It turns out that bicycle helmets do reduce head injuries

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
By keeping kids off of bicycles.

Cycling is popular among children, but results in thousands of injuries annually. In recent years, many states and localities have enacted bicycle helmet laws. We examine direct and indirect effects of these laws on injuries. Using hospital-level panel data and triple difference models, we find helmet laws are associated with reductions in bicycle-related head injuries among children. However, laws also are associated with decreases in non-head cycling injuries, as well as increases in head injuries from other wheeled sports. Thus, the observed reduction in bicycle-related head injuries may be due to reductions in bicycle riding induced by the laws.

Effects of Bicycle Helmet Laws on Children's Injuries

My guess is that the lack of exercise also contributes to all the obesity the government is worried about.

You conservatives just want people to die, and starve... and you hate blacks or any other minorities.

Sorry, I just can’t back down from my position that more Government is better because Obama (a democrat) is in office. Maybe in 2016 Reps or someone else will take over and I can once again hate anything and everything Government does. Sadly like Republicans are now but weren’t under Bush.

You conservatives just want people to die, and starve... and you hate blacks or any other minorities.

Sorry, I just can’t back down from my position that more Government is better because Obama (a democrat) is in office. Maybe in 2016 Reps or someone else will take over and I can once again hate anything and everything Government does. Sadly like Republicans are now but weren’t under Bush.

And close the thread. Nicely done sir.

Maryland wants to pass an ADULT bicycle helmet law which is preventing Capital Bikeshare from moving into Maryland.

Cycling is popular among children, but results in thousands of injuries annually. In recent years, many states and localities have enacted bicycle helmet laws. We examine direct and indirect effects of these laws on injuries. Using hospital-level panel data and triple difference models, we find helmet laws are associated with reductions in bicycle-related head injuries among children. However, laws also are associated with decreases in non-head cycling injuries, as well as increases in head injuries from other wheeled sports. Thus, the observed reduction in bicycle-related head injuries may be due to reductions in bicycle riding induced by the laws.

My guess is that the lack of exercise also contributes to all the obesity the government is worried about.

Hmmm ... rw's hate Obama so they don't want their kids' brains protected.

:cuckoo:

First, you are right, I just want people to die. The alternative of people dying would be a lot worse than anything you can imagine.

Second, I am not a Republican, and have just as much contempt for him as I do Obama.

Actually, I was thinking that intelligent people would look at the data and decide that, since bicycle helmets laws are making kids fat, it might make sense to think about changing them.

We do know that you are not intelligent though, so I can see why you missed the point.

Actually, I was thinking that intelligent people would look at the data and decide that, since bicycle helmets laws are making kids fat, it might make sense to think about changing them.

We do know that you are not intelligent though, so I can see why you missed the point.

Unless they're eating them, a la Chris Christy, bicycle helmets are not making kids fat.

Ingesting more calories than they expend - THAT is what makes kids (and adults) fat.

Unless they're eating them, a la Chris Christy, bicycle helmets are not making kids fat.

Ingesting more calories than they expend - THAT is what makes kids (and adults) fat.

Unless you are walking, trip, and manage to fall on your head, bicycle helmets do not prevent head injuries, what's your point?

There is no data or proof that bicycle helmet laws are making kids fat. That is your extreme and illogical conclusion. What is making kids fat is eating too much, mostly junk food , and not exercising. They don't exercise, not because of bicycle helmet laws, but because of television, computers, electronic games, and the fact their parents don't let them go out and ride around the neighborhoods on their bikes anymore like they used to do, because of fear of pedophiles. This is little if anything to do with bicycle helmets. If kids are brought up using bicycle helmets, they don't question them: it is all they know. They think it is odd not to have them. And they are not intrinsically stupid: most kids will understand the safety issue and want to protect themselves. Blaming childhood obesity on bicycle helmets is ludicrous.

Last edited:

First, you are right, I just want people to die. The alternative of people dying would be a lot worse than anything you can imagine.

Second, I am not a Republican, and have just as much contempt for him as I do Obama.

politifact%2Fphotos%2Ftom-pantsonfire-xport4_.gif

Unless you are walking, trip, and manage to fall on your head, bicycle helmets do not prevent head injuries, what's your point?

Unfortunately it is too late for a helmet to help for you. The damage is done, and irreversible.

It makes ZERO sense to be against kids wearing a helmet when riding their bike or skateboard. But sense is something you totally lack.

While wearing a helmet is a good idea. I dont believe the gov should have any say in the matter.
It's amazing that we survived childhood if you believe all the crap the gov wants to mandate.

I can understand where you're coming from. But there is always a cost to society that the 'individual rights' guy never thinks about.

People without health insurance is a prime example. Everyone's insurance premium is at least $1,000 per year more because of it.

The effect of liberty to individuals is that they may do what they please: we ought to see what it will please them to do, before we risk congratulations.
Edmund Burke

While wearing a helmet is a good idea. I dont believe the gov should have any say in the matter.
It's amazing that we survived childhood if you believe all the crap the gov wants to mandate.

There was a time when cars didn't have seatbelts. Then seatbelts were put in. Then, later, using them was required by law. They save lives. Bicycle helmets save children from brain injury. What is bad about that?????

There was a time when cars didn't have seatbelts. Then seatbelts were put in. Then, later, using them was required by law. They save lives. Bicycle helmets save children from brain injury. What is bad about that?????

Like I said. It's a good idea to wear one. But I dont believe it's the govs place to mandate such things.
I raced bicycles both on the street and dirt. And yes I wore a helmet while doing so.
Riding around the neighborhood? No. Thats akin to wearing a helmet to go for a stroll.

Like I said. It's a good idea to wear one. But I dont believe it's the govs place to mandate such things.
I raced bicycles both on the street and dirt. And yes I wore a helmet while doing so.
Riding around the neighborhood? No. Thats akin to wearing a helmet to go for a stroll.

Kids are stupid

Doesn't make a difference if they are riding around the block or on the interstate. They still don't pay attention

Forum List

Back