Is the golden age of television over already?

I watch old movies I don't care much for 99% of TV and I've been that way since the early 1980's. I also watch a lot of science and history shows produced online.
I watch mountain men, it’s always sunny in Philadelphia, wwe, blackish and cowboy westerns. I wish there was a good cowboy western channel where I could see movies I’ve never seen before because it seems like everything on cable, I’ve already seen. I’d love an all cowboy western channel that played everything old and new.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...because I can't find anything worth watching.

The Boys season one wasn't bad, and I had high hopes...but season two went directly off the rails.

I believe that was the last new show I tried.

I rewatch NCIS, Lost, BSG, Dark Matter, Castle, Firefly, The Expanse, Sherlock, might start TWD again...although I never finished it.

I used to wonder why my folks watched old B&W episodes of The Rifleman and Bonanza...but I think I get it now.

Perhaps as I age out of the Key Demographic...shows just don't resonate with me anymore.

Anyone else noticing this?

If not...what are you watching?

I long noticed it, the decline in creative writing is everywhere.

The Movies are not so good either with numerous repeats of the first movies. Do you really want to watch 8 versions of Fast and furious, which are for the most part tabloid material.

I watch mostly Discovery, History and National Geographic channels with some sports, the rest I ignore most of the time, avoid the "news" reporting channels entirely.

Now considering dropping TV completely, have to work on moving into a homesteading set up in the next couple years.
Tell us more about the homesteading

I think the most recent TV show I really liked was "The Big Bang Theory." After that, television seems to have finally and completely jumped the shark.
That show was ok for a minute but I don’t see why s9me people love it so much. It jumped the shark when the nerd got penny. They should have never hooked up. Will they won’t they Is best.

Same with Fraser. It was good but I didnt love it.

Same with how I met your mother.

The only shows still in production that I care for are Blue Bloods, Young Sheldon, and Last Man Standing which is said to be in its last season already.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, the best ever comedy is Perfect Strangers and the best ever drama is the A&E network show named The Glades.
I can’t watch any more singing competitions. I also can’t watch big brother or survivor. I can’t watch dancing with the stars or so you think you can dance. I can’t watch who wants to be a millionaire. I can’t watch the bachelor or bachelorette

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...because I can't find anything worth watching.

The Boys season one wasn't bad, and I had high hopes...but season two went directly off the rails.

I rewatch NCIS, Lost, BSG, Dark Matter, Castle, Firefly, The Expanse, Sherlock, might start TWD again...although I never finished it.

I used to wonder why my folks watched old B&W episodes of The Rifleman and Bonanza...but I think I get it now.

Perhaps as I age out of the Key Demographic...shows just don't resonate with me anymore.

I'm watching nothing, because TV is nothing. A Bernaysian system of mass mind control with no redeeming social value and no inherent potential. It sits the viewer down in a totally passive position, takes over all of the senses and dick-tates its story/propaganda, in a fake two-dimensional scripted artificial envirionment, and it does so just so it can hypnotize its victim into ingesting advertising, which is the practice of persuading people to buy shit they don't need. And that's literally all it is. An advertising/propaganda gimmick.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV and instead of joining them, watch the watchers. Sitting still, like zombies, obediently taking in whatever the telescreen dick-tates, with no input at all. Sponges. Just what the telescreen wants.

So there is no "golden age" possible. The phrase "vast wasteland" was coined exactly sixty years ago, it was as true then as it is now. There's a nostalgia to anything that ages, even negative things, and that's as close as "golden age" gets.

Kill your TV. No negotiation, no exceptions, no argument. Just kill it. Strangle it by the cable until it is dead, dead, dead.
Was family life better before tv and radio? What the hell did people do?

Get him from school, do homework, go hang out with friends till dark and go home and talk to family for an hour before you all went to bed.

Or as an adult man, go to work, come home read paper, eat dinner, hang with wife while kids are out playing, talk to kids for an hour then go to bed.

Women would clean house, gossip with neighbors, get dinner ready, run errands, wait for family to get home.

Im glad I have tv.

