Had it up to here with the tiled shower...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Our master bathroom walk in shower is done in white subway tiles on the walls, and those horrible little one inch tiles on the floor. Whoever thought putting 1 inch tiles on a floor of a shower is dumb as sh*t.
It is a fooking nightmare to clean with grout everywhere. What a stupid fad.
Anyway, I have never tore up a shower pan before and not looking forward to it. The back breaking work and the mountains of dust.
Replacing it with an acrylic all-in-one. Which is what we had in our last house someone put in. Awesome. They are a breeze to clean. Not the nightmare scrubbing and scrubbing of tiled showers.

Our master bathroom walk in shower is done in white subway tiles on the walls, and those horrible little one inch tiles on the floor. Whoever thought putting 1 inch tiles on a floor of a shower is dumb as sh*t.
Anyway, I have never tore up a shower pan before and not looking forward to it. The back breaking work and the mountains of dust.
Replacing it with an acrylic all-in-one. Which is what we had in our last house someone put in. Awesome. They are a breeze to clean. Not the nightmare scrubbing and scrubbing of tiled showers.
I use this after spraying with some kind of tile and grout cleaner and letting set a while. Works great!

Amazon product

I highly recommend cleaning with bleach powder. Get the shower floor moist, sprinkle 1/2 can on. Start brushing. Add water to make it like a slurry.
Let it sit on there for 8 hours. It will dry out after a few hours. Run the shower, use a brush, clean it up.
Don't use any other cleaner in conjunction with this. Be alert to fumes. Repeat as needed. the bleach will clean the grout and make it like new.

Also can use this on shower pans.

If you find an easier way to clean it, you may want keep your current configuration.

0810003440260_CF_Syndigo_default_large.png

Tiled shower floors are tilted towards the drain. Larger tiles cannot assume the curved shape of the floor.
They didn't do that right either, Water pools in several areas, feet away from the drain.
To my knowledge, and according to old photos of the interior on Zillow - they remodeled the bathroom only about 6 years ago. And the grout is cracked everywhere because they certainly didn't seal it. By the time we bought the house, it was too late.
I love the shower itself, nice and roomy etc. But the tile work is inferior and I don't want to spend an hour a week cleaning it, when an acrylic setup can be cleaned literally in 1 or 2 minutes.

I highly recommend cleaning with bleach powder. Get the shower floor moist, sprinkle 1/2 can on. Start brushing. Add water to make it like a slurry.
Let it sit on there for 8 hours. It will dry out after a few hours. Run the shower, use a brush, clean it up.
Don't use any other cleaner in conjunction with this. Be alert to fumes. Repeat as needed. the bleach will clean the grout and make it like new.

Also can use this on shower pans.

If you find an easier way to clean it, you may want keep your current configuration.

0810003440260_CF_Syndigo_default_large.png
uh...yeah... bleach on grout is a no one. Especially leaving it on overnight, bleach breaks down grout.

uh...yeah... bleach on grout is a no one. Especially leaving it on overnight, bleach breaks down grout.
been doing it for years. Not a problem
once you do it, if you maintain the grout, you won't have to do it for a long time.

been doing it for years. Not a problem
once you do it, if you maintain the grout, you won't have to do it for a long time.
Perhaps you missed where I said the grout has cracks all over it.
The bathroom itself looks professionally remodeled with the wainscoting work etc. - but the shower tiling was either a failed DYI, or done by someone posing as a professional. Grout should not breakdown and crack/crumble in 6 years.
It is too late. AND - I said the pan is uneven and pools water.
It is not salvageable.

They didn't do that right either, Water pools in several areas, feet away from the drain.
To my knowledge, and according to old photos of the interior on Zillow - they remodeled the bathroom only about 6 years ago. And the grout is cracked everywhere because they certainly didn't seal it. By the time we bought the house, it was too late.
I love the shower itself, nice and roomy etc. But the tile work is inferior and I don't want to spend an hour a week cleaning it, when an acrylic setup can be cleaned literally in 1 or 2 minutes.
If the grout is cracked that means it's probably leaking moisture into the subfloor. If it's not draining correctly I would not count on it having a proper rubber membrane under all that tile and concrete. I see rot repair in your future.

If the grout is cracked that means it's probably leaking moisture into the subfloor. If it's not draining correctly I would not count on it having a proper rubber membrane under all that tile and concrete. I see rot repair in your future.
So do I... another reason I am not looking forward to this.
I thought of that also, if they did such a bad tile job, they probably also did a bad job sealing it before they tiled it. If there is no membrane, then I am probably looking at replacing the sub floor as well.
Good news at least, the subfloor I can see in the basement under the shower shows no signs of rot.
So the rot is, at this point, on the surface only. I fully expect mold everywhere.

