Is this atmosphere of hate corrupting our youth?

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
Kids are very observant and pick up a lot of things from their parents from cussing to smoking. I see all of this virulent hate between Republicans and Democrats and can't help but wonder how much our children are learning to hate fellow Americans. We used to be able to have disourse and disagreement and shake hands and be friends afterwards. Yet today I do not see this. So what are we teaching our children? Are we going to have a generation of Americans filled with hate?

Kids are very observant and pick up a lot of things from their parents from cussing to smoking. I see all of this virulent hate between Republicans and Democrats and can't help but wonder how much our children are learning to hate fellow Americans. We used to be able to have disourse and disagreement and shake hands and be friends afterwards. Yet today I do not see this. So what are we teaching our children? Are we going to have a generation of Americans filled with hate?
Why does this necessarily have to be an issue of politics?

Why not ask angry, misogynist, violence-glorifying dirtbags, like about 99% of rappers?

Why not ask angry, misogynist, violence-glorifying dirtbags, like about 99% of rappers?

It is not just an issue of politics but an overall theme. Politics are just one area. But what we do as adults have an influence on our children and if they see their dads or moms saying that someone should be beat down because they disagree with them, what does this teach them?

Ask the video game industry.

It is not just an issue of politics but an overall theme. Politics are just one area. But what we do as adults have an influence on our children and if they see their dads or moms saying that someone should be beat down because they disagree with them, what does this teach them?
What about dads and moms who allow their kids to listen to the auditory raw sewage known as rap "music", or play video games like "Grand Theft Auto"?

What could the parent say or do that stoops to the horrid violent examples that those vehicles provide?

The hate in politics affecting the children?

Only inasmuch as their teachers and parents are brainwashing them one way or another. Kids don't give a shit about politics. Even college students don't give much of a shit unless they've been raised in a political environment by their family or church or school. They are more influenced by American Idol or Halo: Reach and Yu-Gi-Oh! than they are the Giffords assassination attempt.

With children, the bigger threats are the hypersexualization of their youth, exposure to moral corruption, gang violence and drugs. Politics really are a trifling unless someone is actively corrupting their minds... which is usually leftist activists abuse their position and masquerade as 'neutral moderate' teachers. that's the political hatemongers you need to worry about when it comes to your children.

Last edited:
Exactly. The only mention of politics I've ever heard in the classroom this year was that Sarah Palins Alaska was a good show. The hunters and fishermen respect her skills in the woods. That's it. Rap, video games, and who has what pierced where concerns them more. Kids don't give a rats ass about politics. I didn't at that age.

I suppose the question to be asked is why oddude picks on "rap music" and the Video game industry. Kids are influenced by many many things, why wouldn't oddude choose to remark on advertising and the industries which push alcohol, tobacco, sex and prescribed drugs on kids?
Aren't rap muscians and video game producers as well as Wall Street Advertising firms simply following the principles of lassiez faire capitalism so strongly supported by Oddude and the echo chamber?

I chose two examples of ubiquitous pop culture, not the only negative influences, Danny Vermin.

Now, go get your electro-shock therapy.

Sure you did. So rap music and video games influence kids, but the hate and fear which floods the airways from the mouths of Limbaugh and Hannity, Savage and Levin are harmless? Not worth mentioning?
Why not be honest, at least to yourself, and acknowledge you mentioned two ubiquitous examples but ignored others, and in particular those which are as prevalent in our culture.

You might also mention why the market has not regulated rap music, or baggy pants or violent video games - isn't the market the cure for all of society's ills?

Can you honestly deny that the glorification of the Second Amendment hasn't influenced a generation of young men and women? You suggest the glorification of guns in Rap and video games has this impact, don't you?

What of advertsing which pushes drugs on TV commercials, isn't that as extensive as the glorification of drugs in rap music?

Thanks for sharing oddude, it is nice to see you always default to an ad hominem attack; the last and final refuge of the ignorant.

You'll also notice that I included the parents in this, as the topic involves minor children.

The purveyors of that swill can market that crap all they want. But if the parents don't interject themselves and set some standards of propriety in their own homes, then they're just punting to pop culture.

Then again, I'm not the one here trying to pin the blame for the actions of screwball people on said pop culture, capitalism, subliminal advertising, George BOOOOOOSH or other outside influences.

