It is Way Past Time to Lower Drinking Age to 18 Again

Boys dont stop growing till at least 21. No way they should be allowed to drink in public.

How does 'dont stop growing' lead to 'cant drink in public'?

That is a bizarre correlation if I have ever seen one.

you have something against BIZARRE CORRELATIONS? Long,
long ago------when I was a kid (yeah---that long ago) I ran into girls
of the BAPTIST persuasion seem to have been taught that wearing slacks
(yeah ----way back then ----when they were not PANTS) renders one----
a "street walker" (what did you expect me to say "LADY OF THE NIGHT"?

Boys dont stop growing till at least 21. No way they should be allowed to drink in public.

Tell that to every other country in the world and most of them have less issues with alcohol abuse than we do. Americans are the only ones in the western world with this asinine taboo of alcohol.

Sure, tell that to the parents of kids who died, either by driving drunk, or by a drunk driver behind the wheel.

How does the ABUSE of a beverage define the normal practice of it?

Sure lets have laws that punish abusive or irresponsible use of a substance, but to simply ban it altogether by age category is unwise, discriminatory and counter productive.

By banning it you give the product a mystique that lures more people to abuse and over consume it.

you have something against BIZARRE CORRELATIONS?

Lol., yes, they tend to be irrational.

Long,

I dunno; I just say 'whore'. And Baptists are weird, dont define all Christendom by those fringe wack jobs. :D

you have something against BIZARRE CORRELATIONS?

Lol., yes, they tend to be irrational.

Long,

I dunno; I just say 'whore'. And Baptists are weird, dont define all Christendom by those fringe wack jobs. :D

I like Baptists--------it is my GLIMPSE of southern culture and charm. ----and besides-----THEY GOT RHYTHM..... elvis was a baptist

The 18 year old drives the tank under orders from a superior officer. They can drink under the orders of a superior officer. Spring break has not convinced me that 18 year old's have the judgment to handle alcohol.

I like Baptists--------it is my GLIMPSE of southern culture and charm. ----and besides-----THEY GOT RHYTHM..... elvis was a baptist

I like Baptists too, but preferably when I have to squint to see them.

The 18 year old drives the tank under orders from a superior officer. They can drink under the orders of a superior officer. Spring break has not convinced me that 18 year old's have the judgment to handle alcohol.

for those who do not know-------ALCOHOL USE IS RAMPANT IN THE MILITARY---for everyone------the big BARGAIN IN THE PX is----booze. When I was IN-----
I did not drink at all------(I need a bit now that I AM OLD) They used to tell us----
if you get your groceries at the PX----you SAVE ---like 70% ----true only if your entire diet consists of beer, booze and cigarettes. I do not recall AGE limits-----there was beer in VENDING MACHINES

for those who do not know-------ALCOHOL USE IS RAMPANT IN THE MILITARY---for everyone------the big BARGAIN IN THE PX is----booze. When I was IN-----
I did not drink at all------(I need a bit now that I AM OLD) They used to tell us----
if you get your groceries at the PX----you SAVE ---like 70% ----true only if your entire diet consists of beer, booze and cigarettes. I do not recall AGE limits-----there was beer in VENDING MACHINES
Thank you for your service.

Did you ever smell that horrible smelling cologne they sold? I could never understand why it remained in the PX till a Staff Sergeant explained it to me; you could poor it through a loaf of bread and get a fairly decent alcohol you could then mix with soda while out training in the field.

This law is blatant age discrimination toward young people.

12314046_995392180519762_5906847690152620817_n.jpg

It is absurd that an 18 year old can be responsible for driving a million dollar lethal tank but society says they cant handle a beer.

Bullshit. These stupid laws need to be removed as they discriminate on the basis of age against US citizens.

Remove the limitation completely! Do as they do throughout the rest of the world - make it a parent's responsibility to determine when minors should imbibe.

Thank you for your service.

Did you ever smell that horrible smelling cologne they sold? I could never understand why it remained in the PX till a Staff Sergeant explained it to me; you could poor it through a loaf of bread and get a fairly decent alcohol you could then mix with soda while out training in the field.

uhm-----there was STUFF all over the base-----SO I WAS TOLD

It is absurd that an 18 year old can be responsible for driving a million dollar lethal tank but society says they cant handle a beer.

Bullshit. These stupid laws need to be removed as they discriminate on the basis of age against US citizens.

Remove the limitation completely! Do as they do throughout the rest of the world - make it a parent's responsibility to determine when minors should imbibe.

