Is the golden age of television over already?

Prediction:

On her first day in office President Xarris will create by Executive Order a national home inspection force. Each home will be searched for DVDs, VHS tapes, Books (including comics) which the left deems dangerous. Superheroes? Gone. Politically incorrect characters (Snow White, Dwarves)÷ Removed and any children in the home confiscated "for their own protection from being taught racism, sexism or whatever "ism" is on the menu for the day. "Atlas Shurgged"? "1984"? Burned on the spot along with the home and everyone in it. Too dangerous to even move it outdoors even for minujtes.

Xiden? Oh they'll let him have whatever cartoons he wants in that cushioned little room. It'll keep him pacified.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...
With news channels pumping out everything negative as they can get negative, sitcoms about as humorous as a truck load of burnt babies, science shows skewed to left wing global warming/climate change kookology, human relationship shows that are fast tracked to racism, riots, wars, death & destruction like who wants to watch downer/bummer television shows anymore?

Even the commercials are bad. Some channels all they have is commercials on IRS collection, illness, suing the boy scouts, and debt. Entertainment went from good humored, well-intended, kindly Johnny Carson friend to all,

View attachment 449520

to the likes of pig snot, Stephen Colbert who "entertains" us by taking himself far too serious ranting on the evils of Trump, conservatism and generally insulting half the nation while thinking it funny. And NBC approves.

View attachment 449521

This is why television is dying. It is being killed off like everything good, by progressives.
colbert is almost all hate, and it's not funny, it's scary

I meant to say that while Carson was meant to NOT offend anyone, Colbert's (and the Left's in general) humor is MEANT to be mean-spirited, to harm the targets of their jokes and sarcasm. To project ill will.

Watch very little TV on the big 3 stations. Do like the Travel Channel and Discovery.
The last couple of years I have been spending a lot of time watching film noir on TCM.
I watch TCM what is film noir?
Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. The 1940s and 1950s are generally regarded as the "classic period" of American film noir. Wikipedia

Here's a few excellent examples

Movies Noir

I can’t really say. I don’t watch many TV shows. The last one I tried to watch was Better Call Saul, which was excellent, but I stopped watching because I had Breaking Bad fatigue. Breaking Bad was the best show I’ve ever watched.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...
With news channels pumping out everything negative as they can get negative, sitcoms about as humorous as a truck load of burnt babies, science shows skewed to left wing global warming/climate change kookology, human relationship shows that are fast tracked to racism, riots, wars, death & destruction like who wants to watch downer/bummer television shows anymore?

Even the commercials are bad. Some channels all they have is commercials on IRS collection, illness, suing the boy scouts, and debt. Entertainment went from good humored, well-intended, kindly Johnny Carson friend to all,

View attachment 449520

to the likes of pig snot, Stephen Colbert who "entertains" us by taking himself far too serious ranting on the evils of Trump, conservatism and generally insulting half the nation while thinking it funny. And NBC approves.

View attachment 449521

This is why television is dying. It is being killed off like everything good, by progressives.
colbert is almost all hate, and it's not funny, it's scary

I meant to say that while Carson was meant to NOT offend anyone, Colbert's (and the Left's in general) humor is MEANT to be mean-spirited, to harm the targets of their jokes and sarcasm. To project ill will.
It is easy to do those things when you are never taken to task. How can people so privileged be so condescending and demeaning to others and get away with it.

I believe the golden age of television is dependent on whatever years when we each were in grade school up through the first few years of high school. At least for me that was when I was into watching television. In my college years I recall M*A*S*H starting up and a few years later Saturday Night Live. After college my viewing (other than sports) was pretty much limited to going from M*A*S*H to Taxi to Cheers to Seinfeld and then didn't get into anything until Breaking Bad. My current viewing consists of watching Monk (for first time) and the old Naked City series on Amazon Prime plus CNBC's American Greed through On-Demand.

The "golden age" or television had one thing over what we see now: it was geared to adults. Of course there was silly stuff (the Munsters, Beverly Hillbillies, etc.) but even so it was geared to adults.

I check out a lot of the scripted shows (don't watch "reality" TV) and I find that they are often geared to gullible adolescents (of all ages) who buy into fatuous story lines and unreal, preposterous scenarios. One gets the distinct impression that none of the writers (directors, actors, etc) have ever lived in the real world.

I watch Blue Bloods, NCIS, a couple of the doctor shows, and Fox News. The cancer of "woke-ness" is infecting just about every show, to the point where they will soon be insufferable. Black people and women are smart and heroic; white males are either evil or buffoons or both.

Otherwise, I have been spending a lot of time bingeing foreign series from Netflix, as well as a few PBS series.

