It turns out that bicycle helmets do reduce head injuries

True kids can be stupid. But during all those years of cycling I never new a single person who received more then a knot on their noggin. And I spent most of my time hanging out with cyclist.
If it were my kid? Yes he or she would wear a helmet. But I dont need the gov to tell me that.
For the same reason I dont need the gov to tell me to wear a seatbelt.

You're confusing personal experience with data.

And you are confusing sound bites with data.

To what "sound bites" are you referring, or is this just a nifty little phrase that sounded good in your head?

WOW...tyranny. You are truly a butt hurt type.

Tyranny, as in arbitrary use of power. When people with guns say you need to do something for no other reason than they think they are smarter than you are, that is tyranny.

One important distinction you failed to recognize.

We elected these "people with guns" and, with the power of the ballot, can ensure that they do not get reelected.

Therefore your analogy fails as does your claim of tyranny.

Tyranny is not defined by how the people got power, tyranny is defined by how that power is used.

arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.

You're confusing personal experience with data.

To what "sound bites" are you referring, or is this just a nifty little phrase that sounded good in your head?

The data indicates that bicycle helmets are ineffective at preventing head injuries because they are designed to mitigate low speed impacts directly to the crown of the head. I have pointed this out before, hence the title of this thread where I admit that they actually do reduce the incidence of injury by keeping kids off bikes. Most people end up pointing out that anything is better than nothing, which is a sound bite.

Cycle helmets don't reduce head injury risk as much as it's thought, claims new analysis | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

Bicycle Helmets Proven Not To Make You Any Safer

Do Bicycle Helmet Laws Do More Harm Than Good? : TreeHugger

The data here is on my side of the argument, if you want to actually debate the data you will lose. If you want to keep debating sound bites I will let you win because I prefer data.

The data indicates that bicycle helmets are ineffective at preventing head injuries because they are designed to mitigate low speed impacts directly to the crown of the head. I have pointed this out before, hence the title of this thread where I admit that they actually do reduce the incidence of injury by keeping kids off bikes. Most people end up pointing out that anything is better than nothing, which is a sound bite.

Cycle helmets don't reduce head injury risk as much as it's thought, claims new analysis | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

The data here is on my side of the argument, if you want to actually debate the data you will lose. If you want to keep debating sound bites I will let you win because I prefer data.

I wasn't debating your data. In fact I wasn't addressing anything you wrote. I was telling another member that personal experiences do not equal data.

Tyranny, as in arbitrary use of power. When people with guns say you need to do something for no other reason than they think they are smarter than you are, that is tyranny.

We elected these "people with guns" and, with the power of the ballot, can ensure that they do not get reelected.

Tyranny is not defined by how the people got power, tyranny is defined by how that power is used.

Don't worry, one day soon republicans will be back in charge and the same policies that were labeled "tyranny" will soon be met with mute acceptance.

When I started driving at 16, people would be insulted if you got in their car an put your seatbelt on......What's the matter? Don't trust my driving?

Several kids I knew were killed in car accidents when I was in HS. My kids did not have anyone in their class killed. Seat belts save lives and mandatory compliance played a huge part

meh...if your stupid enough to ride around without a seatbelt.
I do agree with the no texting while driving.

You want to drive on our roads? You follow our rules

Put your seatbelt on

Uh...pretty sure I just said I wear my seatbelt.

I wasn't debating your data. In fact I wasn't addressing anything you wrote. I was telling another member that personal experiences do not equal data.

Actually, personal experience is data, unlike sound bites.

Don't worry, one day soon republicans will be back in charge and the same policies that were labeled "tyranny" will soon be met with mute acceptance.

I could provide evidence of me saying that the PATRIOT Act was wrong all the way back into the Bush presidency. Unlike you, my gripe is not with a party, it is with the entire fracking government.

I could provide evidence of me saying that the PATRIOT Act was wrong all the way back into the Bush presidency. Unlike you, my gripe is not with a party, it is with the entire fracking government.

I agree. It took me years to finally see it,but yeah both sides are screwing us.
All you have to do is look at the ever increasing tax burden. The patriot act. Illegal immigration.
Doesnt really matter what the people want.

No personal experience is pretty much sound bites.

Data is collected as a reult of the scientific method.

There is a cost to society that the government mandate guy flat out ignores. Personally, I would rather pay the cost of individual liberty than the one of tyranny.

SO...speed limits is 'tyranny', having to slow down to a crawl in school zones is 'tyranny' and having to come to an actual HALT when school bus lights are flashing is real 'tyranny'...imagine that, someone telling you what you have to do...the injustice and oppression. How can you stand living in this totalitarian nation?

BTW butt hurt boy, what do you call it when the cost of your irresponsible behavior comes out of my pocket?

One that confounds good and evil is an enemy to good.
Edmund Burke

No personal experience is pretty much sound bites.

Data is collected as a reult of the scientific method.

Data is collected by whatever method data is collected. If you don't believe me I will be glad to link to all sorts of studies that include personal experience as data points, many of them drug trials. Where do you think they get those list of side effects?

SO...speed limits is 'tyranny', having to slow down to a crawl in school zones is 'tyranny' and having to come to an actual HALT when school bus lights are flashing is real 'tyranny'...imagine that, someone telling you what you have to do...the injustice and oppression. How can you stand living in this totalitarian nation?

BTW butt hurt boy, what do you call it when the cost of your irresponsible behavior comes out of my pocket?

Edmund Burke

Let me repeat, tyranny is arbitrary use of power. Iy you want to argue that speed limits are arbitrary, feel free, just don't try to pretend that is what I am saying.

Edmund Burke

Let me repeat, tyranny is arbitrary use of power. Iy you want to argue that speed limits are arbitrary, feel free, just don't try to pretend that is what I am saying.

What is 'arbitrary' about helmet laws and seat belt laws?

And you really need to answer my question: what do you call it when the cost of your irresponsible behavior comes out of my pocket?

Bicycle helmets have saved my life, or at least prevented significant head trauma, on two separate occasions.

I have no problems with bicycle helmet laws.

But the question must be asked, was your parents decision to have you 'arbitrary'?...then it would also make helmet laws the same...:eek:

Edmund Burke

What is 'arbitrary' about helmet laws and seat belt laws?

And you really need to answer my question: what do you call it when the cost of your irresponsible behavior comes out of my pocket?

Do you know what arbitrary means?

I have already pointed out that the reason you pay for irresponsible behavior is that you insist that hospitals treat people even if they cannot pay. That means that you are actually demanding that you pay for something, and you then complain that it costs you money. That makes this entire situation your problem, not mine, and indicates why it is arbitrary to use your insistence that you pay for people's irresponsible actions as a basis to demand that they not be irresponsible.

Last edited:
Bicycle helmets have saved my life, or at least prevented significant head trauma, on two separate occasions.

I have no problems with bicycle helmet laws.

I would be willing to bet that, if you actually recreated your those incidents, that you would end up coming to the conclusion that you are wrong about them making a significant difference.

Forum List

Back