trouble up, had to get an old thread from 2012, hell we can embarrass you and make you look totally stupid in a current thread!!

LOLWUT? :rofl:

Tell you what. Go ahead and work on getting rid of guns while we work on getting rid of abortion.

I missed that part in the 2nd Amendment where it says that Individuals have the Right To Bear Cigarettes.

Where is that?
=======================
idiocy in the first degree !

"the right of the people..."

people are "individuals"..., maybe you need to read the entire constitution and B.O.R. several times, providing you can read simple language. :lmao:

It's pretty clear you do not Grok the Constitution.

I doubt you've ever read it.

Then get the constitution amended and STFU.

Good luck.

We don't need to amend the constitution. Just get sane SCOTUS members.

Since the GOP will never elect another president, it's only a matter of time before someone notices, 'Oh, yeah, WELL-REGULATED MILITIA"

In the meantime, lots of stuff we can do.

Require biometric triggers so only the owner can fire it on new guns. It'll run the cost of a gun up to a point where they'd be unaffordable, but that's fine.

Repeal the law that exempts gun sellers/manufacturers from liability for the death and injury caused by their products.

Require all gun owners to carry insurance.
Where's that red X when you really need it?

Hardcore NRA wingnuts need to be thinking about two words: "Compromise" and "Consensus"...

When it comes to the Constitution there is no such thing as "Compromise" and "Consensus".

Sure there is. Even the original Constitution was built on compromise and consensus.

There are recognized limits on free speech--the first amendment isn't seen as absolute.
Of course, there are limits to free speech and gun rights. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater because a great many people could be injured in the ensuing rush for the exits.
That makes perfect sense to me.

My gun rights are limited in the same way. I cannot fire off 30 rounds into the ceiling with my AK in a crowded theater either because a great many people could be injured in the ensuing rush for the exits.

BUT, we don't remove 1st Amendment rights from people who don't yell fire and we shouldn't even consider removing 2nd Amendment rights because someone has the potential to squeeze off 30 rounds at the local Cineplex.

He's Elizabeth Warren's stupid little brother.

Hardcore NRA wingnuts need to be thinking about two words: "Compromise" and "Consensus"...

You've overlooked something very important in your anti-Constitutional rant:

My guns aren't going anywhere. 80 million people just might agree with me too.

I don't know how many times we have to say it. I don't know how you make 'stupid' not stupid anymore. The right to bear arms is guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. When Bill Clinton (who I actually liked since he knew how to work with the Republican Congress and implemented many of their ideas) made high capacity magazines illegal, metal shops all over the Midwest went into high gear. There for awhile, the prices of those magazines sky rocketed. Then they went down. At the end, they were cheaper than before the ban. If you had an M-16, you could get 20-round, 30-round, 40-round and larger magazines made by individuals. Heck, I even knew a federal marshal who made some.

Understand this and remember it. I do not 'compromise' on my constitutional rights. You can outlaw anything you like and I guarantee you that the majority of the people I know will ignore it. I am an American and I don't stand in lines. I won't be a robot for you to lead around by the nose. Just like we ignored the high capacity magazine law and the way that people still ignore the moonshine prohibition. You want to avoid these incredibly high taxes? Barter and trade. There is so much of an under ground economy now that it is ridiculous.

As a rancher, it is 25 minutes to the nearest town. When you people get tired of your pit bulls and drive them out to the country and drop them off, they roam the countryside in packs. They can bring down cattle and sheep and if they take a mind to, will attack people. I've used my Colt M-4 with scope to take out a number of these dogs. Some of them as big as a feral hog and just as dangerous. Never mind the drug users, perverts and criminals cruising the back roads looking for an easy mark. If you outlaw those weapons, I guarantee you that the ones I have will never be found.

Blaming a tool for a behavior problem is absolutely ludicrous. No one ever heard of a mass school shooting until recently. Couldn't be some of these 'progressive' ideas coming back to bite us, could it? No fathers in the home, no way to deal with potentially dangerous mentally ill individuals. No, of course not. Unintended consequences. This is a problem that YOU and the people who think like you caused. I'm sending a check to the NRA right now.

When it comes to the Constitution there is no such thing as "Compromise" and "Consensus".

Sure there is. Even the original Constitution was built on compromise and consensus.

There are recognized limits on free speech--the first amendment isn't seen as absolute.

False!

The inalienable rights of humanity, enumerated in the Bill of Rights, though not exhaustively so, are absolute. Your assertion merely demonstrates your ignorance regarding the essence of the parameters of inalienable rights under natural, constitutional and case law.

