Is this the most unfair tax on record

should tips be taxed?

• yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • no

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tips are not gifts. It is an expected wage. Good service should get 20%, this isn't France. Don't forget most waiters have to pay the House a certain % of their sales too.

When you get our invoice at a restraint and you add a little tip which you think is going to the waitress's in Texas your are wrong. The tip is taxed and as small as the tip may have been he or she will get even less.

TIPS SHOULD NOT BE TAXED !!!
Please vote below----
Don't worry--they only claim tips to bring them up to minimum wage. The rest they just put in their pocket. At least, that's how I always did it.

We had to declare at least 8% of our sales unless CC tips exceeded that amount. Minus tip pool of course.

You guys realize that wait staff generally only get about 3.00/hr, right?

Most staff in restaurants and bars rely on customers giving them something extra because yes they get crap wages to begin with.

Actually, because tips are allowed in those jobs, the employers are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage. I remember working in a bar for a couple of years and was getting paid only 5.00 when minimum was 7.25 because the owner said I would make it up in tips. And, they are legally allowed to do that.

I can also tell you that when I was working as a bartender, I'd average probably 30 to 40 bucks a night in tips over a 7 hour shift. Yeah, the tips made up quite a bit of the income I got from that place.

When you get our invoice at a restraint and you add a little tip which you think is going to the waitress's in Texas your are wrong. The tip is taxed and as small as the tip may have been he or she will get even less.

Please vote below----
Income is income.

All income in any form including welfare should be taxed! A fair flat tax is what this country needs!

Please vote below----
Well, speaking for myself, the "little" tip I last left when I ate out in Texas, the tip was just shy of $60, though ~$40, give or take, is more typical of the tip I leave. Assuming most other diners at the same eateries I patronize tip about the same as I do and, as I most often do, dine with one other person, I would think, assuming a 5 pm to 10 pm dinner shift and assuming a waiter serves five tables that turn twice during the dinner hour, nets to, after sharing a portion of their tip with the other house staff, at least $200 a night. (FWIW, I generally tip between 20% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. I can't recall when I last ate at a "tipping" restaurant and received such poor service that I tipped less than 20%.)

While $200/night isn't "rolling in it," whether any earnings are or are not taxed has to do with whether they, for the tax year, sum to enough to be taxable. Tip income is no different than any other kind of income.

Maybe a tip is a gift in theory, but in practicality I am paying for a service rendered unto me.

You paid for the service when you paid your bill. You can then leave and owe no one. "Bill Paid". Should you decide to add a little as a "tip" it is a gift not an obligation.

Gifts should NOT be taxed which takes away from an already small amount.

The wife and I go to dinner, dinner and a couple drinks each runs about $100, server get $15-$25 dollar tip depending on service..,.,

The falicy in your statement is simple enough, you "think" the waitress is getting the "$15-$25 dollar tip".

You are just plain old wrong

I can also tell you that when I was working as a bartender, I'd average probably 30 to 40 bucks a night in tips over a 7 hour shift. Yeah, the tips made up quite a bit of the income I got from that place.

Did you report the tip income and was the tip taxed?

I voted no since no wages should ever be taxed. If any are, then taxes should be taxed as income, just like any and all income is.

A tip is not a wage. It is a gift and as a gift it should NOT be taxed.

Thanks for voting no, tips should not be taxed

But it is a wage. You go to earn money and tips are part of that. People don't tip to say thank you, they tip because they feel they have to.

I remember working in a bar for a couple of years and was getting paid only 5.00 when minimum was 7.25 because the owner said I would make it up in tips. And, they are legally allowed to do that.[/QUOTE]

Not in the USA

Please vote below----

Why shouldn't waiters and waitresses pay taxes like the rest of us?

Please vote below----

Screw waiters . They are the biggest leeches on society . They avoid taxes , and because they get paid cash they are “paper poor” and then qualify for all kinds of state benefits.

It’s a scam .

Please vote below----
Don't worry--they only claim tips to bring them up to minimum wage. The rest they just put in their pocket. At least, that's how I always did it.
These days, most tips are on a credit card receipt. The business owners deducts your taxes before you ever receive the tip money.

Most staff in restaurants and bars rely on customers giving them something extra because yes they get crap wages to begin with.

Actually, because tips are allowed in those jobs, the employers are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage. I remember working in a bar for a couple of years and was getting paid only 5.00 when minimum was 7.25 because the owner said I would make it up in tips. And, they are legally allowed to do that.
because tips are allowed in those jobs, the employers are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage. I remember working in a bar for a couple of years and was getting paid only 5.00 when minimum was 7.25 because the owner said I would make it up in tips. And, they are legally allowed to do that.
because tips are allowed in those jobs, the employers are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage...

Though I don't object to tip income being taxed, I do object to employers being able to pay wait staff less than minimum wage. When employers incorporate a tip assumption into their calculation of the waiter's wages, they necessarily assume too that tips are not gratuities, but rather wages, even though unlike employee wages for non-tip jobs there is nothing certain about the tip income wait staff may earn.

I don't mind that employers want to rather directly pass the wage burden to diners; however, if they are going to do that, I think that, as is done in Europe, the tip should be automatically included in the bill, thereby requiring customers who are dissatisfied with the service they received to speak to the maitre'd/manager to have it removed/reduced. (I also like that that approach fairly effectively ensures between proprietors/managers germane and timely communication of the quality of waiter performance.)

Moreover, the notion that the customer directly is paying for the service they receive from a service provider, in this case a waiter, aligns with the business model of the provider being self-employed, not an employee. Clearly, waiters are not self-employed, for were they, they could set their own prices for the service they render, and that is not something waiters can do. Accordingly, employers should be required to pay them at least minimum wage because waiters are employees, not independent contractors working in the restaurant.

because tips are allowed in those jobs, the employers are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage. I remember working in a bar for a couple of years and was getting paid only 5.00 when minimum was 7.25 because the owner said I would make it up in tips. And, they are legally allowed to do that.
because tips are allowed in those jobs, the employers are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage...

Though I don't object to tip income being taxed, I do object to employers being able to pay wait staff less than minimum wage. When employers incorporate a tip assumption into their calculation of the waiter's wages, they necessarily assume too that tips are not gratuities, but rather wages, even though unlike employee wages for non-tip jobs there is nothing certain about the tip income wait staff may earn.

I don't mind that employers want to rather directly pass the wage burden to diners; however, if they are going to do that, I think that, as is done in Europe, the tip should be automatically included in the bill, thereby requiring customers who are dissatisfied with the service they received to speak to the maitre'd/manager to have it removed/reduced. (I also like that that approach fairly effectively ensures between proprietors/managers germane and timely communication of the quality of waiter performance.)

Moreover, the notion that the customer directly is paying for the service they receive from a service provider, in this case a waiter, aligns with the business model of the provider being self-employed, not an employee. Clearly, waiters are not self-employed, for were they, they could set their own prices for the service they render, and that is not something waiters can do. Accordingly, employers should be required to pay them at least minimum wage because waiters are employees, not independent contractors working in the restaurant.

What they do in Europe defeats the whole point of tips.

Forum List

Back