It is Way Past Time to Lower Drinking Age to 18 Again

It is absurd that an 18 year old can be responsible for driving a million dollar lethal tank but society says they cant handle a beer.

Bullshit. These stupid laws need to be removed as they discriminate on the basis of age against US citizens.

Discrimination isn't even the real issue. The 21 year old drinking age has caused more harm than good. In most other countries alcohol is a normal part of life. In many places in Europe, for example, kids have wine with meals and they're raised to consume it responsibly unlike the United States where prohibition to young adults has only resulted in abuse and a wasteful use of taxpayer resources to enforce it.
In this case it's OK to be more like Europe, I guess.

In some ways it is. In others, no.

If the European soccer fathers with their sons in the bar drinking were butt fucking them, that means we are supposed to allow that too? .

Translation - I'm going to resort to completely insane and immature hyperbole because I lack the the critical thinking abilities to formulate a legitimate argument as to why we should continue to let the federal government black mail states into keeping the drinking age at 21.

Another "small government" "Tenth Amendment" conservative I see...........

Boys dont stop growing till at least 21. No way they should be allowed to drink in public.

Tell that to every other country in the world and most of them have less issues with alcohol abuse than we do. Americans are the only ones in the western world with this asinine taboo of alcohol.

We have more drunks

Exactly. Prohibition has been real affective, right? Just like the War on Drugs

Boys dont stop growing till at least 21. No way they should be allowed to drink in public.

Tell that to every other country in the world and most of them have less issues with alcohol abuse than we do. Americans are the only ones in the western world with this asinine taboo of alcohol.

We have more drunks

In that case, there should be no restrictions. Three year olds should get drunk or high if they want.

100 years ago, it was common for a 40 year old man to marry a 14 year old girl, and the parents of the girl was the one making her marry. Would you be ok with that going back into the common practice?

I think we have advanced a little in our thinking.

If I caught my 12 year old son smoking a cigarette, and I made him smoke a pack, to try and break him from smoking, I would be locked up, and would deserve it. You don't teach a child to swim by letting them drown.

We aren't talking about 12 year olds.

Amazing how not a single prohibition supporter has been able to come up with a legitimate argument in defense of their support of the federal government black mailing the states.

All that Tea Party conservatism on display......

In that case, there should be no restrictions. Three year olds should get drunk or high if they want.

Another prohibition supporter unable to come up with a legitimate argument in defense of her support of the federal government black mailing the states.

Is this your "small" government and personal responsibility you're always talking about? Conservatives continue to demonstrate they are just as nanny state as the left.

We have more drunks

hey daddy, guess what guess what guess what? Hey daddy you listenin to me? Hey daddy, I wanna beer, can I have one?

WHY NOT WHY NOT WHY NOT?

If you're old enough to be drafted then you're old enough to buy a drink.

100 years ago in parts of the country 11 and 12 year old boys routinely went hunting and provided the family food. 18 year olds worked. Many had families of their own. They took care of their own children.

18 year olds today are infantile. They lack boundaries and judgment. They are not equipped to take care of themselves.

That's because of people like you and others in society who continue to treat them like children instead of expecting them to behave like adults.

They can't decide what to have for breakfast they should decide how much alcohol to drink? It's really, really stupid.

Because they never drink now. Everyone knows 18, 19, and 20 year olds never touch alcohol until their 21st birthday....

Now I have not met the young of other countries and cannot comment on the level of maturity an 18 year old has around the world.

It's no surprise you've never left the United States.

In this country, the young have no intention of being responsible adults. They want to still have the excuse of being young.

No, as pointed out before, people like you won't let them.

If we consider young men and women in the military as being adults at 18, then they can buy alcohol with a military ID.

So now people in the military are a special caste of citizens who get more rights and privileges than others?

No adult of any age who feels the need of a safe space should be allowed to drink booze.

I bet we could come up with plenty of reasons to keep you from being allowed to drink too.

100 years ago, it was common for a 40 year old man to marry a 14 year old girl, and the parents of the girl was the one making her marry. Would you be ok with that going back into the common practice?

