Is Palin a liar or just dumb as a stump?

Then provide the verification as well as corroborations. So far all I see is his statements, no verification and no corroborations.

That ethics report found Palin entirely culpable, then she went out and lied through her teeth, claiming it exonerated her. The report and her false statements regarding it are both widely available and on record.

Schmidt's other big statement getting press is that Palin couldn't even remember Joe Biden's name during the debate, and that was why she did her infamous "Can I call you Joe?" so as to not embarrass herself at getting his name wrong during the debate.

Palin herself corroborated this on page 289 of Going Rouge:

Obviously not every single claim will be independently verified, because Palin and those in her camp have a vested interest in not making her appear unqualified. McCain's camp has no interest in making her appear unqualified either. They have no reason to lie now, the campaign is over and they're not trying to blame her for the loss, but in fact he said she helped the campaign, this guy is just answering questions and giving details about what went wrong.

But you ignore one very7 important part of this....the people that are the topic of the "gossip" regarding their infidelity, their lies, their lack of ethics...are the same people that are ignoring the polls and pushing through legislation that is not necessarily what the people want.

They imply that they lknow what is best for the people and want to do this for the people....but do any of you want people with "questionable" level of ethics to have such power?

I know I dont.

No, this isn't about their ethics. If it were, the book and the reports coming from it would be about how the politicians make deals with their top campaign contributors, powerful individuals, corporate entities, and entire sections of the business world, to enact favorable legislation for money. If it were about their ethics, it would be about them misusing campaign funds, deciding to support policies they knew to be harmful in order to secure more votes, colluding with special anti-democratic interests for power within the beltway, those kind of political ethical concerns that every national politician faces and nearly all (every subject of the book at least) is guilty of violating.

Instead, it is gossip of the checkout line rag variety, no different than "exposés" of who Lindsay Lohan slept with this weekend or what Paris Hilton privately said to her friends about it.

It's personality-driven political crap focused on what tidbits are "juiciest." The kind of shit we were mired in for two years during the Clinton sex scandal that had no real impact on anything except to distract us from actual legislation and policies that have an enormous impact on our lives and should be the focus of our political concerns.

You've yet to prove she lied. You claim the ethics report found her culpable, show me. And then show me where she stated that the same report exonerates her.

Sorry, I assumed you were at least minimally aware and informed. The "Troopergate" abuse of power and corruption scandal and subsequent report were both widely reported during the campaign, as was Palin's false claim that it exonerated her.

A bipartisan committee of Alaska legislators voted 12-0 to release a report stating that Gov. Sarah Palin violated state ethics law "by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper."

Here's the opening of their investigation results, written by Stephen Branchflower, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel:

Finding One

For the reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39/52/110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) provides

The legislature reaffirms that every public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.

From the local Anchorage Daily News (note the headline):

Troopergate report: Palin abused power

A legislative investigation has concluded that Gov. Sarah Palin abused her power in pushing for the firing of an Alaska state trooper who was once married to her sister, or by failing to prevent her husband Todd from doing so.

The report by investigator Steve Branchflower was made public late this afternoon by a bipartisan 12-0 vote of the Legislative Council, which authorized the investigation....

AK_ADN.jpg

Here's the full text of the report: DOWNLOAD

Here's an audio recording and transcript of the conference call Palin made with the media after the report was released:

Alaska Politics Blog : Palin: 'Very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all' (Updated with audio) | adn.com

And the relevant quotes:

Sarah Palin said:
"I’m very, very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing … any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that."

Sarah Palin said:
"Again very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all.

And CBS coverage of the incident: Palin: Probe Exonerated Me - CBS News

The report explicitly found her to have committed unethical activity, then she claimed it totally exonerated her. She lied, Schmidt was only recounting something already well-known and well-reported.

That's all for now, I'm done doing your homework for you. Like I said, it's all publicly available and widely reported, you want to look into it do so yourself, but don't base your opinion purely on ignorance of the record.

Last edited:
I think VP Biden is a bit thickheaded. But one can argue that is part of his charm. He doesn't come across as a slick used car salesman/politician.

As for Sarah, well, she is making the most of it. It is a free country and a lot of people like her and will listen to what she has to say.
I don't think she is ready for national politics. Anyone in their right mind can see that.
I can't believe some of the vehemence against the woman though. Nobody is perfect. Get over it.

Last edited:
Wowzers...A McQuisling campaign staffer dumping on Palin?