Perhaps you missed where I said the grout has cracks all over it.
The bathroom itself looks professionally remodeled with the wainscoting work etc. - but the shower tiling was either a failed DYI, or done by someone posing as a professional. Grout should not breakdown and crack/crumble in 6 years.
It is too late. AND - I said the pan is uneven and pools water.
It is not salvageable.
I did miss that. You posted it after my initial response. Consider a cultured marble shower pan..
I use them on all my properties.

I did miss that. You posted it after my initial response. Consider a cultured marble shower pan..
I use them on all my properties.

Thanks, that may be a good option. I haven't yet really gotten down to where the drain currently is in comparison to the acrylic hole, and how difficult it will be to put it where the preformed hole is. There may be a joist in the way etc.
If it requires major work to move the drain, then I may look into this.

Thanks, that may be a good option. I haven't yet really gotten down to where the drain currently is in comparison to the acrylic hole, and how difficult it will be to put it where the preformed hole is. There may be a joist in the way etc.
If it requires major work to move the drain, then I may look into this.
Cultured marble - look up a local shop. They make these in molds and they locate the drain where it needs to be, and then they cast the pan.
This pan costs more, but once you stand in this pan, you will realize it is superior. They are heavy. They are a lifetime product. I use the bleach on these as well.
If you need shower walls, they have cultured marble walls as well.

So do I... another reason I am not looking forward to this.
I thought of that also, if they did such a bad tile job, they probably also did a bad job sealing it before they tiled it. If there is no membrane, then I am probably looking at replacing the sub floor as well.
Good news at least, the subfloor I can see in the basement under the shower shows no signs of rot.
So the rot is, at this point, on the surface only. I fully expect mold everywhere.
If the subfloor is not water stained where the drain comes through you are probably OK. Most of these things I see there is no way inspect for rot under the shower. It shows up when the sheet rock on the down-stairs ceiling develops water stains. We don't really have basements here in Florida.

If the subfloor is not water stained where the drain comes through you are probably OK. Most of these things I see there is no way inspect for rot under the shower. It shows up when the sheet rock on the down-stairs ceiling develops water stains. We don't really have basements here in Florida.
Not having a basement in southern Indiana is a risk for sure.
I am 58 and went through 2 tornadoes in my lifetime.
The shower floor is 31 3/4" x 60 1/2" plus when I remove the first couple subway tile rows it will be a little larger than that. The acrylic pan is 30" x 60"... so good there, but then comes how much space/hassle it will be to move the drain. If I am lucky it will only require a new elbow and i can match up by rotation alone and not have to physically move it which will be difficult because we added a full bath in the basement directly under this one. Only inches of space between the drain/drywall ceiling.
I would consider hiring someone if I could find a legitimate pro and not some DWI loser.

Not having a basement in southern Indiana is a risk for sure.
I am 58 and went through 2 tornadoes in my lifetime.
The shower floor is 31 3/4" x 60 1/2" plus when I remove the first couple subway tile rows it will be a little larger than that. The acrylic pan is 30" x 60"... so good there, but then comes how much space/hassle it will be to move the drain. If I am lucky it will only require a new elbow and i can match up by rotation alone and not have to physically move it which will be difficult because we added a full bath in the basement directly under this one. Only inches of space between the drain/drywall ceiling.
I would consider hiring someone if I could find a legitimate pro and not some DWI loser.
Legitimate pros like me are tied up for months at a time. It's not hard to find someone good but you will have to wait.

Legitimate pros like me are tied up for months at a time. It's not hard to find someone good but you will have to wait.
There are two companies I would definitely trust but they are of course expensive.
The materials for this job, if all acrylic drop in will be about $900 including plumbing pieces.
So I would wager to pay one of those... it would be around $2500-$3000. Or... do it myself.
I am handy, I have successfully flipped 7 properties before 2008 hit. And I have roofed well over 20 homes without a single call back. So I am good with this kind of thing, but at 58... just honestly don't really relish this much work besides having a job.

There are two companies I would definitely trust but they are of course expensive.
The materials for this job, if all acrylic drop in will be about $900 including plumbing pieces.
So I would wager to pay one of those... it would be around $2500-$3000. Or... do it myself.
I am handy, I have successfully flipped 7 properties before 2008 hit. And I have roofed well over 20 homes without a single call back. So I am good with this kind of thing, but at 58... just honestly don't really relish this much work besides having a job.
I'm 59 and I do this stuff as a job. My own house needs all kinds of work.

I'm 59 and I do this stuff as a job. My own house needs all kinds of work.
I hear that.
There is nothing good about getting older.
Guys like us that "fix shit"... it is a part of our identity.
Last year, I had a small leak around an old oven vent that went through the roof. I took out the vent and just patched over it... problem solved. Buuut... when I was coming off the roof, that moment as you swing over your ladder where one foot is still on the roof and one foot is on the ladder - I lost my balance and barely caught myself before falling. It was close. I don't have the balance I did before, my reflexes are slower, my knees aren't great either. That was a bad day psychologically.
I miss those days in my 30s. I looked forward to projects.
Not anymore.

Forum List

Back