Israel's former chief rabbi arrested on suspicion of accepting millions in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfalfa

Rookie
Sep 6, 2013
Israel's former chief rabbi arrested on suspicion of accepting millions in bribes - National Israel News | Haaretz

Former chief rabbi Rabbi Yona Metzger was arrested Monday morning on suspicion he had received bribes and committed other crimes during the period he had served as Ashkenazi chief rabbi. A gag order was lifted on the case on Monday.

Metzger is suspected of bribery, money laundering, obstructing an investigation, fraud and other violations.

Police suspect that Metzger had accepted bribes of money and goods from the heads of various nonprofit associations in return for advancing their interests. Police said the amounts involved totaled millions of shekels.

Metzger was elected chief rabbi in April 2003, and was also named a dayan (rabbinic judge) on the Supreme Rabbinical Court. In 2005 he was investigated on suspicion he had received tens of thousands of shekels in benefits from Jerusalem hotels that accommodated him and his family during the holidays, even though the state was renting him a luxury apartment in the capital.

In a detailed legal opinion, then-Attorney General Menahem Mazuz decided that there wasn’t sufficient evidence to put Metzger on trial; In February 2008, the Rabbinical Court Judge Selection Committee decided not to remove Metzger. (heheh)

A series of documents published by Haaretz in 2003 described how the Chief Rabbinate decided to ignore serious suspicions that had accumulated against Metzger when the latter was a candidate for chief rabbi of Tel Aviv in 1998, in exchange for him dropping out of the race. Then Sephardic Chief Rabbi Eliyahu Bakshi-Doron was aware, in 1998, of at least one complaint of sexual harassment against Metzger, but despite this, he signed a document in which he committed to drop an investigation of those suspicions.
(hehehe)

At least he didn't molest any boys...OOOPS....

Back in 2003, there were reports that Metzger had allegedly sexually harassed other men. Then-Attorney General Elyakim Rubinstein decided not to launch a criminal investigation. Two of the four men who had told the Maariv newspaper that Metzger had harassed them took polygraph tests and were found to be telling the truth.

"Thus, the various allegations of Metzger’s violation of halacha and the law that remain open include: sexual harassment, forging signatures on ketubot (marriage contracts), improper conduct toward couples seeking to get married and their families, extortion and threats against Rabbi Shlomo Dichovsky and more. According to the documents obtained 10 years ago by Haaretz, Dichovsky had complained in 1998 that Metzger had tried to extort and threaten him so that he should not compete against him for the post of Ashkenazi chief rabbi in Tel Aviv."

Let me guess...israel decided not to investigate nor prosecute...heheh.

Last edited:
Israel's former chief rabbi arrested on suspicion of accepting millions in bribes - National Israel News | Haaretz

Former chief rabbi Rabbi Yona Metzger was arrested Monday morning on suspicion he had received bribes and committed other crimes during the period he had served as Ashkenazi chief rabbi. A gag order was lifted on the case on Monday.

Metzger is suspected of bribery, money laundering, obstructing an investigation, fraud and other violations.

Police suspect that Metzger had accepted bribes of money and goods from the heads of various nonprofit associations in return for advancing their interests. Police said the amounts involved totaled millions of shekels.

Metzger was elected chief rabbi in April 2003, and was also named a dayan (rabbinic judge) on the Supreme Rabbinical Court. In 2005 he was investigated on suspicion he had received tens of thousands of shekels in benefits from Jerusalem hotels that accommodated him and his family during the holidays, even though the state was renting him a luxury apartment in the capital.

In a detailed legal opinion, then-Attorney General Menahem Mazuz decided that there wasn’t sufficient evidence to put Metzger on trial; In February 2008, the Rabbinical Court Judge Selection Committee decided not to remove Metzger. (heheh)

A series of documents published by Haaretz in 2003 described how the Chief Rabbinate decided to ignore serious suspicions that had accumulated against Metzger when the latter was a candidate for chief rabbi of Tel Aviv in 1998, in exchange for him dropping out of the race. Then Sephardic Chief Rabbi Eliyahu Bakshi-Doron was aware, in 1998, of at least one complaint of sexual harassment against Metzger, but despite this, he signed a document in which he committed to drop an investigation of those suspicions.
(hehehe)

At least he didn't molest and boys...OOOPS....

Back in 2003, there were reports that Metzger had allegedly sexually harassed other men. Then-Attorney General Elyakim Rubinstein decided not to launch a criminal investigation. Two of the four men who had told the Maariv newspaper that Metzger had harassed them took polygraph tests and were found to be telling the truth.

"Thus, the various allegations of Metzger’s violation of halacha and the law that remain open include: sexual harassment, forging signatures on ketubot (marriage contracts), improper conduct toward couples seeking to get married and their families, extortion and threats against Rabbi Shlomo Dichovsky and more. According to the documents obtained 10 years ago by Haaretz, Dichovsky had complained in 1998 that Metzger had tried to extort and threaten him so that he should not compete against him for the post of Ashkenazi chief rabbi in Tel Aviv."

This is last month's story which we have been apprised of previously. I thought you would be on your way romancing Arafat's widow in Paris to get some of that huge chucnk of money he stole which belongs to the people. Maybe the present head Ayatollah in Iran can share some of the billions he has stashed away with Alfalfa because he and Alfalfa are kindred spirits when it comes to the Jews.