A GREAT IDEA (from the oracle at usmb) -------remove the MYSTIQUE of
alcohol. I tasted whiskey------at about age five (or maybe four) ----the drop
left in my dad's shot glass as I sat on his lap. He was a very attentive and playful dad. I turned beet red------HATED THE TASTE------and never understood as
an adolescent why my contemporaries were SO EAGER to reach "DRINKING
AGE"-------orange juice tastes so much better. Children have a far more INTENSE
sense of taste than do adults-------and whiskey tastes LIKE POISON to a normal
child

When an 18 year old gets drunk at a bar and kills 3 people while driving drunk, try the parents for murder.

You are wrong!

If a parent lets a 12 year old drink or do drugs, then they should be jailed.

Come on, grow a brain.

So a parent should be jailed for doing what parents have been doing for the last 6,000 years?

Good Gawd.
100 years ago, it was common for a 40 year old man to marry a 14 year old girl, and the parents of the girl was the one making her marry. Would you be ok with that going back into the common practice?

I think we have advanced a little in our thinking.

If I caught my 12 year old son smoking a cigarette, and I made him smoke a pack, to try and break him from smoking, I would be locked up, and would deserve it. You don't teach a child to swim by letting them drown.

You can still give your kids a wine with dinner.

But why do you think that YOU should have the authority to tell parents what they can give their own children for dinner?
So you would have no problem with a parent feeding their kids
You need to take that up with the local governments, that promote spring break, and then allow such unruly behavior.

It's like those towns say to the young people: Come on down and party all you want, enjoy a week without rules.

I would be all for this, if every parent was a parent, and not just somebody stuck at home with the kids.

Some people would spend their last dollar on beer and cigarettes while their children have nothing to eat, that is not a parent, that is a worthless excuse for a human being.

100 years ago, it was common for a 40 year old man to marry a 14 year old girl, and the parents of the girl was the one making her marry. Would you be ok with that going back into the common practice?

To compare allowing fully enfranchised legal adults drinking alcohol to young teen marriage, is completely gratuitous and unrelated. You could just as easily argue like that to ban bell bottoms and tie dyed T-Shirts.

If I caught my 12 year old son smoking a cigarette, and I made him smoke a pack, to try and break him from smoking, I would be locked up, and would deserve it.

No, you wouldnt deserve it. How do you assume to have the moral authority to lock parents up for doing what they think is best for their kids?

Where do you people come from? Soviet Mongolia?

I would be all for this, if every parent was a parent, and not just somebody stuck at home with the kids.

Some people would spend their last dollar on beer and cigarettes while their children have nothing to eat, that is not a parent, that is a worthless excuse for a human being.

So because some slim tiny subpercentage of parents would neglect their kids and spend all their money on alcohol, which they still already do now, you think that adult teens should be banned from having a can of beer?

roflmao, you just cant make this shit up.

You are wrong!

If a parent lets a 12 year old drink or do drugs, then they should be jailed.

Come on, grow a brain.

So a parent should be jailed for doing what parents have been doing for the last 6,000 years?

Good Gawd.

If I caught my 12 year old son smoking a cigarette, and I made him smoke a pack, to try and break him from smoking, I would be locked up, and would deserve it. You don't teach a child to swim by letting them drown.
100 years ago in parts of the country 11 and 12 year old boys routinely went hunting and provided the family food. 18 year olds worked. Many had families of their own. They took care of their own children.

18 year olds today are infantile. They lack boundaries and judgment. They are not equipped to take care of themselves. They can't decide what to have for breakfast they should decide how much alcohol to drink? It's really, really stupid.

Now I have not met the young of other countries and cannot comment on the level of maturity an 18 year old has around the world. In this country, the young have no intention of being responsible adults. They want to still have the excuse of being young.

If we consider young men and women in the military as being adults at 18, then they can buy alcohol with a military ID.

No adult of any age who feels the need of a safe space should be allowed to drink booze.

Tell that to every other country in the world and most of them have less issues with alcohol abuse than we do. Americans are the only ones in the western world with this asinine taboo of alcohol.

Sure, tell that to the parents of kids who died, either by driving drunk, or by a drunk driver behind the wheel.

Tell it to the parents of kids who died in a car accident not the result of drunk driving.

Tell it to the parents of kids who've been shot to death. You want to ban guns?

Tell it to the parents of kids who've committed suicide.

Should I go on? People die from all kinds of things. The fact is there are less drunk driving fatalities in Europe and Canada despite a younger drinking age so you're argument is purely emotional based and without merit.

Forum List

Back