It takes about $1000 more per month to live now

My husband and I are on a fairly low fixed retirement income and we are able to have food on the table, pay our mortgage and bills, but we buy groceries as cheaply as we can now for like depression era meals
I'm still working out my retirement delusion FF

1701638624353.png

~S~

thx FF

i do spent a lotta time tending to them

probably more when i finally hang my toolbelt up

~S~
When I was a kid every family would butcher an enormous hog in the fall. Everybody had root cellars and the meat was salt cured and hung in the cellar. I was never allowed to go to the hog killing though. My husband finally persuaded his dad to let him watch. Once was enough. He never asked again. The killing was super quick and humane though. And the meat was sufficient to get a family through the winter.

When I was a kid every family would butcher an enormous hog in the fall. Everybody had root cellars and the meat was salt cured and hung in the cellar. I was never allowed to go to the hog killing though. My husband finally persuaded his dad to let him watch. Once was enough. He never asked again. The killing was super quick and humane though. And the meat was sufficient to get a family through the winter.
That's how life was back then, and to an extent still is out in the sticks ,albeit much of it is the current prepper mentality

Family farms were everywhere, folks grew their own crops, canned, raised their own livestock & processed just like you said

That lifestyle fell to modern convenience , and who can blame anyone for not subscribing to it.

Fam farming is a 24/7/365 gig , and yes there are some rather unsavory aspects that i would not blame anyone wanting to avoid

That said, i'm selling more piglets every year , i can almost feel the ghosts of all those old farmers in the sky smilin' down on my farm!

~S~

Wild pigs are a problem in the coast range of CA. A bar in a small town on the crest held a pig feed in the fall when all of the local hunters would cook up their kills for anyone who wanted to eat. A good time was always had by all and everyone went home with a full belly.

My husband finally persuaded his dad to let him watch.
When the kids were small they all wanted to watch , especially the boys.

I told them they couldn't....

So i off a chicken, and hang it on the fence , and the d%mn thing gets free....

And runs directly at the boys (5-6yr old) w/out an 'effin head that had snuck up right behind me

I couldn't help laughin'........~S~

And runs directly at the boys (5-6yr old) w/out an 'effin head that had snuck up right behind me

I can relate. I did watch the headless chicken running in the yard and while it didn't gross me out, I didn't like it. That would be on Sundays. The preacher preached looooong sermons and if there was communion that Sunday it took even longer. Dinner was the noon meal and the largest meal of the day and I would be famished. I would have to wait until one of my parents caught and beheaded the chicken, wait for it to finish running, be plucked and cleaned and cut up and fried. There is no smell in the world as good as chicken frying to a hungry child. I was certain I would die of starvation before we finally could eat.

I can relate. I did watch the headless chicken running in the yard and while it didn't gross me out, I didn't like it. That would be on Sundays. The preacher preached looooong sermons and if there was communion that Sunday it took even longer. Dinner was the noon meal and the largest meal of the day and I would be famished. I would have to wait until one of my parents caught and beheaded the chicken, wait for it to finish running, be plucked and cleaned and cut up and fried. There is no smell in the world as good as chicken frying to a hungry child. I was certain I would die of starvation before we finally could eat.
Fresh, never frozen, just can't be beat FF.......

~S~

LMAO, my dad brought about six chickens home in the trunk of the car when I was about the same age. He and a friend wrung their necks and we had six of them flopping around the back yard. I still remember it over 65 years later. LOL

Fresh, never frozen, just can't be beat FF.......

~S~
For sure. Even now when I have a small fraction of the taste buds I had as a kid, freshly caught fish, freshly killed chicken is still the best not to mention veggies pulled out of the garden, cleaned and cooked right away.

That's what so frustrating now. You get spoiled to eating good fresh food and when the grocery budget won't quite accommodate it all any more and you have to economize on what seems like inferior foods, it is annoying at best. But we don't go hungry and that alone I count as a real blessing.

Wild pigs are a problem in the coast range of CA. A bar in a small town on the crest held a pig feed in the fall when all of the local hunters would cook up their kills for anyone who wanted to eat. A good time was always had by all and everyone went home with a full belly.
Here in most of Florida the wild hogs have a diet of mostly acorns from the oak trees. Because of that diet the meat has a bitter very gamey taste to it. No very good.

Here in most of Florida the wild hogs have a diet of mostly acorns from the oak trees. Because of that diet the meat has a bitter very gamey taste to it. No very good.
Our cousins who cattle ranch in southeast Texas also say the meat of the feral hogs is pretty much inedible there too which is a shame. They are out of control there tearing up lawns, gardens, flower beds, and doing other damage. Hard to catch as they are mostly nocturnal and don't have any consistent schedule. The only remedy is trap or shoot them with shooting the most sure way to get them if you happen to see them. But it is a real shame that they can't be used for food.

Must be different in South Carolina. I have eaten and cooked wild hog.

Our cousins who cattle ranch in southeast Texas also say the meat of the feral hogs is pretty much inedible there too which is a shame. They are out of control there tearing up lawns, gardens, flower beds, and doing other damage. Hard to catch as they are mostly nocturnal and don't have any consistent schedule. The only remedy is trap or shoot them with shooting the most sure way to get them if you happen to see them. But it is a real shame that they can't be used for food.
I imagine that the feral pigs in CA have a similar diet as there are a lot of oaks in that range, but I haven't noted any problem with the flavor of the meat.

The typical American household has to spend an extra $11,434 a year to maintain the same quality of life they had in 2021, new data has revealed.
According to analysis from Republican members of the US Senate Joint Economic Committee, Colorado residents are being forced to fork out an extra $14,995 a year in order to afford the same quality of life as two years ago - the highest of any state.
The figures compare the prices of everyday essentials including food, housing, energy and transportation in October this year and January 2021 - before inflation began to soar.
View attachment 866057
Comment:
The greedy corrupt Democrats looted the Taxpayers and caused this inflation crisis.
They have wasted $trillions$ on Climate Change boondoggle kickback schemes.
They are spending $billions$ on their illegal alien voters.
They are spending $billions$ on paying off student loans aka vote buying.
The greedy corrupt Democrat Party treats the Taxpayers like their slaves who they can load an infinite amount of debt upon.
You pay, they play.
And that's living cheap. My monthly expenses are much higher.

The only adjustment I made to my budget is that I factor in more for weed. But I also sell more now, so it's a wash

Forum List

Back