I'm watching nothing, because TV is nothing. A Bernaysian system of mass mind control with no redeeming social value and no inherent potential. It sits the viewer down in a totally passive position, takes over all of the senses and dick-tates its story/propaganda, in a fake two-dimensional scripted artificial envirionment, and it does so just so it can hypnotize its victim into ingesting advertising, which is the practice of persuading people to buy shit they don't need. And that's literally all it is. An advertising/propaganda gimmick.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV and instead of joining them, watch the watchers. Sitting still, like zombies, obediently taking in whatever the telescreen dick-tates, with no input at all. Sponges. Just what the telescreen wants.

So there is no "golden age" possible. The phrase "vast wasteland" was coined exactly sixty years ago, it was as true then as it is now. There's a nostalgia to anything that ages, even negative things, and that's as close as "golden age" gets.

Kill your TV. No negotiation, no exceptions, no argument. Just kill it. Strangle it by the cable until it is dead, dead, dead.

Get him from school, do homework, go hang out with friends till dark and go home and talk to family for an hour before you all went to bed.

Or as an adult man, go to work, come home read paper, eat dinner, hang with wife while kids are out playing, talk to kids for an hour then go to bed.

Women would clean house, gossip with neighbors, get dinner ready, run errands, wait for family to get home.

Im glad I have tv.

Whoa whoa WHOA. I didn't bring up radio. If I had it would have been to point out that radio is, and always has been, inherently superior to TV. They're not in the same ballpark at all because of how they work.

You don't watch radio, so you're free to do whatever you want including all those chores listed above, or to do nothing. And because it's not dick-tating every sense including what the set looks like, including what the characters look like, it FREES the imagination. The setting looks like whatever you want it to look like, the character looks like whatever you imagine him or her to be.

I'm a baseball fan and I'd rather follow the game on radio than TV any day. That's also why they put the better announcers on the radio side.

Television on the other hand shuts that down completely. Puts the brain to sleep. And you can't even move around because you have to watch. You become an obedient, passive sponge.

And yes, all those other older activities listed --- especially playing, and whatever other creative activities might interest one ---- the stuff we don't do because we're watching TV --- is also imagination exercise, and imagination exercise is never a bad thing. Shutting it down though, is.

Ah for the good old days of radio when baseball games ere not broad "live" - rather by "telegraphic recreation". Took a good announcer to work that.....some could "read" Morse code...others read from ticker tape or teletype and filled in with sound effects.

I never had to do that. When I started in radio the local station paid for Johnny Most's live coverage of Boston Celtics basketball (received off a Boston FM station) but wouldn't pay for his voice on the pre-game show. So it was my job to listen to Johnny on a pair of 'phones and repeat him word for word. Sometimes it was possible to correct his mispronounciations of place names but every now and then some of his "less fortunate" comments got covered by silence.

Technical aside: An early FM station was established on Mount Washington, New Hampshire for the primary purpose of relaying newscasts and programming of the (long gone) Mutual Radio Network. The regional service was called "The Yankee Network" - based out of the studios of WNAC in Boston. FM in those days was on a lower set of frequencies than today and the coverage was far beter.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...
With news channels pumping out everything negative as they can get negative, sitcoms about as humorous as a truck load of burnt babies, science shows skewed to left wing global warming/climate change kookology, human relationship shows that are fast tracked to racism, riots, wars, death & destruction like who wants to watch downer/bummer television shows anymore?

Even the commercials are bad. Some channels all they have is commercials on IRS collection, illness, suing the boy scouts, and debt. Entertainment went from good humored, well-intended, kindly Johnny Carson friend to all,

johnny-and-ed.jpg

to the likes of pig snot, Stephen Colbert who "entertains" us by taking himself far too serious ranting on the evils of Trump, conservatism and generally insulting half the nation while thinking it funny. And NBC approves.

rs-245127-colbert.jpg

This is why television is dying. It is being killed off like everything good, by progressives.

I bought a dvd player and am busy collecting that which I enjoyed in years past. Nowadays? No thanks. I do like Dr Pol and vet shows, and of course BBC Animal Planet with Attenborough, Frasier, Golden Girls, Carol Burnett Show, and stuff like that. So when I find such items in dvd...I buy it.

