Is the flu shot an indication of what is instore for us

Thank you for the source. Now do me a favor and read this part:

In addition, the 2009 H1N1 strain appears to be more fastidious than typical seasonal influenza viruses, requiring 2 eggs instead of the usual one to produce a single vaccine dose. Therefore 240 million eggs are needed to make 120 million vaccine doses. According to Commercial Chicken Meat and Egg Production (only $279.20 at Amazon), 1 chicken can pound out about 300 eggs annually.* If so, 800,000 chickens can produce the required number of eggs for the US supply of the 2009 H1N1 vaccine in 1 year. The AP reports that more than 30 US farms, representing 9-12 million chickens, are under long-term contract to provide eggs for vaccine production.

So...the GOVERNMENT only contracts with 30 farms? That is the fault of private farms how? What did the government do when they were told twice as many eggs were needed? I love it when the source burns the poster.
I agree, the government needs to take a bigger role in health care.

:eusa_shhh: I think they are planning to do just that.

So they can screw up the whole system? They can't even line up enough chicken farmers.
P.S. They need to get out of agriculture too.

On one hand you want the government to have no involvement in health care, while at the same time you seem to think they should be producing vaccines. You also want them to stay out of agriculture, but you want them to award more contracts to produce eggs.

This is all pretty silly. You do realize that if the government wasn't involved in flu vaccines there wouldn't be any affordable vaccines, don't you? Since flu virus mutates repeatedly there is no one else but the government that is going to gamble on a particular vaccine.

Personally I think if the government had let doctors offices, hospitals, clinics, and pharm companies make and sell the drug for profit we would have a surplus right now.

But those in charge right now wouldn't ever do that so people like me have to come up with Ideas to work inside their system.

Such as declaring that emergency several months ago instead of last week.

Personally I think if the government had let doctors offices, hospitals, clinics, and pharm companies make and sell the drug for profit we would have a surplus right now.

But those in charge right now wouldn't ever do that so people like me have to come up with Ideas to work inside their system.

Such as declaring that emergency several months ago instead of last week.

That isn't what happened. The government basically had to force some vaccine manufacturers to keep their vaccine making infrastructures in place because vaccine making is a loss leader essentially. There was no "not letting" anybody make vaccines for profit.

Get a clue.

On one hand you want the government to have no involvement in health care, while at the same time you seem to think they should be producing vaccines. You also want them to stay out of agriculture, but you want them to award more contracts to produce eggs.

This is all pretty silly. You do realize that if the government wasn't involved in flu vaccines there wouldn't be any affordable vaccines, don't you? Since flu virus mutates repeatedly there is no one else but the government that is going to gamble on a particular vaccine.

Your understanding of how vaccines are made is poor. Your lack of reading skills is also poor. I NEVER said the government should produce vaccines. I am perfectly happy having private industry do it.

I will agree with your second paragraph. Now another thing for you to consider is DO WE NEED FLU SHOTS?

USATODAY.com - Flu shot's effectiveness in elderly is questioned

Washing your hands is as or more effective than a shot. Of course, the government can't help you with that.

Your understanding of how vaccines are made is poor. Your lack of reading skills is also poor. I NEVER said the government should produce vaccines. I am perfectly happy having private industry do it.

I will agree with your second paragraph. Now another thing for you to consider is DO WE NEED FLU SHOTS?

USATODAY.com - Flu shot's effectiveness in elderly is questioned

Washing your hands is as or more effective than a shot. Of course, the government can't help you with that.
Your headline says one thing but the article says another. The study was flawed.

I know a few elderly people and immune compromised people that get flu shots every year...and they don't get the flu. No flu, no die from flu.

Give your article another read.

Private industry wouldn't make vaccines without an incentive because they aren't profitable. That's all there is to it. So your entire premise, IMO, is just silly partisan hackery...just like the Senator that passed out that talking point the other day.

btw...:lol:... a government financed study under the Republicans returns flawed data. I wonder why that is? :eusa_whistle:

So why does the article say this Ravi?

"In the paper published Monday in the Archives of Internal Medicine, researcher Lone Simonsen of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and colleagues report that though immunization rates in people over 65 have increased 50% in the past 20 years, there has not been a corresponding decline in flu-related deaths."

Try this source: Welcome to Homeopathy

Or this one: The Flu Scare Game - ReliableAnswers.com

Possibly his one: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/nvsr52_09p9.pdf
Note this one includes the total deaths from pneumonia too, many not related to flu.

"In the paper published Monday in the Archives of Internal Medicine, researcher Lone Simonsen of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and colleagues report that though immunization rates in people over 65 have increased 50% in the past 20 years, there has not been a corresponding decline in flu-related deaths."

Note this one includes the total deaths from pneumonia too, many not related to flu.
Flu deaths occur when people get the flu.

The vaccine prevents people from getting the flu.

The "study" found that elderly people that get the flu are dying at similar rates to elderly people that get the flu.

I'm not sure why you can't grasp that, but hey...no one's perfect.

The "study" found that elderly people that get the flu are dying at similar rates to elderly people that get the flu.

