It was a good day to do some backyard shooting

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
It's 80 degrees with 80% humidity, but there's a little breeze and it's nice in the shade. I figured I'd sight in this 6" barreled Ruger GP100 .357 magnum I picked up earlier this summer. The ammo was handloaded Hornady 140 grain XTP on top of 14.7 grains of Alliant 2400, CCI No. 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primers, and with an overall length of 1.585". They were pushing at an average of 1145 fps measured on a chronograph, which is about 200 fps slower than a commercial load of that weight and style bullet.

The target was a 16" square piece of 1/2" AR500 armor plate, hanging at a range of 60 yards measured with a laser rangefinder. The strikes low on the target were some 30-06 I was shooting the other day, the ones high on the target were the .357. This is about the best accuracy I can get out of this load, without trying another bullet weight/powder configuration, or putting a scope on the pistol...

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

That's decent probably about as good as it gets for 60 yeards with a pistol, IMO.

Nice shootin'!

Thanks! Believe it or not, I have a single-action 7-1/2" barreled .44 magnum that shoots tighter than that with some loads.

Maybe I'll repaint the target and try that tomorrow. :04:

Thanks! Believe it or not, I have a single-action 7-1/2" barreled .44 magnum that shoots tighter than that with some loads.

Maybe I'll repaint the target and try that tomorrow. :04:
I shoot steel and paint the target in between magazines. Keep the paint right there. Only takes a minute to dry.

Like if 2 people are shootin'? I'll paint in between turns so you can see where things are hitting.

It's 80 degrees with 80% humidity, but there's a little breeze and it's nice in the shade. I figured I'd sight in this 6" barreled Ruger GP100 .357 magnum I picked up earlier this summer. The ammo was handloaded Hornady 140 grain XTP on top of 14.7 grains of Alliant 2400, CCI No. 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primers, and with an overall length of 1.585". They were pushing at an average of 1145 fps measured on a chronograph, which is about 200 fps slower than a commercial load of that weight and style bullet.

The target was a 16" square piece of 1/2" AR500 armor plate, hanging at a range of 60 yards measured with a laser rangefinder. The strikes low on the target were some 30-06 I was shooting the other day, the ones high on the target were the .357. This is about the best accuracy I can get out of this load, without trying another bullet weight/powder configuration, or putting a scope on the pistol...

View attachment 816751
View attachment 816752
View attachment 816753
View attachment 816754
View attachment 816755
View attachment 816756
Good place to post a Rubber Room. Shoot a target at a hung tire, maybe you would get a bounce back.

Good place to post a Rubber Room. Shoot a target at a hung tire, maybe you would get a bounce back.

Seeing how you seem to be ignorant on the subject, I'd be more than happy to enlighten you. Jacketed hollow-point bullets like the XTP don't "bounce". They flatten out as they expend their energy, which is why they're used by law-enforcement and for self-defense purposes. They would also penetrate rubber tires at a close range.

Full metal jacket bullets could ricochet off of a hard substance at a close range but seeing how the target was 60 yards, there's really no possibility of being struck by one. Now shooting a bowling ball point blank would probably cause the scenario you're thinking of, but only an idiot would do something that stupid.

I wish I could shoot in my back yard. The closest range is members only and all others are crowded and pricey.
Hunting season is here still can't get my hands on the rifle I want. I can't hunt like I use to but I still want to get out there. Hunting with hounds or curs is what I am use to. I would love to be on the hunt in this video.

I wish I could shoot in my back yard. The closest range is members only and all others are crowded and pricey.
Hunting season is here still can't get my hands on the rifle I want. I can't hunt like I use to but I still want to get out there. Hunting with hounds or curs is what I am use to. I would love to be on the hunt in this video.

Yeah, happiness is your own range.....My hunting/fishing/range property is only 8 miles away.

I got tired of kissing ass and everything else involved in trying to run leases so I said fuck it all, looked after myself for a change, and bought my own place.

I had two killer leases (trophy deer/black bear/turkey/grouse) and told the membership that I was giving them up.

I told them that they were welcome to take them over but I would no longer run/hunt them.....Nobody stepped-up so fuck-'em.

I called one owner six months prior to payment time and told them to find someone else to lease the property. The other lease was transferable so I sold it to another hunt club in the area.

Yeah, happiness is your own range.....My hunting/fishing/range property is only 8 miles away.

I got tired of kissing ass and everything else involved in trying to run leases so I said fuck it all, looked after myself for a change, and bought my own place.

I had two killer leases (trophy deer/black bear/turkey/grouse) and told the membership that I was giving them up.

I told them that they were welcome to take them over but I would no longer run/hunt them.....Nobody stepped-up so fuck-'em.

I called one owner six months prior to payment time and told them to find someone else to lease the property. The other lease was transferable so I sold it to another hunt club in the area.

I actually spent the whole day at the county public range yesterday. I don't have a good, straight 300 yard area on my property, so sometime I go there. It was a good day: No skeeters or gnats, and not many people there because it was a Monday.

I actually spent the whole day at the county public range yesterday. I don't have a good, straight 300 yard area on my property, so sometime I go there. It was a good day: No skeeters or gnats, and not many people there because it was a Monday.
I can get 250 yards on my place.....I could go back farther but I shoot inside of a pavilion that was already there when I bought the place.

Forum List

Back