Did you read this link

• Nope

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Yep

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • If you did not, why not

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Sure, authoritarianism is the natural result of going too far in either political direction. It can happen to any country.

Trump has certainly exhibited those tendencies at times, and his supporters have obediently followed right along.

On the other end are the Regressive Leftists, illiberal leftist authoritarians, constantly leveraging & weaponizing PC and Identity Politics.

Both ends clearly demonstrate for us regularly why moderation and pragmatism must win the day, before it's too late.
So do you want Trump to be a leader or a follower?
Every leader shows authoritarian traits.
What you do with your position makes all of the difference.
Obama abused his authority.
I see no evidence of Trump doing it yet.
If he did I'm sure the press would be the first to scream about it.
There are myriad ways to "lead". It's not binary, "leader" or "follower".

But I do agree, in that all I care about is results. That's the bottom line.

Ask me in ten years after he's out of office. In the meantime, I'll be over here, a little horrified, hoping he kicks my ass and proves me wrong. This guy is the ultimate "you have to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelette" President. Okay. We'll see what it looks like in the end.

"Authoritarianism, principle of blind submission to authority, as opposed to individual freedom of thought and action. In government, authoritarianism denotes any political system that concentrates power in the hands of a leader or a small elite that is not constitutionally responsible to the body of the people. Authoritarian leaders often exercise power arbitrarily and without regard to existing bodies of law, and they usually cannot be replaced by citizens choosing freely among various competitors in elections. The freedom to create opposition political parties or other alternative political groupings with which to compete for power with the ruling group is either limited or nonexistent in authoritarian regimes."

authoritarianism | Definition & Facts

I know from experience that like an ostrich the supporters of Donald Trump and the members here who support the governance under the leadership of McConnell and Ryan, will not read the above link. It exposes Authoritarianism in general, and those governments in the past who are accepted as authoritarian and how they evolved.

For those who choose to mock this thread, none should call them patriots.

Holy shit I forgot this was YOUR thread!

Lol, you invite people to read something as generic as the f'in Britannica entry on authoritarianism and then refuse to defend your own point on your own thread because my post was too long? Too long for you to even bother to read, let alone respond to? LMFAO. Why make this thread and post these links if you assume that everybody, not just you, is too lazy to read?

Holy fuck that's sad.
ADHD. Wry's attention span is about 4 seconds so no real response (even though one was asked for) will be read. The entire OP was probably written over the span of a week or more.

"Authoritarianism, principle of blind submission to authority, as opposed to individual freedom of thought and action. In government, authoritarianism denotes any political system that concentrates power in the hands of a leader or a small elite that is not constitutionally responsible to the body of the people. Authoritarian leaders often exercise power arbitrarily and without regard to existing bodies of law, and they usually cannot be replaced by citizens choosing freely among various competitors in elections. The freedom to create opposition political parties or other alternative political groupings with which to compete for power with the ruling group is either limited or nonexistent in authoritarian regimes."

I know from experience that like an ostrich the supporters of Donald Trump and the members here who support the governance under the leadership of McConnell and Ryan, will not read the above link. It exposes Authoritarianism in general, and those governments in the past who are accepted as authoritarian and how they evolved.

Authoritarianism describes Putin's Russia, and Trumpettes love Putin. And they love Trump, who clearly would like to be an authoritarian leader. I don't think it can happen here because of the Constitution, but he sure is trying, and it is, indeed, very true that his base support him and his efforts intensely and passionately. Very anti-American.
How typical for you to post a funny. You DO know that is a positive rating.
Why would I expect a thoughtful reply from you when historically you post what you have been told and resort to insults and simplistic soundbites.
Here, I will post your well thought out reply below for you. Wouldn't want you to strain the brain.

:laugh:

A circle jerk of let's attack the messenger . How typical of those in denial, or simply dishonest and unwilling to accept the opinion of not only Wry Catcher, but millions of other American patriots.

Trump is a wannabe autocrat, a bully and a narcissistic megalomaniac, unfit to be POTUS. The evidence is clear, the definition is clear and rather than offer proof that he is a leader and puts Country First is missing in ad hominems above.
The only thing you got right is that Trump is a bully. One of the reasons the American workers hired him was to use the bully pulpit of the presidency against the fascists. And he has been wildly successful, jackass.

I really don't see why you think that letting workers keep more of their hard earned money rather than becoming so poor that they are relegated to being nothing but a dependent of the state somehow constitutes authoritarianism.

Trump's victories against the authoritarian party of slavery (aka the Democratic party) really upsets you weak-minded brainwashed jackasses and I delightfully wallow in your tears.