You didn't read any of the sources. If you had, even if you just read my post carefully, you would see flu deaths AND pneumonia deaths are reported together. Some people die from pneumonia alone, but are placed in the flu category.

The vaccine MAY prevent SOME from getting the flu. These sources dispute the flu vaccine works AT ALL. You simply created a statement with no basis, " The 'study' found that elderly people that get the flu are dying at similar rates to elderly people that get the flu." What was said is OVER TIME the elderly are dying at the SAME RATE whether flu vaccine was present or not. It infers flu vaccine has no effect.

It's the presidents fault that there isn't enough vaccine, just ask John Kerry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/20/politics/campaign/20bushxx.html
snip,
Democrats have seized on the vaccine shortage to accuse the administration of being unable to protect Americans - from either illness or terrorism. "If you can't get flu vaccines to Americans, how are you going to protect them against bioterrorism?'' Senator John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate, asked in an interview with National Public Radio. "If you can't get flu vaccines to Americans, what kind of health care program are you running?''

The Kerry campaign has produced a television advertisement that blames Mr. Bush for the shortage.....

How come Mr Kerry isn't blaming Mr Obama for this like he blamed Mr Bush in 2004?

You didn't read any of the sources. If you had, even if you just read my post carefully, you would see flu deaths AND pneumonia deaths are reported together. Some people die from pneumonia alone, but are placed in the flu category.

The vaccine MAY prevent SOME from getting the flu. These sources dispute the flu vaccine works AT ALL. You simply created a statement with no basis, " The 'study' found that elderly people that get the flu are dying at similar rates to elderly people that get the flu." What was said is OVER TIME the elderly are dying at the SAME RATE whether flu vaccine was present or not. It infers flu vaccine has no effect.
H1N1's Links to Pneumonia Appear Clearer - CBS News

Although why a minority of patients become so sick remains a mystery, new research indicates that H1N1 is different from typical seasonal flu viruses in crucial ways -- most notably in its ability to penetrate deep into the lungs and cause viral pneumonia.

Many people who die from H1N1 have pneumonia. Many people who die with pneumonia do not have H1N1. A false conclusion on your part.

Many people who die from H1N1 have pneumonia. Many people who die with pneumonia do not have H1N1. A false conclusion on your part.
I gave no conclusion, I merely pointed out that H1N1 can cause viral pneumonia. The people who die after getting H1N1, die from pneumonia.

They intended to have health care reform passed by now, PP. I know saw the video montage piece that shows the path to socialized healthcare. Of course the liberals in gov't want that to be the eventual end game but as we have seen in the recent months they can't seem to get shit accomplished so forgive me if I just kinda shrug at doom and gloom projections of what may be 20 years from now.

Now in regards to the H1N1, they are doing the best they can. When Obama declared a federal emergency to help speed up the process he was attacked for it on this very board and now we are hearing that it's taking too long.

15 come on...they had to of known this wasnt going to be passed in a couple of months....and even if they did pass it in the time frame they wanted....how would that affect getting that vaccine out and distributed?...regardless of this thing passing or not....the vaccine should have been going on regardless....LA County was PROMISED 1 million shots by a certain date and only got 13 thousand by that time....someone fucked up somewhere.....

Of course, the private sector manufacturers of the vaccine can't produce the vaccine fast enough because the private sector egg producers can't produce eggs fast enough so therefore, by CON$ervative "logic," the private sector is blameless. All blame belongs to the Government. :cuckoo:
Brilliant!

what i think Kee is saying here is that its not so easy to come up with something to distribute to 300 million + people as compared to 5-50 million.....something me and a few others have been saying all along....but to people like Old Rocks and the pro UHC crowd....there should be no or very little difference.....welcome to reality.......

I have seen how state health care works and I never had a problem with it.
I was on state medical when I was pregnant even though I worked full time but because the corporation I worked for had many loop holes on getting out of covering people I had to go on state medical. I got to choose my doctor, choose the hospital I had my son at, and I got the same care that my sister recieved when she had her baby at the same hospital but had private insurance. My son is on state now and I have never had to wait in lines and I have never had any problem recieving medical care for him.

my state you would not be saying that....

But not all the dots, only the dots that support your bias. The vaccine is produced by private sector manufacturers who say they can't get enough eggs from private sector egg producers. So if you connected ALL the dots they would lead you back to a private sector failure.

so according to you this would not even be a problem for the govt?.....

Long lines, shortage of drugs, rationing, total chaos, non prepairedness, inexperience, Is this what is going to happen if this Obamination of a healthcare program is forced on all Americans? God help us all. or will they just hand out asprins to all!!! Maybe this is why all Congressmen and Senators opted themselves and families out of this system if made law.

you got it man, there aren't enough doctors, nurses or hospitals to take on 47 million more people, the (D) cannot seem to gasp that simple reality.

the more people the harder it is....the pro UHC people cant seem to grasp that either.....

just heard that the prisoners at Gitmo will get the shots befor the citizens do . What a joke!!!! Terrorists before taxpaying citizens!!!! What or who's next all illegals

Forum List

Back