Is slavery wrong?

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
What moral basis did we use to come to the conclusion that slavery was wrong?

Can we use that same moral basis to argue than owning cattle is wrong? dogs? horses? sheep? needle nose dolphins?

I think certain members of society could achieve an elevated status by being enslaved. Thieves and drug addicts could have an improved quality of life if they were purchased as slaves by well meaning entrepreneurs. Those entrepreneurs could produce abundant and cheap services that would improve the quality of life for everybody.

Slavery was cruel but poverty is crueler still. Life is cruel and many of us feel like slaves anyways. What would be the drawback of making it official? You'd still have to treat your slaves with dignity so don't try any sheningans by telling me that people would get beat and shoved in closets. You know that isn't true.

Could enslaving thieves and drug addicts improve society and correct a few of our problems at the same time?

What constitutes "wrong" in this scenario? Slavery was deemed wrong on the grounds that it violated mans right to liberty and the persuit of happiness. It differs from the ownership of non-human animals (we're all animals) due to the fact that humans are sentient.

Can we use that same moral basis to argue than owning cattle is wrong? dogs? horses? sheep? needle nose dolphins?

I think certain members of society could achieve an elevated status by being enslaved. Thieves and drug addicts could have an improved quality of life if they were purchased as slaves by well meaning entrepreneurs. Those entrepreneurs could produce abundant and cheap services that would improve the quality of life for everybody.

Slavery was cruel but poverty is crueler still. Life is cruel and many of us feel like slaves anyways. What would be the drawback of making it official? You'd still have to treat your slaves with dignity so don't try any sheningans by telling me that people would get beat and shoved in closets. You know that isn't true.

Could enslaving thieves and drug addicts improve society and correct a few of our problems at the same time?

If you think slavery is morally acceptable, then I claim you as my own. Now go fix dinner, and then wash my car...

As just about everything in the US is illegal, and you could find yourself sold off. . . I'm sure you might find yourself changing your tune pretty quickly when you are in chains.

If you think slavery is morally acceptable, then I claim you as my own. Now go fix dinner, and then wash my car...

I have done things much more strenuous than fixing dinner and washing cars. I'm sure I would be capable of handling your demands. It could be a win-win for both of us if you have lots of work than needs to be done around your house. If you are anything like me then you have a bunch of things around your house that you have been putting off for 10 years. If you had a slave those tasks could be finished in weeks if not days.

Paul tells one how to be good slave. I suspect Paul was a slave.

I fully agree. The goal of the New Testament is to promote a code of ethics for servants to live by. I find it odd that Christians in the 1800's found slavery morally repugnant. The Bible doesn't criticize slavery in my observation. I think the anti-slavery movement was more than likely inspired by the French Enlightenment.

As just about everything in the US is illegal, and you could find yourself sold off. . . I'm sure you might find yourself changing your tune pretty quickly when you are in chains.

My tune wouldn't matter if I was a slave.

penny dear-----if you are ever called for JURY DUTY----and don't want to do it------just bring to the court----a collection of
your posts------you will be disqualified FOREVER

Define slavery.

The state of being a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Of course I would never promote unregulated slavery. I also don't advocate anyone being born into slavery. Slavery would be reserved for thieves, drug addicts or those who were too heavily indebted to pay their debts.

Define slavery.

The state of being a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Of course I would never promote unregulated slavery. I also don't advocate anyone being born into slavery. Slavery would be reserved for thieves, drug addicts or those who were too heavily indebted to pay their debts.
I could perhaps agree to the first two, but indebted people? That sounds dystopian, even for me.

Edit: thieves and drug addicts would make poor slaves.

I fully agree. The goal of the New Testament is to promote a code of ethics for servants to live by. I find it odd that Christians in the 1800's found slavery morally repugnant. The Bible doesn't criticize slavery in my observation. I think the anti-slavery movement was more than likely inspired by the French Enlightenment.

you are slightly wrong------depending on your use of the word
"bible"------if you refer to what some people call the "Old Testament"-----then it is very clear that slavery is considered
a calamity to enslaved persons ---a very undesirable status. In the New Testament the apologist for slavery is PAUL which
is interesting in itself. The historic Paul is almost certainly a
GREEK. During his time Greeks harbored an animus to
Rome in that lots of Greeks were enslaved by Rome at that
time. Despite the miserable facts for Greeks-----Paul advises slaves to accept their miserable lot -----avidly and with no protest at all. He was not a slave but his avid followers were.------historically lots of early Christians were or had been
enslaved.

Edit: thieves and drug addicts would make poor slaves.

Drug addicts are highly motivated individuals. I know a drug addict that goes to rehab for 21 days just about every year. He has worked for the same company for 20 years. They don't guarantee him a job for humanitarian purposes. The dude can sell ice cubes to Eskimoes.

Slavery is alive and well in America. My wife has owned her personal slave now for fifty-three years.

New Topics

Forum List

Back