Is there an abstinence syndrome after opiates?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
It is generally accepted that opiates have a withdrawal syndrome, even more severe than that of alcoholics. But I've never seen heroin addicts have anything as bad as alcohol delirium tremens.

I have a friend who used to use a lot of opiates (mostly homemade heroin from raw opium), he said that he never had an abstinence syndrome and never even got sick the day after he took a dose.

Is there anyone here who could confirm or deny this based on their own experience?

I'm an alcoholic, been sober 12 yrs and went through a residential treatment program a few years back. The counselors were real pros and mine was fond of telling our group gatherings that opioid withdrawal makes the addict "feel like they will die". He'd then pause for just a moment and say "but stop cold when you've built a huge tolerance level with drinking, and the chances are quite good that you WILL DIE".

Generally, death is a result of seizures.

• Banned
I'm an alcoholic, been sober 12 yrs and went through a residential treatment program a few years back. The counselors were real pros and mine was fond of telling our group gatherings that opioid withdrawal makes the addict "feel like they will die". He'd then pause for just a moment and say "but stop cold when you've built a huge tolerance level with drinking, and the chances are quite good that you WILL DIE".

Generally, death is a result of seizures.
In other words, he said that opiate addicts do not have any withdrawal symptoms, except for sintementality?

In other words, he said that opiate addicts do not have any withdrawal symptoms, except for sintementality?
What on earth is this word ?
And I doubt that sentimentality applies in any accurate medical diegnosis , in the context of this thread .

• Banned
What on earth is this word ?
And I doubt that sentimentality applies in any accurate medical diegnosis , in the context of this thread .
when a person thinks he is going to die, what is it called? What is related to feelings and emotions?

Forum List

Back