You'll also notice that I included the parents in this, as the topic involves minor children.

The purveyors of that swill can market that crap all they want. But if the parents don't interject themselves and set some standards of propriety in their own homes, then they're just punting to pop culture.

Then again, I'm not the one here trying to pin the blame for the actions of screwball people on said pop culture, capitalism, subliminal advertising, George BOOOOOOSH or other outside influences.

No your not; you're blaming parents. Easy to point fingers isn't it? To bad you've never learned or lack the ability to think critically. Sad really, I do pity you.

Consider parenting. Who do we expect to teach parenting? Think really hard now oddude, you can do it.
Consider the various circumstances under which females become pregnant;
Consider the influence of domestic violence and how power and control impact children and parenting;
Consider how new parents have learned how to parent;

You really seem to lack the ability to define a problem yet are quick to offer solutons. That is a common characteristic of those on the right. Simple solutions to complex problems.

Postscript: Oddude loves to pontificate, actually debate not so much.

Last edited:
I guess violent imagery does matter

It matters a great deal.

No your not; you're blaming parents. Easy to point fingers isn't it? To bad you've never learned or lack the ability to think critically. Sad really, I do pity you.

Consider parenting. Who do we expect to teach parenting? Think really hard now oddude, you can do it.
Consider the influence of domestic violence and how power and control impact children and parenting;

You really seem to lack the ability to define a problem yet are quick to offer solutons. That is a common characteristic of those on the right. Simple solutions to complex problems.

Children have parents to teach them boundaries and behavior that will serve them well as adults. Children actually DO like boundaries contrary to what some "experts" claim. Parenting - attitudes, behaviors, customs, etc. is something that's passed on from one generation to the next. Parents tend to bring with them lessons from their own parents and meld them with the lessons their spouse learned from his or her parent. There's no particular book to which to refer - and children don't come with manuals.

There are lots of circumstances by which females get pregnant - not the least of which is unbridled promiscuity that is shoved on them as "acceptable behavior." Parents don't have too much control over whether their child has an abortion - the law says they do not have to be informed if their minor child has an abortion.

Oddball is right - he only cited two examples of things that play into a child's behavior. Someone also brought up politics. Sometimes laws interfere with good parenting. There's a whole lot of stuff that influences children and parents should shield their children from things they feel are a bad influence.

I guess violent imagery does matter

It matters a great deal.

Children have parents to teach them boundaries and behavior that will serve them well as adults. Children actually DO like boundaries contrary to what some "experts" claim. Parenting - attitudes, behaviors, customs, etc. is something that's passed on from one generation to the next. Parents tend to bring with them lessons from their own parents and meld them with the lessons their spouse learned from his or her parent. There's no particular book to which to refer - and children don't come with manuals.

There are lots of circumstances by which females get pregnant - not the least of which is unbridled promiscuity that is shoved on them as "acceptable behavior." Parents don't have too much control over whether their child has an abortion - the law says they do not have to be informed if their minor child has an abortion.

Oddball is right - he only cited two examples of things that play into a child's behavior. Someone also brought up politics. Sometimes laws interfere with good parenting. There's a whole lot of stuff that influences children and parents should shield their children from things they feel are a bad influence.

And you too are blaming parents, and now the government. Pointing fingers, placing blame does not get to an understanding of the problem. You missed the point entirely.

Compared to how things were in the 70's when I first became aware, politics are a marvel of cleanliness, comity, good manners and solicitude. And back then was a whole lot better than in my parents day.

You read about how things were in the early days of the republic, and you marvel how we managed to keep the thing going for 230 years. Of course, there was that civil war. only one so far though.

As for corrupting our youth, that kind of talk was specious 2400 years ago when they used that charge on Socrates.

Compared to how things were in the 70's when I first became aware, politics are a marvel of cleanliness, comity, good manners and solicitude. And back then was a whole lot better than in my parents day.

You read about how things were in the early days of the republic, and you marvel how we managed to keep the thing going for 230 years. Of course, there was that civil war. only one so far though.

As for corrupting our youth, that kind of talk was specious 2400 years ago when they used that charge on Socrates.

Interesting post. Would you like to explain how Socrates handled the allegations juxtaposed with how Sarah Palin handled the allegtions?

Forum List

Back