(hehehe)

"Metzger gave an interview with the British Jewish News paper in January 2008 in which he advocated transferring the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to the Sinai Peninsula, adding that though Israel welcomed peaceful Muslims, the world's Muslims needed to recognize that Jerusalem 'belongs' to the Jewish people, saying, 'You have another place, Mecca and Medina, you don't need a third place.'"

Maybe the good rabbi needs a third strike?

Yona Metzger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Jew who's shady with money? Stop it. Get out. Nazi!

Guess you missed this when someone posted it last month. Now how do we know that you aren't shady with money? In addition, I think people are smart enough to realize that there are clergymen all over the world who manage to be shady with money.

• Banned

(hehehe)

This is last month's story which we have been apprised of previously. I thought you would be on your way romancing Arafat's widow in Paris to get some of that huge chucnk of money he stole which belongs to the people. Maybe the present head Ayatollah in Iran can share some of the billions he has stashed away with Alfalfa because he and Alfalfa are kindred spirits when it comes to the Jews.

I don't hold much fondness for the arafats, palis or the plo.

Guess you missed this when someone posted it last month. Now how do we know that you aren't shady with money? In addition, I think people are smart enough to realize that there are clergymen all over the world who manage to be shady with money.

Really, where is that thread here on this ME discussion board?

I did not see it.

Do you admire criminal Zionist Rabbis?

What is it you admire about them?

Last edited:
  • Banned

This was THE CHIEF RABBI OF ISRAEL. That's like the pope but for jews, right?

What's hilarious is the accusations and at least some investigations have been going on for 10-15 years. Everyone kept letting him off the hook because he was, you know "Il duce".

I guess in israel being chief rabbi is like being j edgar hoover...nobody wants to fuck with you because you can crush them like a bug.

(BTW - Did you notice the clumsy hasbara attempt? Heheheh...)

I did not see it.

Perhaps when two-bit anti-Semites are concerned with all the bribery and corruption around the world, I will sit up and take notice. As of now, I realize that the only reason this Rabbi was brought up even though it is last-month's news is because of his religion. I am sure you have at least some brains to google and find out about the bribery and corruption around the world, even articles which include Muslim clergymen. I realize it is wrong for people of whatever religion they are to do things like that, but I am also aware that it happens in every religion, every ethnic group and every race.

I do not defend or worship criminal rabbis like Sally does.

She must belong to some really fucked up cult wherever she lives.

To belong to some cult that excuses and looks the other way at all the crimes this man is accused of, bribery, extortion, sexual crimes, that is really sick!

Last edited:

I did not see it.

Perhaps when two-bit anti-Semites are concerned with all the bribery and corruption around the world, I will sit up and take notice. As of now, I realize that the only reason this Rabbi was brought up even though it is last-month's news is because of his religion. I am sure you have at least some brains to google and find out about the bribery and corruption around the world, even articles which include Muslim clergymen. I realize it is wrong for people of whatever religion they are to do things like that, but I am also aware that it happens in every religion, every ethnic group and every race.

So because "everyone does it" that makes it okay for the jewish pope to do it?

Is that what you zionists keep telling yourself "Well, the GERMANS did it!".

I did not see it.

So because "everyone does it" that makes it okay for the jewish pope to do it?

Is that what you zionists keep telling yourself "Well, the GERMANS did it!".

Do you really think you are kidding anyone about why you posted an article from last month? Did I not say that it wrong for people of whatever religion they are to do things like that, but not every person is as squeaky clean as you, Alfalfa, who would probably steal the gold teeth out of a dead man in the funeral home.

"This was THE CHIEF RABBI OF ISRAEL. That's like the pope but for jews, right?"

Alf, NO. There's no such thing in Judaism. Any Rabbi's *opinion* is merely that, his opinion - except in the specific instance where a given person has gone to that rabbi with a formal request for a ruling on a point of religious law - and even then, it's the individual person's choice to submit their situation to the rabbi's judgement.

Just because it sounds like 'chief rabbi' is a big deal - doesn't necessarily mean it is so. The only people who care about that stuff are SOME of the Orthodox Jews within Israel: the man's 'authority' is really no greater than that of any other Orthodox rabbi.

Again, there is no such thing as 'the Jewish pope': that is simply making stuff up. Most American Jews couldn't care less that there are a couple of 'chief rabbis' in Israel.

But you and the sherrithing continue to carry on with your asinine flaming against those strawmen you're so fond of.

I do not defend or worship criminal rabbis like Sally does.

She must belong to some really fucked up cult wherever she lives.

To belong to some cult that excuses and looks the other way at all the crimes this man is accused of, bribery, extortion, sexual crimes, that is really sick!

This is hilarious! The l'il sherriliar, the pious l'il pustule who 'doesn't hate anyone', manufacturing strawfolk above expressly to provide itself with an excuse to attack demonize another poster.....

When anyone behaves so, indulging themselves in fantasies to 'excuse' their vile behavior - they show themselves to be a hypocrite, in addition to their many other flaws. Such blatant hypocrisy -the siggy flaming other posters for doing what its author does 'in spades' - also renders the poster's attempts to make any points both useless and worthless.....

Sally, please do stop trying to confuse the poor l'il bigot-filth with facts and reality. They imagine in their overweening pride that they and they alone are the source of all the facts they wish to know.....

OMG! There may be a bad Jew in Israel. Good Lord, what is this world coming to?

More like the "head pope rabbi bad jew kimosabe".

You know, the holiest person in israel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back