The parameters are the absolute, inalienable rights of others.

In other words, there is no such thing as an absolute right to violate the life, the liberty or the property of others.

Hence, the metaphor shouting fire in a crowded theater.

Basically you made my point for me. Thanks.

Require biometric triggers so only the owner can fire it on new guns. It'll run the cost of a gun up to a point where they'd be unaffordable, but that's fine.

Wasn't planning to buy anything new...there are plenty out there for me to choose from. (Offhand, my handguns of choice-S&W Model 29 and M1911A1-have been in continuous production for sixty years and 103 years, respectively!) I doubt it would be any harder to bypass than the PASSkey system in my Caprice was.

Repeal the law that exempts gun sellers/manufacturers from liability for the death and injury caused by their products.

Won't make much difference...or else people would be suing Ford and Miller over drunk-driving wrecks!

Most (including me) already do.

By Dennis A. Henigan

The American people can overcome the gun lobby, but only if we confront, and expose, three myths that have long dominated the gun debate and given the politicians a ready excuse for inaction.

First, we must not let the opponents of reform get away with the empty bromide that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Does any rational person really believe that the Sandy Hook killer could have murdered twenty-seven people in minutes with a knife or a baseball bat? Guns enable people to kill, more effectively and efficiently than any other widely available weapon.

Second, we must challenge the idea that no law can prevent violent people from getting guns. This canard is refuted by the experience of every other western industrialized nation. Their violent crime rates are comparable to ours. But their homicide rates are exponentially lower because their strong gun laws make it harder for violent individuals to get guns.

Third, we must not accept the notion that our Constitution condemns us to the continued slaughter of our children. It is true that the Supreme Court has expanded gun rights in recent years; it is equally true that the Court has insisted that the right allows for reasonable restrictions. In his opinion in the Heller Second Amendment case, Justice Scalia listed restrictions on "dangerous and unusual weapons" among the kinds of gun laws that are still "presumptively lawful." Assault weapons that fire scores of rounds without reloading surely are "dangerous and unusual."

The tobacco control movement overcame some equally powerful mythology to fundamentally alter American attitudes toward tobacco products. The tobacco industry's effort to sow confusion and uncertainty about the link between smoking and disease eventually was exposed as a fraud. The entrenched view that smoking was simply a bad habit that individuals can choose to break was destroyed by evidence that the tobacco companies knew that nicotine was powerfully addictive and engineered their cigarettes to ensure that people got hooked and stayed hooked. The assumption that smoking harms only the smoker was contradicted by the overwhelming evidence of the danger of second-hand smoke.

Once these myths were exposed, attitudes changed, policies changed and we started saving countless lives. Since youth smoking peaked in the mid-1990s, smoking rates have fallen by about three-fourths among 8th graders, two-thirds among 10th graders and half among 12th graders. A sea change has occurred on the tobacco issue.

Similarly fundamental change can come to the gun issue as well. The myths about gun control, however, still have a hold on too many of our political leaders and their constituents. We will hear them repeated again and again in the coming weeks of intense debate. Every time we hear them, we must respond and we must persuade.

There is too much at stake to be silent.

More: Dennis A. Henigan: It Was Done on Tobacco. It Can Be Done on Guns
LMAO! tobacco wasn't controlled. tobacco is stronger than ever. why? because they are now free from the burden of class actions suits which were crippling them. with the taxes on cigarettes, government can not afford to ley tobacco fail. elimination of advertising and government regulations making it virtually impossible for foreign tobacco companies or new start up companies to get a foothold have eliminated competition from the big 3. they don't need to advertise. and they billions they used to spend are now increased profits. loss of sponsorships was a loss to the community, arts and events, but again a significant driver of increased profits to tobacco companies. smoking levels remain consistent while revenue to overhead ratios have increased dramatically. Tobacco stocks remain strong continuing to post 5% dividends year over year. tobacco companies remain poised to profit significantly when marijuana inevitably becomes legalized.

but still, today, the gun industry and the gun lobby is even more powerful than tobacco. gun grabbers are on the run. failing to exploit the deaths of school children has exposed their weakness. They shot their load and it was blanks

Wasn't planning to buy anything new...there are plenty out there for me to choose from. (Offhand, my handguns of choice-S&W Model 29 and M1911A1-have been in continuous production for sixty years and 103 years, respectively!) I doubt it would be any harder to bypass than the PASSkey system in my Caprice was.

Won't make much difference...or else people would be suing Ford and Miller over drunk-driving wrecks!

Most (including me) already do.

I'm certainly not marring my civil war era Sharps up with a biometric trigger

Forum List

Back