If I caught my 12 year old son smoking a cigarette, and I made him smoke a pack, to try and break him from smoking, I would be locked up, and would deserve it. You don't teach a child to swim by letting them drown.

Amazing how not a single prohibition supporter has been able to come up with a legitimate argument in defense of their support of the federal government black mailing the states.

Understand this!

I am all for any 18 year old, to do whatever they want to their own body, or put whatever they want into their body.

I am not for allowing even 1 parent to force their children, under 18, to drink alcohol, or use drugs for just recreational use.

Prohibition has never worked. Laws against murder haven't worked. Robberies still happen despite all the laws against robbery. Laws against hate crimes have not reduced hate crimes. Prohibition has never worked.

Understand this!

I am all for any 18 year old, to do whatever they want to their own body, or put whatever they want into their body.

I am not for allowing even 1 parent to force their children, under 18, to drink alcohol, or use drugs for just recreational use.

Who is talking about parents forcing their children to drink alcohol and use drugs?

100 years ago in parts of the country 11 and 12 year old boys routinely went hunting and provided the family food. 18 year olds worked. Many had families of their own. They took care of their own children.

18 year olds today are infantile. They lack boundaries and judgment. They are not equipped to take care of themselves.

That's because of people like you and others in society who continue to treat them like children instead of expecting them to behave like adults.

They can't decide what to have for breakfast they should decide how much alcohol to drink? It's really, really stupid.

Because they never drink now. Everyone knows 18, 19, and 20 year olds never touch alcohol until their 21st birthday....

Now I have not met the young of other countries and cannot comment on the level of maturity an 18 year old has around the world.

It's no surprise you've never left the United States.

In this country, the young have no intention of being responsible adults. They want to still have the excuse of being young.

No, as pointed out before, people like you won't let them.

If we consider young men and women in the military as being adults at 18, then they can buy alcohol with a military ID.

So now people in the military are a special caste of citizens who get more rights and privileges than others?

No adult of any age who feels the need of a safe space should be allowed to drink booze.

I bet we could come up with plenty of reasons to keep you from being allowed to drink too.
I don't drink. Too bad for you. Perhaps you are right. Parents refuse to raise children to be responsible adults. Remove children from their homes and raise them in state institutions.

If we can trust a 16 year old with driving a weapon that weighs more than a ton, at a speed of greater than 15 mph, why is it so hard to trust them 2 years later, to drink responsibly?

I don't drink. Too bad for you.

Good thing. I can't imagine the asshattery you'd be spewing if you were drinking.

Perhaps you are right. Parents refuse to raise children to be responsible adults. Remove children from their homes and raise them in state institutions.

Not the slightest bit surprised that would be your stance. Conservatives have a lot in common with the authoritarian Communist regimes they claim to hate so much.

Understand this!

Who is talking about parents forcing their children to drink alcohol and use drugs?

Since you can't read comprehensively, i'll answer you.

I AM!

Good thing. I can't imagine the asshattery you'd be spewing if you were drinking.

Perhaps you are right. Parents refuse to raise children to be responsible adults. Remove children from their homes and raise them in state institutions.

Not the slightest bit surprised that would be your stance. Conservatives have a lot in common with the authoritarian Communist regimes they claim to hate so much.
Is you upset that you cant pull out your poke on the job? aww, poor ole guy.

If we can trust a 16 year old with driving a weapon that weighs more than a ton, at a speed of greater than 15 mph, why is it so hard to trust them 2 years later, to drink responsibly?
Have you seen the accident statistics for 16 year olds. They have poor judgment. They drink and drive, they text and drive. At 18 they get drunk and high and still think they can safely drive. A 16 year old girl gets drunk and it becomes a good idea to let the whole football team fuck her.

There is nothing magical about an age number. We raise children to remain immature later and later in life. They make poor decisions then want to be protected from the consequences of those decisions. If 18 year olds want to be able to drink, act like an adult, not an 8 year old.

We are talking about parents too emotionally crippled to raise children into adults. They can only manage aged children.

Forum List

Back