I think most shows these days just suck. No real plots, just stupidity. I enjoy old shows like the golden girls, empty nest if i can find it, chips, knight rider, airwolf, all in the family, dukes, andy griffith, etc.

The only shows I watch that are modern are wheel of fortune and how its made on the science channel.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...
With news channels pumping out everything negative as they can get negative, sitcoms about as humorous as a truck load of burnt babies, science shows skewed to left wing global warming/climate change kookology, human relationship shows that are fast tracked to racism, riots, wars, death & destruction like who wants to watch downer/bummer television shows anymore?

Even the commercials are bad. Some channels all they have is commercials on IRS collection, illness, suing the boy scouts, and debt. Entertainment went from good humored, well-intended, kindly Johnny Carson friend to all,

View attachment 449520

to the likes of pig snot, Stephen Colbert who "entertains" us by taking himself far too serious ranting on the evils of Trump, conservatism and generally insulting half the nation while thinking it funny. And NBC approves.

View attachment 449521

This is why television is dying. It is being killed off like everything good, by progressives.
colbert is almost all hate, and it's not funny, it's scary

Streaming TV is the best.
You can watch what you want to watch when your want to watch it.
Hundreds of thousands of movies and TV shows to choose from.

Im glad I have tv.

Whoa whoa WHOA. I didn't bring up radio. If I had it would have been to point out that radio is, and always has been, inherently superior to TV. They're not in the same ballpark at all because of how they work.

You don't watch radio, so you're free to do whatever you want including all those chores listed above, or to do nothing. And because it's not dick-tating every sense including what the set looks like, including what the characters look like, it FREES the imagination. The setting looks like whatever you want it to look like, the character looks like whatever you imagine him or her to be.

I'm a baseball fan and I'd rather follow the game on radio than TV any day. That's also why they put the better announcers on the radio side.

Television on the other hand shuts that down completely. Puts the brain to sleep. And you can't even move around because you have to watch. You become an obedient, passive sponge.

And yes, all those other older activities listed --- especially playing, and whatever other creative activities might interest one ---- the stuff we don't do because we're watching TV --- is also imagination exercise, and imagination exercise is never a bad thing. Shutting it down though, is.

Amos and Andy
Lone Ranger
Gunsmoke
Fibber McGee and Molly

And my favorites of them all
The Shadow

Im glad I have tv.

Baseball might be a bad example. I know a lot of people who say they love having baseball on in the summer but they don’t watch. They just love hearing it in the background.

I live on a lake and have A pontoon boat. I love listening to tiger games on the radio.

You know what I used to listen to when I was a kid? Golden age of radio. They would play gunsmoke, the shadow, etc. I loved listening to those shows. serius radio has a channel where they play those old shows. If I drive four hours up north I listen to a few shows.

Im glad I have tv.

Amos and Andy
Lone Ranger
Gunsmoke
Fibber McGee and Molly

And my favorites of them all
The Shadow
Who knows what evil lurks in the hears of men? The shadow knows. (Evil laugh)

Boy what I would do with that superpower.

The only shows still in production that I care for are Blue Bloods, Young Sheldon, and Last Man Standing which is said to be in its last season already.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, the best ever comedy is Perfect Strangers and the best ever drama is the A&E network show named The Glades.
I can’t watch any more singing competitions. I also can’t watch big brother or survivor. I can’t watch dancing with the stars or so you think you can dance. I can’t watch who wants to be a millionaire. I can’t watch the bachelor or bachelorette
The only time that I really pay any attention to the reality/singing/dancing shows is when my favorite singers have anything to do with them. I would love to see Trace Adkins and Mark Miller of the band named Sawyer Brown do the Dancing With The Stars show, but I guess that them being on there may never happen due to how much time has to be available in order to do a show like that one.

God bless you and them and my other favorite singers who are still here always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of Trace)

Watch very little TV on the big 3 stations. Do like the Travel Channel and Discovery.
The last couple of years I have been spending a lot of time watching film noir on TCM.
I watch TCM what is film noir?
Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. The 1940s and 1950s are generally regarded as the "classic period" of American film noir. Wikipedia

Here's a few excellent examples

Forum List

Back