Is Unforgiven a masterpiece??

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Just saw it and it I think its great

The themes are complex and they tend to be more realistic then any western movie ever

After viewing it : few thoughts

1) The movie really explores the ugly side of the realty of violence vs it being like John wick

William is utterly traumatized from his past and cannot escape it .
Also the themes of friendship, revenge , redemption

The movie blurs the lines of good vs bad .
William is a monster who has killed women
and children. There is zero anything heroic about him .
This is probably the realty of the old west .

Even the deaths seem cruel and unnecessary?
Sniping at long range and killing a man on the toilet .

The themes are complex and they tend to be more realistic then any western movie ever

1) The movie really explores the ugly side of the realty of violence vs it being like John wick

Classic anti-hero.

It's a good movie that illustrates the shades of gray in the real world rather than the simplistic black and white.

You have the "good guy" Gene Hackman who is really a sadistic and violent asshole and you have the "bad guy" who is regretful of his old ways and reticent to go back to them.

The ultimate modern anti-hero movie. They are all bad guys and whores. The sheriff is a sadist. The movie is best taken at face value without reading any psychological bullshit into it.

One of Clint's finer performances, imo. An anti- anti-hero dealing with a damnable past, the memory of a good woman loved, raising children in the old west, and the need for money. That's a story line for so many of us.

Forum List

Back