Other than being ridiculous and echoing the right wing meme, do you have anything thoughtful, thought provoking or substantive to offer (not that you ever have, but I do need to ask)?

I suggest you do some research on mental illness, begin with reading the definitions in the DSM-V on Personality Disorders,specifically Cluster B: Narcissistic and Histrionic; don't ignore reading the descriptions in Cluster's A and C, as well as research into psychotic denial.

And, BTW, you use too many words to offer a credible ad hominem, stay with your usual idiot-gram, it saves time and is still an ineffective response to real issues on matters you seem to know nothing about.

Sure, authoritarianism is the natural result of going too far in either political direction. It can happen to any country.

Trump has certainly exhibited those tendencies at times, and his supporters have obediently followed right along.

On the other end are the Regressive Leftists, illiberal leftist authoritarians, constantly leveraging & weaponizing PC and Identity Politics.

Both ends clearly demonstrate for us regularly why moderation and pragmatism must win the day, before it's too late.

Ask me in ten years after he's out of office. In the meantime, I'll be over here, a little horrified, hoping he kicks my ass and proves me wrong. This guy is the ultimate "you have to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelette" President. Okay. We'll see what it looks like in the end.
It seems that many times the press is critical of his actions but end up eating crow and having to move on. A good example is his comments about who has a working Nuke program. Seems Little Kim felt Trump was gonna be scared if he threatened him with his button on his desk, to which Trump responded not only was his bigger but his worked. Now N. Korea is playing nice and asking if the can start talks with S. Korea, possibly competing in the Winter Olympics next month.

You see different people respond differently.

It seems that many times the press is critical of his actions but end up eating crow and having to move on. A good example is his comments about who has a working Nuke program. Seems Little Kim felt Trump was gonna be scared if he threatened him with his button on his desk, to which Trump responded not only was his bigger but his worked. Now N. Korea is playing nice and asking if the can start talks with S. Korea, possibly competing in the Winter Olympics next month.

But you know they're not gonna stop going after him. If Kim crawled into the White House on his hands and knees, kissed Trump's feet and apologized, and they'll just ignore the story and go after him somewhere else. So in that way, yeah, they're moving on.

Trump is the ultimate political high wire act. That's fine, as long as he and his supporters understand that.

A circle jerk of let's attack the messenger . How typical of those in denial, or simply dishonest and unwilling to accept the opinion of not only Wry Catcher, but millions of other American patriots.

Trump is a wannabe autocrat, a bully and a narcissistic megalomaniac, unfit to be POTUS. The evidence is clear, the definition is clear and rather than offer proof that he is a leader and puts Country First is missing in ad hominems above.
The only thing you got right is that Trump is a bully. One of the reasons the American workers hired him was to use the bully pulpit of the presidency against the fascists. And he has been wildly successful, jackass.

I really don't see why you think that letting workers keep more of their hard earned money rather than becoming so poor that they are relegated to being nothing but a dependent of the state somehow constitutes authoritarianism.

Trump's victories against the authoritarian party of slavery (aka the Democratic party) really upsets you weak-minded brainwashed jackasses and I delightfully wallow in your tears.

Other than being ridiculous and echoing the right wing meme, do you have anything thoughtful, thought provoking or substantive to offer (not that you ever have, but I do need to ask)?

I suggest you do some research on mental illness, begin with reading the definitions in the DSM-V on Personality Disorders,specifically Cluster B: Narcissistic and Histrionic; don't ignore reading the descriptions in Cluster's A and C, as well as research into psychotic denial.

And, BTW, you use too many words to offer a credible ad hominem, stay with your usual idiot-gram, it saves time and is still an ineffective response to real issues on matters you seem to know nothing about.

I offered you an answer that addressed every virtually irrelevant, roundabout point you had about why Trump's an authoritarian, and you told me it'd be a waste of time to read something that long, then told me that you're sure that you're right because of your education and experience. Don't act, now, as though nobody's offered anything other than ad hominem attacks when you've clearly stated that you don't have the time to read anything more than that.

And while you're not acting like you're actually here for a substantive conversation, maybe you can answer a SIMPLE question. In stead of offering me hints on how an authoritarian might rise to power, why don't you tell me, after a year in the executive office, what ACTUAL legislative proposals or executive actions has Trump executed that you would classify as authoritarian in nature?

i've been studying psychology (especially abnormal psychology) for decades because the subject fascinates me. Trump uses self-effacing humor. He's been on late night comedy programs doing skits in which he makes fun of himself. He's also been the guest of honor on a Comedy Central Roast.

