Islam and Mental Illness

When a person does something crazy, even violent and crazy - we usually accept that they are mentally ill. Our culture still has a long ways to go in regards to erasing the stigma of mental illness, and recognizing it as something that needs treatment - but it's come a long ways.

But, when that person is Muslim, there seems to be a double stigma attached to it. One: they are Muslim, and any crazy or violent behavior is blamed on their religion. Two: they are crazy, and mental illness still retains a huge stigma in the Muslim Community.

Take for example:

Amina Ali Ahra, who out of the blue grabbed a flag, and started attacking a nearby woman. She'd been reported as hanging around the area but did not live there, chased another woman into her house and when arrested was unable to give police coherent information. This sparked threads, claims of outrage directed at Muslim extremists and Muslims in general and immigrants in general, and in the end it was determined she had mental issues.

Nicholas Salvadore, who went on a bloody rampage, decapitating an elderly woman and two cats. Much was made of it as a religious terrorist attack because he was a Muslim. But, he was also mentally ill, and a paranoid schitzophrenic.

If they were not Muslim, it would quickly have been yesterday's news, no demands for "why isn't this in the news" etc. If they were not Muslim, people would have considered mental illness as a causative factor because the "religion thing" would not have been occupying so much headspace. It's also possible that if they hadn't been Muslim, their families and friends may have recognized signs and sought treatment in childhood before it erupted in to a tragedy.

‘Muslims must fight this taboo’ Islamic leaders want stigma around mental illness to end

Praising the Sunday Express for its Crusade for better mental health Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra, assistant Secretary-General for the Muslim Council of Britain, said feelings of shame, cultural and religious ignorance and a general lack of physical fitness meant that the rate of mental illness within Muslim communities far exceeded the three per cent national average.

In some quarters the situation was so bad that parents have banned schools from referring to their children as having special educational needs in awards ceremonies because of the perceived stigma involved, or feelings of personal guilt.

“Mental Illness still remains a taboo subject in Muslim communities and people are not seeking the help that is available. This is causing unnecessary distress to themselves and loved ones,” he said.

“Many parents try to keep mental illness with children hidden and under the radar. They don't want anyone to know. Sometimes they feel it's their fault, that as parents they are responsible for their children’s’ conditions. And others might agree.”

Their women are treated like cattle, of course they are going to be messed up in the head.

The men are even worse. Probably the majority of Muslim men in ME countries engage in homosexual acts with young Muslim boys. Sexually abused and repressed people are very prone to mental issues, that's why the Islamic world is so fucked up everywhere around the world.

Sounds a lot like radical American fundamentalist terrorists. And white separatist American terrorists.

Sounds like you'd be right at home with any of those groups.

Ok, so I found the video, and it's the same one Jroc keeps bringing up - in fact, there is another entire thread devoted to it in which he and I argued over it. I went to the 33 sec mark, and heard what she said.

The student, wrote a rebuttal, in which she explained:

UCSD Muslim Student Responds to David Horowitz Event

Insofar as my references to Hitler and the Nazi Youth programs: it was Mr. Horowitz who spent a substantial amount of time referring to the MSA as the “Hitler Youth” and its Justice in Palestine Week as “Hitler Youth Week”— pejorative titles that as a human being, a student of history, and a person of faith, I find disgusting. I uttered them in a sarcastic manner only to point out the ridiculous and slanderous nature of Mr. Horowitz’s labels—Nazis sought the extermination of anyone who was not “white,” and this racial category excludes the vast majority of the Muslim population.

Do you SERIOUSLY think she and the MSA were putting on a "Hitler Youth Week"? Seriously flacaltenn? Not even the screwiest college campus would tolerate that. Even her tone of voice was joking, not serious, if you listen to it.

You can argue, legitimately, that she still didn't condemn Hamas, and other points that she made, but I think you are wrong on this one.

Was she joking about supporting the proposition to bring all Jews to Israel so as to make the EXTERMINATION EASIER --- eh Coyote? If not -- then the sarcasm has no humor in it -- does it? And perhaps the "Hitler Youth Week" label is right on..

You heard it "Coyote" CAIR girl heard it... this girl put out a rebuttal. because she got a lot of publicity for wanting dead Jews she had to

It IS "trying too hard" to be fair to take it to that extreme, but Lawyers do it for cash all the time. On campus, that jihadi wields a lot of power and fear. Allowed to run rampant on a "protected public space". It's a a matter of perspective. She infects very pliant mushy minds with her hate. Who then buy the entire baloney about Jews and Israeli "apartheid" and never understand the issues. If you understand the issues -- you would THINK there would enough perspective NOT to get gathered up with EITHER RADICAL side.