And Youtube is always good for an hour of entertainment.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...because I can't find anything worth watching.

The Boys season one wasn't bad, and I had high hopes...but season two went directly off the rails.

I believe that was the last new show I tried.

I rewatch NCIS, Lost, BSG, Dark Matter, Castle, Firefly, The Expanse, Sherlock, might start TWD again...although I never finished it.

I used to wonder why my folks watched old B&W episodes of The Rifleman and Bonanza...but I think I get it now.

Perhaps as I age out of the Key Demographic...shows just don't resonate with me anymore.

Anyone else noticing this?

If not...what are you watching?
Lol, I am still watching Bonanza, The rifleman and Tales of Wellsfargo.

I think TV is better than it has ever been in terms of quality, especially on cable. My biggest complaint is that seasons are too freaking short on cable and on the networks they are hacked up into too many little 3-4episode runs, then a several weeks "break" and then maybe 3 or 4 more episodes.

Our household only watches old TV shows and old movies. I spent so many years in school and so many years where work time went into the next morning that many shows are new to me.

Of the current crop Pennyworth is good and so is Blue Bloods. The NYPD is pretty much over so Blue Bloods might not last long.

There is also old BBC.

I find myself rewatching older shows instead of watching new programming...because I can't find anything worth watching.

The Boys season one wasn't bad, and I had high hopes...but season two went directly off the rails.

I believe that was the last new show I tried.

I rewatch NCIS, Lost, BSG, Dark Matter, Castle, Firefly, The Expanse, Sherlock, might start TWD again...although I never finished it.

I used to wonder why my folks watched old B&W episodes of The Rifleman and Bonanza...but I think I get it now.

Perhaps as I age out of the Key Demographic...shows just don't resonate with me anymore.

Anyone else noticing this?

If not...what are you watching?
It's been over since they cancelled Mythbusters.

I like watching the Ed Sullivan shows on Decades, plus the 'newsreel' type thing that channel does with assorted stars, also The Untouchables; I find Walter Winchell's voice to be hilarious for some reason, plus I like seeing all the guest actors from before they became big stars, same with Rawhide. I also like to watch some of the old Variety shows, like Sonny and Cher, Johnny Cash, and Dean Martin's old show. Some of his old Roasts are good, too, but they ran the format into the ground and ran with it far too long. I thought the Sopranos, Breaking BAd, Justified, and Boardwalk Empire were good, too, from the cable network productions. Our local library keeps up a good selection of those types of shows on DVD. .

I liked some of the Brit shows as well, Martin, Yes, Minister, Last of the Summer Wine, and the one with Oslo in it, Keeping Up Appearances. I liked a few other pilots, but they all disappeared, I guess into that Brit Box hole. I'm all up for a good WW I pilot show, or at least a decent WW I air war movie. The Viking and Anglo Saxon era series shows were good too., though somebody told me many of them are made in the U.S., or by U.S. companies.

Last edited:
I think TV is better than it has ever been in terms of quality, especially on cable. My biggest complaint is that seasons are too freaking short on cable and on the networks they are hacked up into too many little 3-4episode runs, then a several weeks "break" and then maybe 3 or 4 more episodes.
I hate hearing about a great show on Amazon or Netflix. I wish good netflix shows would eventually make it to cable tv

I hate hearing about a great show on Amazon or Netflix. I wish good netflix shows would eventually make it to cable tv

when I had xfinity, it came with a free netflix subscription but I didn't use it before I dropped them for direct tv. A lot of those shows however can be found on the probably illegal streaming sites if you look around for them. I watched the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina that way until I became bored with it.

when I had xfinity, it came with a free netflix subscription but I didn't use it before I dropped them for direct tv. A lot of those shows however can be found on the probably illegal streaming sites if you look around for them. I watched the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina that way until I became bored with it.
Well if avengers can’t go from the theater to tbs I don’t see why orange is the new black can’t one day make it to tnt. Or that Seth organ superhero series the boys. One day I hope they sell it to cable tv

I am an old bastard, and most of my contemporaries are constantly looking for old HBO, Netflix and PBS series to binge. We all admit to spending a month or more watching many seasons of shows that we enjoy.

In fact, compiling a list would be a good public service.

The Wire,
Downton Abbey
Poldark
Outlander (mainly for women; I find it insufferable),
Dexter,
Sopranos, Ray Donovan - basically the same thing
The Crown,
and so forth.

I wonder why nobody has tried making an epic series out of Edward Rutherfurd's generational histories, particularly Londonium and Sarum. I loved those two books, and they seem to be excellent source material for a series. I guess the costuming and sets would be too expensive in the past, but with CGI advanced enough now they should be doable. They were better books than Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth, and predate those by many years.

Forum List

Back