There's something new, something different. :rolleyes:

I guess you missed the 'provable' qualifier...:rolleyes:

"Washington couldn't tell a lie, Nixon couldn't tell the truth, and Reagan couldn't tell the difference."
Mort Sahl

Never said it was but its the Paparattzi that love Hilton and Spears don't think they give a shit about Palin. I also think Palin has achieved a tad more that either one of those two airheads. I will agree though that they are all laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh wait, I forgot. Palin is dumb as a stump, ineffectual and a know nothing so she must be taking a different route to that bank. Hope the banks big enough.

Hmmmm..when did Britney and Hilton quit their jobs???:eusa_eh:

Hilton never had one to quitt. Thats what happens when your daddy is a Hilton. Spears?? Guess she has a job. Palin resigned hers. Guess you can call her a quitter. I don't, but thats oopen to interpritatioin. LOL

It's open to WHAT?

we're still on the "Palin is a quitter" thing??? Let's remember that Obama quit his job as junior senator.

Be careful what you harp on...

I think VP Biden is a bit thickheaded. But one can argue that is part of his charm. He doesn't come across as a slick used car salesman/politician.

As for Sarah, well, she is making the most of it. It is a free country and a lot of people like her and will listen to what she has to say.
I don't think she is ready for national politics. Anyone in their right mind can see that.
I can't believe some of the vehemence against the woman though. Nobody is perfect. Get over it.

boggles the mind doesn't it? I can't understand why they keep shoving her into the public eye with all their rants against her.

Oddly enough, Joe Biden is a perfect example of a car salesman to me. He's not thickheaded...he's clueless.

we're still on the "Palin is a quitter" thing??? Let's remember that Obama quit his job as junior senator.

He didn't quit his job, he was promoted by the American people.

Had McCain won, Palin would not be quitting her job as governor, she'd be doing the same.

Leaving it as she did was quitting.

Hook 'em.

To become a TV personality and internet blogger? I think not.

OH...splitting hairs are we?

Did he quit his job? Yes or no...

To save time and avoid some bullshit answer other than yes or no...the answre is YES.

He's a quitter.

but for the sake of conversation...she didn't resign her governorship to become a celebrity...she already was one...thanks to you morons on the left, SNL and Letterman. She could have blogged her ass off and wrote TEN books while being a governor.

She stepped down because you blood thirsty animals on the left had to attack no only her but her entire family, including the defenseless little baby with special needs. It takes a SICK individual to joke about that. But then again, we ARE talking about liberal scumbags.

He didn't quit his job, he was promoted by the American people.

Had McCain won, Palin would not be quitting her job as governor, she'd be doing the same.

Leaving it as she did was quitting.

Hook 'em.

No...he quit being a senator as soon as someone told him he was running for POTUS. All the DNC big wigs and fatcat check writers called him over to the "den" and gave him the good news. "We're gonna make you the next President and the first black one! No racism intended you understand." I'm sure the BO was very happy to hear that he didn't have to fetch coffee for Clinton anymore so he ran with it! Stopped going to senate hearings and stopped voting on anything EXCEPT abortion bills.

That ethics report found Palin entirely culpable, then she went out and lied through her teeth, claiming it exonerated her. The report and her false statements regarding it are both widely available and on record.

Schmidt's other big statement getting press is that Palin couldn't even remember Joe Biden's name during the debate, and that was why she did her infamous "Can I call you Joe?" so as to not embarrass herself at getting his name wrong during the debate.

Palin herself corroborated this on page 289 of Going Rouge:

Obviously not every single claim will be independently verified, because Palin and those in her camp have a vested interest in not making her appear unqualified. McCain's camp has no interest in making her appear unqualified either. They have no reason to lie now, the campaign is over and they're not trying to blame her for the loss, but in fact he said she helped the campaign, this guy is just answering questions and giving details about what went wrong.

No, this isn't about their ethics. If it were, the book and the reports coming from it would be about how the politicians make deals with their top campaign contributors, powerful individuals, corporate entities, and entire sections of the business world, to enact favorable legislation for money. If it were about their ethics, it would be about them misusing campaign funds, deciding to support policies they knew to be harmful in order to secure more votes, colluding with special anti-democratic interests for power within the beltway, those kind of political ethical concerns that every national politician faces and nearly all (every subject of the book at least) is guilty of violating.

Instead, it is gossip of the checkout line rag variety, no different than "exposés" of who Lindsay Lohan slept with this weekend or what Paris Hilton privately said to her friends about it.

It's personality-driven political crap focused on what tidbits are "juiciest." The kind of shit we were mired in for two years during the Clinton sex scandal that had no real impact on anything except to distract us from actual legislation and policies that have an enormous impact on our lives and should be the focus of our political concerns.

