Is slavery wrong?

Paul tells one how to be good slave. I suspect Paul was a slave.

I fully agree. The goal of the New Testament is to promote a code of ethics for servants to live by. I find it odd that Christians in the 1800's found slavery morally repugnant. The Bible doesn't criticize slavery in my observation. I think the anti-slavery movement was more than likely inspired by the French Enlightenment.

you are slightly wrong------depending on your use of the word
"bible"------if you refer to what some people call the "Old Testament"-----then it is very clear that slavery is considered
a calamity to enslaved persons ---a very undesirable status. In the New Testament the apologist for slavery is PAUL which
is interesting in itself. The historic Paul is almost certainly a
GREEK. During his time Greeks harbored an animus to
Rome in that lots of Greeks were enslaved by Rome at that
time. Despite the miserable facts for Greeks-----Paul advises slaves to accept their miserable lot -----avidly and with no protest at all. He was not a slave but his avid followers were.------historically lots of early Christians were or had been
enslaved.

I agree. The New Testament is a lot more sympathetic to the institution of slavery than the Old Testament.

What moral basis did we use to come to the conclusion that slavery was wrong?

Can we use that same moral basis to argue than owning cattle is wrong? dogs? horses? sheep? needle nose dolphins?

I think certain members of society could achieve an elevated status by being enslaved. Thieves and drug addicts could have an improved quality of life if they were purchased as slaves by well meaning entrepreneurs. Those entrepreneurs could produce abundant and cheap services that would improve the quality of life for everybody.

Slavery was cruel but poverty is crueler still. Life is cruel and many of us feel like slaves anyways. What would be the drawback of making it official? You'd still have to treat your slaves with dignity so don't try any sheningans by telling me that people would get beat and shoved in closets. You know that isn't true.

Could enslaving thieves and drug addicts improve society and correct a few of our problems at the same time?

"Do onto others as ..." is my answer.

Of course, We the People have become indentured slaves to the Plutocrats. Of course that statement is hyperbole now, but as we move farther into the future those who own the gold will make all the rules; that is the end goal of, and the product of just five member of the USSC, those who voted making money = to free speech in two unjust decisions: CU v. FEC and McCutcheon v. FEC.

"Do onto others as ..." is my answer.

I would like for others to give me a free house, free food and pay all my bills for me. Surely that isn't your best argument. Slavery provides the kind of security that multi-millionaires could never achieve. Some people prefer security to freedom.

I fully agree. The goal of the New Testament is to promote a code of ethics for servants to live by. I find it odd that Christians in the 1800's found slavery morally repugnant. The Bible doesn't criticize slavery in my observation. I think the anti-slavery movement was more than likely inspired by the French Enlightenment.

"bible"------if you refer to what some people call the "Old Testament"-----then it is very clear that slavery is considered
a calamity to enslaved persons ---a very undesirable status. In the New Testament the apologist for slavery is PAUL which
time. Despite the miserable facts for Greeks-----Paul advises slaves to accept their miserable lot -----avidly and with no protest at all. He was not a slave but his avid followers were.------historically lots of early Christians were or had been
enslaved.

I agree. The New Testament is a lot more sympathetic to the institution of slavery than the Old Testament.

my interpretation of that fact is ----the "New Testament" was
written in support of ROMAN culture. Rome depended on
slave labor. There would be no chance for the survival
of Christianity if it did not advocate slavery.

Slavery is a lesson in moral relativity. In the time of the the Bible, it was morally acceptable, but with progress we evolved to superior levels.

Define slavery.

The state of being a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Of course I would never promote unregulated slavery. I also don't advocate anyone being born into slavery. Slavery would be reserved for thieves, drug addicts or those who were too heavily indebted to pay their debts.

How nice of you, creating a Brave New World with an unending supply of free labor. But is it really free? You added the caveat that slavery needed to be regulated, and thus guards and administrators will be needed and paid to enforce rules and regulations. The slaves will need fool, clothing, shelter and medical/dental care, adequate rest and a good supply of SOMA***

"Euphoric, narcotic, pleasantly hallucinant"—that's what Mustapha says of soma. It's arguably the best tool the government has for controlling its population. It sedates, calms, and most importantly distracts a person from realizing that there's actually something very, very wrong—namely, that the citizens of the World State are enslaved.

enslaved.

You have just proven you have never studied the Torah's definition of Servitude.

enslaved.
What Bible did you read?
Surely not the Torah.

enslaved.
What Bible did you read?
Surely not the Torah.

yeah----that one-----that's the one I read------slavery is not described as a DESIRABLE situation---for anyone. The rules
regarding enslaved persons which are presented in the Torah were NOT adopted by the Holy Roman Empire

You have just proven you have never studied the Torah's definition of Servitude.

Challenge accepted. Leviticus is my favorite book of the Bible. I will load you up with references to slavery in the Old Testament and compare them to references in the New Testament. I have read through the entire Bible twice. When you say Torah you are referencing Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, right?

The New Testament paints slavery as no big deal. The Old Testament paints slavery as a disadvantaged status. However I will accept your parameters of staying within the first five books of the Bible when making my case.

Challenge accepted. Leviticus is my favorite book of the Bible. I will load you up with references to slavery in the Old Testament and compare them to references in the New Testament. I have read through the entire Bible twice. When you say Torah you are referencing Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, right?

The New Testament paints slavery as no big deal. The Old Testament paints slavery as a disadvantaged status. However I will accept your parameters of staying within the first five books of the Bible when making my case.
Sure, nothing like getting an education.
Genesis though Deuteronomy...

Indentured servitude should be brought back so people can pay their debts.

I am on the VASU team-----slavery is not presented in a positive light in the five books-----it is presented as a status
to AVOID-----and of which to LEAVE ---when legally possible to do so.

I am on the VASU team-----slavery is not presented in a positive light in the five books-----it is presented as a status

In fact----even when not legal-----its sorta ok to get out of it

If you think slavery is morally acceptable, then I claim you as my own. Now go fix dinner, and then wash my car...

I have done things much more strenuous than fixing dinner and washing cars. I'm sure I would be capable of handling your demands. It could be a win-win for both of us if you have lots of work than needs to be done around your house. If you are anything like me then you have a bunch of things around your house that you have been putting off for 10 years. If you had a slave those tasks could be finished in weeks if not days.

So, you volunteering?

For Jewish servants, yes.
For non-Jews, not such a bad situation to be in compared to what most non-Jews are subject to.

Forum List

Back