Some fall into that trap because they are convinced they are supporting innocent underdogs.

If I was trying to be fair -- I'd look at it from BOTH sides. With a realistic perspective of potential threats and problems. And I wouldn't waste a moment trying to defend the indefensible.

As I told you -- it is especially important for Jews and "use to be Jews" to actually FIGHT against ugly generalizations and stereotypes and be SPECIFIC about pointing at threats. And not to succumb to identifying with an anti-Islam hysteria.

I thank God for rational Arab leadership whenever it appears. Instead of carpet bombing Muslim countries and disposing tyrants or playing semantics with a National "muslim ban" -- we should be ENGAGING rational foreign and domestic Islamic leadership and LISTENING to them and forging common ground. And at the same time, making it clear that America is NOT the place for folks who expect to import any part of the sick cultures that they were fleeing from..

When a person does something crazy, even violent and crazy - we usually accept that they are mentally ill. Our culture still has a long ways to go in regards to erasing the stigma of mental illness, and recognizing it as something that needs treatment - but it's come a long ways.

But, when that person is Muslim, there seems to be a double stigma attached to it. One: they are Muslim, and any crazy or violent behavior is blamed on their religion. Two: they are crazy, and mental illness still retains a huge stigma in the Muslim Community.

Take for example:

Amina Ali Ahra, who out of the blue grabbed a flag, and started attacking a nearby woman. She'd been reported as hanging around the area but did not live there, chased another woman into her house and when arrested was unable to give police coherent information. This sparked threads, claims of outrage directed at Muslim extremists and Muslims in general and immigrants in general, and in the end it was determined she had mental issues.

Nicholas Salvadore, who went on a bloody rampage, decapitating an elderly woman and two cats. Much was made of it as a religious terrorist attack because he was a Muslim. But, he was also mentally ill, and a paranoid schitzophrenic.

If they were not Muslim, it would quickly have been yesterday's news, no demands for "why isn't this in the news" etc. If they were not Muslim, people would have considered mental illness as a causative factor because the "religion thing" would not have been occupying so much headspace. It's also possible that if they hadn't been Muslim, their families and friends may have recognized signs and sought treatment in childhood before it erupted in to a tragedy.

‘Muslims must fight this taboo’ Islamic leaders want stigma around mental illness to end

Praising the Sunday Express for its Crusade for better mental health Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra, assistant Secretary-General for the Muslim Council of Britain, said feelings of shame, cultural and religious ignorance and a general lack of physical fitness meant that the rate of mental illness within Muslim communities far exceeded the three per cent national average.

In some quarters the situation was so bad that parents have banned schools from referring to their children as having special educational needs in awards ceremonies because of the perceived stigma involved, or feelings of personal guilt.

“Mental Illness still remains a taboo subject in Muslim communities and people are not seeking the help that is available. This is causing unnecessary distress to themselves and loved ones,” he said.

“Many parents try to keep mental illness with children hidden and under the radar. They don't want anyone to know. Sometimes they feel it's their fault, that as parents they are responsible for their children’s’ conditions. And others might agree.”

Their women are treated like cattle, of course they are going to be messed up in the head.

The men are even worse. Probably the majority of Muslim men in ME countries engage in homosexual acts with young Muslim boys. Sexually abused and repressed people are very prone to mental issues, that's why the Islamic world is so fucked up everywhere around the world.

Sounds a lot like radical American fundamentalist terrorists. And white separatist American terrorists.

Sounds like you'd be right at home with any of those groups.
As a Jew, may I ask which groups? Would you and your comrades accept me?

Ok, so I found the video, and it's the same one Jroc keeps bringing up - in fact, there is another entire thread devoted to it in which he and I argued over it. I went to the 33 sec mark, and heard what she said.

Insofar as my references to Hitler and the Nazi Youth programs: it was Mr. Horowitz who spent a substantial amount of time referring to the MSA as the “Hitler Youth” and its Justice in Palestine Week as “Hitler Youth Week”— pejorative titles that as a human being, a student of history, and a person of faith, I find disgusting. I uttered them in a sarcastic manner only to point out the ridiculous and slanderous nature of Mr. Horowitz’s labels—Nazis sought the extermination of anyone who was not “white,” and this racial category excludes the vast majority of the Muslim population.

Do you SERIOUSLY think she and the MSA were putting on a "Hitler Youth Week"? Seriously flacaltenn? Not even the screwiest college campus would tolerate that. Even her tone of voice was joking, not serious, if you listen to it.