You've yet to prove she lied. You claim the ethics report found her culpable, show me. And then show me where she stated that the same report exonerates her.

Sorry, I assumed you were at least minimally aware and informed. The "Troopergate" abuse of power and corruption scandal and subsequent report were both widely reported during the campaign, as was Palin's false claim that it exonerated her.

A bipartisan committee of Alaska legislators voted 12-0 to release a report stating that Gov. Sarah Palin violated state ethics law "by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper."

Here's the opening of their investigation results, written by Stephen Branchflower, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel:

From the local Anchorage Daily News (note the headline):

AK_ADN.jpg

Here's the full text of the report: DOWNLOAD

Here's an audio recording and transcript of the conference call Palin made with the media after the report was released:

Alaska Politics Blog : Palin: 'Very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all' (Updated with audio) | adn.com

And the relevant quotes:

Sarah Palin said:
"I’m very, very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing … any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that."

Sarah Palin said:
"Again very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all.

And CBS coverage of the incident: Palin: Probe Exonerated Me - CBS News

The report explicitly found her to have committed unethical activity, then she claimed it totally exonerated her. She lied, Schmidt was only recounting something already well-known and well-reported.

That's all for now, I'm done doing your homework for you. Like I said, it's all publicly available and widely reported, you want to look into it do so yourself, but don't base your opinion purely on ignorance of the record.

I see, so you're going to go with a partisan witch hunt as an indication of guilt. Funny thing is, as it was stated in one of the news reports you provided is that, there has always been a common thread to all Ethics Act cases and that's money and the use of a government position to personally gain. Neither of which Palin was charged with or found guilty of. But hey nice try. One piece of advice though, layoff the kool-aid!

Oh brother...here we go with another DEAD IN THE WATER story about Palin...abuse of power. YAWN. Even if there was some gross miss-use of power, she is by far not the first politician to do that. I think blow jobs from the intern fits in that category a hell of alot more than getting a trooper fired.

I see, so you're going to go with a partisan witch hunt as an indication of guilt.

A bipartisan committee of Alaska legislators voted 12-0 to release a report stating that Gov. Sarah Palin violated state ethics law "by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper.

Funny thing is, as it was stated in one of the news reports you provided is that, there has always been a common thread to all Ethics Act cases and that's money and the use of a government position to personally gain. Neither of which Palin was charged with or found guilty of. But hey nice try. One piece of advice though, layoff the kool-aid!

She did use her position to personally gain. To fulfill a vendetta against her ex-brother-in-law. You don't have to make money from it. She was found guilty by a bipartisan report of abusing her power.

Regardless, you're deflecting. The details of the report aren't what you asked about nor what I proved. That is that she lied. If she were honest and thought it was a partisan smear, that's all she would have said. Instead, a report that found she abused her power she claimed "cleared [her] of any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that." Like up is down and down is up.

Whether you accept the bipartisan, unanimous report or not, she lied about it. That's all Schmidt, or I, were saying and all you asked to have proved to you as it more than sufficiently has been by any objective measure.

Last edited:
Steve Schmidt: Sarah Palin has trouble with truth - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

John McCain’s top campaign strategist said in an interview Sunday that Sarah Palin was dishonest as the GOP’s vice-presidential nominee and that her untruths have done long-term damage to her public image.

“There were numerous instances that she said things that were — that were not accurate that ultimately, the campaign had to deal with,” said Steve Schmidt in an interview broadcast on CBS’s “60 Minutes.” “And that opened the door to criticism that she was being untruthful and inaccurate. And I think that is something that continues to this day.”

Schmidt cited an ethics report on the then-Alaska governor from her home state on an investigation into whether she had improperly used her government position.

“She went out and said, you know, ‘This report completely exonerates me,’” Schmidt said. “And in fact, it — it didn’t. You know it’s the equivalent of saying down is up and up is down. It was provably, demonstrably untrue

Heilemann said that even after crash-course tutorials by campaign aides following the convention, Palin was still woefully uninformed about basic policy issues.

“he still didn’t really understand why there was a North Korea and a South Korea,” Heilemann told the program’s Anderson Cooper. “She was still regularly saying that Saddam Hussein had been behind 9/11.”

I remember at the time proving to a bunch of uneducable cons that the report did NOT exonerate her, amid howls and squeals of protest and denial, so yes,

she was lying about that. Or, possibly, she's as dumb, delusional, and in denial as the cons I was talking to that day were.

Forum List

Back