Narcissists simply don't do that.

Last edited:

i've been studying psychology (especially abnormal psychology) for decades because the subject fascinates me. Trump uses self-effacing humor. He's been on late night comedy programs doing skits skits in which he makes fun of himself. He's also been the guest of honor on a Comedy Central Roast.

Maybe you need to study a bit more (lots). Your first sentence fascinates me, by giving me more insight into you than you will understand.

Perhaps while you're perusing this psychological literature and trying to map it over your dark fantasy of Adolf Trump, you could recommend some titles that include information on how a serious psychoanalysis is done, specifically what sort of interviewing and observation practice an actual expert might use in order to actually diagnose these conditions. I'd like to see which doctors you cite who recommend using the public persona of a long time celebrity-turned-politician, specifically using his political opponents' interpretations of statements he's made during political speeches and in public internet rants as your entire body of evidence.

I'm sure you'll turn up some historically prestigious titans of the psychological field who stand behind exactly such a course of action, since you're being so scientific and all. I mean, I won't hold my breath, but I'm confident you'll turn up something :)

i've been studying psychology (especially abnormal psychology) for decades because the subject fascinates me. Trump uses self-effacing humor. He's been on late night comedy programs doing skits skits in which he makes fun of himself. He's also been the guest of honor on a Comedy Central Roast.

Maybe you need to study a bit more (lots). Your first sentence fascinates me, by giving me more insight into you than you will understand.
Your concession is respectfully accepted.

But you know they're not gonna stop going after him. If Kim crawled into the White House on his hands and knees, kissed Trump's feet and apologized, and they'll just ignore the story and go after him somewhere else. So in that way, yeah, they're moving on.

Trump is the ultimate political high wire act. That's fine, as long as he and his supporters understand that.
Actually he's wise but impulsive, especially with his thoughts on twitter.
The media takes advantage of this but it often bites them in the ass.
The point being Trump doesn't give a flying - fuck what they think.
He's set in his ways and unshakable.

Quote)" not "giving a f- - - k about what others think" "or being set in his ways" "unshakable" are Not always the best way to deal with things. being open to new ideas, allowing for flexibility in any given situation, while not losing sight of over all goals. serves a president best. his job is to work for all of us, not just those who agree with him.

Quote)" not "giving a f- - - k about what others think" "or being set in his ways" "unshakable" are Not always the best way to deal with things. being open to new ideas, allowing for flexibility in any given situation, while not losing sight of over all goals. serves a president best. his job is to work for all of us, not just those who agree with him.
Or in other words, grease his palm and he'll bend over backwards.
We didn't elect Trump just to have him sell us out like the Clintons and Obama did.
We elected him to stand up to the establishment and do what he promised.

Idiot-gram ^^^

[those who are fascinated by Ab Psych are curious for personal reasons. Most know they are odd and are seeking an explanation but unwilling to seek help - very sad]

Idiot-gram ^^^

[those who are fascinated by Ab Psych are curious for personal reasons. Most know they are odd and are seeking an explanation but unwilling to seek help - very sad]
Actually my fascination with abnormal psychology stems from the murder of a close friend when I was a child. What makes psychopaths and sociopaths tick?

Last edited:

Idiot-gram ^^^

Actually my fascination with abnormal psychology stems from the murder of a close friend when I was a child. What makes psychopaths and sociopaths tick?

So, some trauma was the root for your personal curiosity. Good to know.

In response to your comment: Both terms are passé; they have been incorporated into Personality Disorders and found under Cluster B.

My copy of the DSM-IVr is not as up to date as I would like. But if you are serious in your study you may want to go to a library and look over the section in DSM-V on personality disorders, which may put Trump's behavior into proper perspective for you and others who are not willfully ignorant.

Of course it can happen here . But we survived the Obama years. Trump is giving more power to the people and less to the gov. Long as he keeps doing that we don’t have to worry

Idiot-gram ^^^

In response to your comment: Both terms are passé; they have been incorporated into Personality Disorders and found under Cluster B.

My copy of the DSM-IVr is not as up to date as I would like. But if you are serious in your study you may want to go to a library and look over the section in DSM-V on personality disorders, which may put Trump's behavior into proper perspective for you and others who are not willfully ignorant.
Quit pretending that you know anything about psychology, jackass.

Narcissists do not use self deprecating humor.

Idiot-gram ^^^

Quit pretending that you know anything about psychology, jackass.

Narcissists do not use self deprecating humor.

Your arrogance is only superseded by your ignorance.

Forum List

Back