You can argue, legitimately, that she still didn't condemn Hamas, and other points that she made, but I think you are wrong on this one.

Was she joking about supporting the proposition to bring all Jews to Israel so as to make the EXTERMINATION EASIER --- eh Coyote? If not -- then the sarcasm has no humor in it -- does it? And perhaps the "Hitler Youth Week" label is right on..

You heard it "Coyote" CAIR girl heard it... this girl put out a rebuttal. because she got a lot of publicity for wanting dead Jews she had to

It IS "trying too hard" to be fair to take it to that extreme, but Lawyers do it for cash all the time. On campus, that jihadi wields a lot of power and fear. Allowed to run rampant on a "protected public space". It's a a matter of perspective. She infects very pliant mushy minds with her hate. Who then buy the entire baloney about Jews and Israeli "apartheid" and never understand the issues. If you understand the issues -- you would THINK there would enough perspective NOT to get gathered up with EITHER RADICAL side.

Some fall into that trap because they are convinced they are supporting innocent underdogs.

If I was trying to be fair -- I'd look at it from BOTH sides. With a realistic perspective of potential threats and problems. And I wouldn't waste a moment trying to defend the indefensible.

As I told you -- it is especially important for Jews and "use to be Jews" to actually FIGHT against ugly generalizations and stereotypes and be SPECIFIC about pointing at threats. And not to succumb to identifying with an anti-Islam hysteria.

I thank God for rational Arab leadership whenever it appears. Instead of carpet bombing Muslim countries and disposing tyrants or playing semantics with a National "muslim ban" -- we should be ENGAGING rational foreign and domestic Islamic leadership and LISTENING to them and forging common ground. And at the same time, making it clear that America is NOT the place for folks who expect to import any part of the sick cultures that they were fleeing from..

Any reform has to come from within islam itself. It's not up to non-muslims

"If I was trying to be fair -- I'd look at it from BOTH sides. With a realistic perspective of potential threats and problems. And I wouldn't waste a moment trying to defend the indefensible."

In all seriousness, aren't you greatly exagerating here? This is a college student, who let herself get caught up in an argument with a master at antagonizing, and folks are treating her as if she were Hitler incarnate on a college campus because she naively supports "Justice for Palestinians". She's not that much different from earlier generations that took on voting rights and desegregation.

Ok - let's try to be fair. I watched the video. Did you read her rebuttal? So WHAT if she calls Israel Apartheid? It's inaccurate. But so are the frequent accusations of fascism and nazi that are thrown around like confetti. Too many people don't really know what those terms mean but - they're baaaaaaaaad. How many college students have an indepth and mature understanding of the issues? How many of them act on heart over head?

Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rolling high and mighty traps

Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
“We’ll meet on edges, soon,” said I
Proud beneath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
“Rip down all hate,” I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundation'd deep, somehow

What specifically makes this girl a Jihadi?

While true -- that's not the responsibility I was referring to. And I'm pretty sure you get it. We should NEVER let stereotyping hysterics get out of control... Because we know the consequences. That's OUR responsibility.

It's a lot more work than simply joining in with the polarization and the anger and the hate. Islamic communities aren't gonna do jack shit if they are being UNFAIRLY targeted.

So -- if it's more than a sound bite or a tweet to explain why you defend legitimate practice of Islam, and favor EXPANDING relations with moderate Muslims and Arabs -- but have identified a SIGNIFICANT threat from Islam at the same time and want to stomp it out ---- It's a much longer and harder story to sell..

"If I was trying to be fair -- I'd look at it from BOTH sides. With a realistic perspective of potential threats and problems. And I wouldn't waste a moment trying to defend the indefensible."

In all seriousness, aren't you greatly exagerating here? This is a college student, who let herself get caught up in an argument with a master at antagonizing, and folks are treating her as if she were Hitler incarnate on a college campus because she naively supports "Justice for Palestinians". She's not that much different from earlier generations that took on voting rights and desegregation.

Ok - let's try to be fair. I watched the video. Did you read her rebuttal? So WHAT if she calls Israel Apartheid? It's inaccurate. But so are the frequent accusations of fascism and nazi that are thrown around like confetti. Too many people don't really know what those terms mean but - they're baaaaaaaaad. How many college students have an indepth and mature understanding of the issues? How many of them act on heart over head?

Using ideas as my maps

If you STILL didn't read or understand my complaint about her sarcasm -- or you think acknowledging her desire to exterminate Jews doesn't matter. I can't reach you and won't even try..

