Is this atmosphere of hate corrupting our youth?

I think the Republicans "War on Education" will hurt youth more than their "War on the Middle Class" or their "War on Science" or even their "Policy of Hate".

Kids are very observant and pick up a lot of things from their parents from cussing to smoking. I see all of this virulent hate between Republicans and Democrats and can't help but wonder how much our children are learning to hate fellow Americans. We used to be able to have disourse and disagreement and shake hands and be friends afterwards. Yet today I do not see this. So what are we teaching our children? Are we going to have a generation of Americans filled with hate?

Geeze! I had a well thought out post blow up and disperse into cyberspace. So I will just answer yes to all the above. :eusa_angel:

If parents keep Fox, talk radio, etc on a lot with children around some of the fear and hate mongering has to soak in.
They pick up more than one might think.

Kids are very observant and pick up a lot of things from their parents from cussing to smoking. I see all of this virulent hate between Republicans and Democrats and can't help but wonder how much our children are learning to hate fellow Americans. We used to be able to have disourse and disagreement and shake hands and be friends afterwards. Yet today I do not see this. So what are we teaching our children? Are we going to have a generation of Americans filled with hate?

Vote or die.

If parents keep Fox, talk radio, etc on a lot with children around some of the fear and hate mongering has to soak in.
They pick up more than one might think.

vote_or_die.jpg

I guess violent imagery does matter

It matters a great deal.

No your not; you're blaming parents. Easy to point fingers isn't it? To bad you've never learned or lack the ability to think critically. Sad really, I do pity you.

Consider parenting. Who do we expect to teach parenting? Think really hard now oddude, you can do it.
Consider the various circumstances under which females become pregnant;
Consider the influence of domestic violence and how power and control impact children and parenting;
Consider how new parents have learned how to parent;

You really seem to lack the ability to define a problem yet are quick to offer solutons. That is a common characteristic of those on the right. Simple solutions to complex problems.

Children have parents to teach them boundaries and behavior that will serve them well as adults. Children actually DO like boundaries contrary to what some "experts" claim. Parenting - attitudes, behaviors, customs, etc. is something that's passed on from one generation to the next. Parents tend to bring with them lessons from their own parents and meld them with the lessons their spouse learned from his or her parent. There's no particular book to which to refer - and children don't come with manuals.

There are lots of circumstances by which females get pregnant - not the least of which is unbridled promiscuity that is shoved on them as "acceptable behavior." Parents don't have too much control over whether their child has an abortion - the law says they do not have to be informed if their minor child has an abortion.

Oddball is right - he only cited two examples of things that play into a child's behavior. Someone also brought up politics. Sometimes laws interfere with good parenting. There's a whole lot of stuff that influences children and parents should shield their children from things they feel are a bad influence.

And you too are blaming parents, and now the government. Pointing fingers, placing blame does not get to an understanding of the problem. You missed the point entirely.

Exactly what is the point? That no person, no thing, no opinion, no game, no movie or anything else should be blamed for anything that has to do with the undoing of our children?

I haven't blamed parents for anything but, yes, I do blame some of our laws that impede parents from exercising any kind of control or say-so in how their children are raised and/or educated and what they are and are not allowed to do, say, think or how they should act in the best interests of their children - in good part, we can blame the ACLU for some of this cockeyed shit.

Forum List

Back