Is there a courtyard songs in the US?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
In Russia there is such a genre, one might say. This is not a well-defined concept, but I would define it as a youthful naive romance with a guitar, lyrical and syntemmental melodies. There are songs that have been transmitted from generation to generation, and it always sounded relevant. There are usually naive lyrics related to love or a difficult fate, and touching naive music, not very difficult.

I think this is not just a spontaneous performance. This probably comes from a hussar romance.

The authorship of the songs is usually not known.

I will show you some examples of such music.

If there is something like that, I would like to look at it. Maybe some kind of country music in modern arrangements?
Or maybe someone will post such music from his country if he is not from the USA

Last edited:
  • Banned
There used to be such a genre of "cruel romance". Almost nothing is known about it now, apparently it was completely destroyed by the Bolsheviks. I think it comes from there

• Banned
Yup. It's called "country".
In general, as far as folk music is concerned, this is a very confusing question for Russia. At least it breaks down into 2 main parts: the steppe war song and the song of the peasant foresters of the northwest of Russia, "Moscow song". In fact, this is completely different music, which they have been trying to cross for about a hundred years.

Peasant music is in many ways vulgar and cheerful, steppe music is almost a hundred percent lyric and tragic.

• Banned
In the steppe folk songs, there is no vulgarity at all. It are either majestic or tragic

I think that something similar should be for the United States, the difference between the English east and the cowboy west

Yup. It's called "country".
Maybe it can be called folk music, but in the literal sense of the word, as the music of a part of the people, not processed by officials of the department of Culture and not necessarily related to the past. Live folk music.
In fact, no one perceives this music in Russia as folk music in the generally accepted sense of the word.

Last edited:
I like American country music, it is kind and light, but if you compare it with Russian courtyard music, it is very different. It lacks some kind of heartbreaking minority. It is difficult to describe, but the rusian courtyard music sounds more syntemalous and tragic. This closer to hussar romance like this one.

Especially like this.

The gussar ballad only has less dynamics and drive. If we add more fighting games there and simplify the lyrics, we will probably get just a courtyard song

Forum List

Back