"I'm a Jew the head of Hazbollah has said that he hopes The Jews would gather in Israel, so that he doesn't have to hunt us down globally"....FOR IT!!...OR AGAINST IT?..Her answer,...For it...Case closed CAIR girl:slap:

Without hesitation I might add...

Using ideas as my maps

If you STILL didn't read or understand my complaint about her sarcasm -- or you think acknowledging her desire to exterminate Jews doesn't matter. I can't reach you and won't even try..

I'm not saying it "doesn't matter" - but what did she really mean and did she really mean it? Her rebuttal said differently and was expressed in far more depth then an angry session on the video. Do you take just one, or do you accept both and form a judgement? You don't complain about Horowitz calling them "Hitler Youth" but she is sarcastic back to him and penalized for it?

While true -- that's not the responsibility I was referring to. And I'm pretty sure you get it. We should NEVER let stereotyping hysterics get out of control... Because we know the consequences. That's OUR responsibility.

It's a lot more work than simply joining in with the polarization and the anger and the hate. Islamic communities aren't gonna do jack shit if they are being UNFAIRLY targeted.

So -- if it's more than a sound bite or a tweet to explain why you defend legitimate practice of Islam, and favor EXPANDING relations with moderate Muslims and Arabs -- but have identified a SIGNIFICANT threat from Islam at the same time and want to stomp it out ---- It's a much longer and harder story to sell..

Sorry I didn't mean to stereo type those collage students yelling out "we support the intifida "or the girl wanting all Jews "hunted down" and killed..My mistake:eusa_doh:

"I'm a Jew the head of Hazbollah has said that he hopes The Jews would gather in Israel, so that he doesn't have to hunt us down globally"....FOR IT!!...OR AGAINST IT?..Her answer,...For it...Case closed CAIR girl:slap:

But Coyote STOPPED before that part of the recording. Only interested in "debunking" the Hitler Youth Week. Which is why she thinks I'm just ranting and making shit up about "EVERY week being Hitler Youth Week with her on campus".. And being a jerk for TRYING to get her to watch that exchange. Apparently -- there is no interest in a COMPLETE picture of that "harmless, misunderstood little coed"..

Using ideas as my maps

I'm not saying it "doesn't matter" - but what did she really mean and did she really mean it? Her rebuttal said differently and was expressed in far more depth then an angry session on the video. Do you take just one, or do you accept both and form a judgement? You don't complain about Horowitz calling them "Hitler Youth" but she is sarcastic back to him and penalized for it?

She NEVER retracted her commitment to supporting that Hamas statement that Jew should be encouraged to gather in Israel so that the extermination could be made easier.. The fact that you are defending this "harmless tortured little coed" is beyond reasonable.

I'm out...

I agree. Yet isn't referring to this girl as a jihadist doing just that?

I agree with that.

Using ideas as my maps

CAIR girl knows what she really meant..Not what she said, but what she meant :eusa_wall:

But Coyote STOPPED before that part of the recording. Only interested in "debunking" the Hitler Youth Week. Which is why she thinks I'm just ranting and making shit up about "EVERY week being Hitler Youth Week with her on campus".. And being a jerk for TRYING to get her to watch that exchange. Apparently -- there is no interest in a COMPLETE picture of that "harmless, misunderstood little coed"..

Ok. I'll listen to the whole exchange.

Will you read her rebuttal (and get a COMPLETE picture) with an equally open mind or...is that asking too much?

Ok. I'll listen to the whole exchange.

Will you read her rebuttal (and get a COMPLETE picture) with an equally open mind or...is that asking too much?

She's rebutting herself? :uhh:

Using ideas as my maps

She NEVER retracted her commitment to supporting that Hamas statement that Jew should be encouraged to gather in Israel so that the extermination could be made easier.. The fact that you are defending this "harmless tortured little coed" is beyond reasonable.

I'm out...

Allow me to begin by stating that I do NOT condone murder, I do NOT condone genocide, and I do NOT condone racism under any circumstance whatsoever against Jews or anyone else. These accusations are lies that I refuse to allow David Horowitz and his allies to perpetuate in their irresponsible and hateful smear campaign against those who disagree with or differ from them.

On April 19, 2010 I volunteered to speak at the Racism/Genocide Holocaust Event last April only because of my strong convictions against genocide like the Holocaust. I was there every step of the way during the protests denouncing racism on campus last quarter—from the very beginning to the very end. Never have I uttered a negative syllable towards or about any person because of their ethnicity or religion on campus or otherwise, Jewish or otherwise. Regardless of my participation in these events, for Mr. Horowitz to insinuate that I am anti-Semitic is ridiculous; I am a Semite.

Forum List

Back