Is It Time For Israel To Give Up It's Nukes?

Israel is not part of the Non Proliferation treaty and is not subject to its rules. Iran is part of the NPT.

For whatever reason, Israel does not confirm or deny nukes. Their first president was part of the Manhattan project. They have a huge nuclear program for energy using reactors that do create bomb components as by products. South Africa allowed Israel to do tests for years. But Israel does not commit either way.

That said, they are in a very scary neighborhood with neighbors like Iran constantly making threats toward them. (Not the way Huggy put it in the OP. Most saber rattling between Israel and Iran is coming from Iran.)

They don't confirm the existence of the nukes, as that would give the Arab world justification for building them. They don't deny them either, as there is very good reason the Arab world should assume they are there and not try anything either. Anyone who wants to try an atom bomb on Israel should be assured that Israel has Hydrogen bombs to retaliate with. They have tested them. Israeli missiles are very accurate and reliable. The best the Iranians have done is 30% reliability and no accuracy at all.

Israel's attitude is they make no threats, but anyone who tries anything will regret it.

UMMMmmm... I have no dog in this fight. I portrayed it the way I percieve it.

Why the word games on such an important and inflamatory threat? First you say they deny...then you immediately verify they have and have tested. That's a very dangerous game.

If I was a Jew I would knock off the stupid shit and DO something to diffuse the situation. All this threat talk can only lead to one nasty outcome.

Does it matter if you get blown to radioactive dust by a conventional nuke or one of the hydrogen variety?

Also to "accuracy" of Irans missles...they just put a satalite into orbit. Should be accurate enough to deliver a bomb.

U.S. anxiety grows over possible Israeli plans on Iran

Quote:
European and U.S. diplomats say Obama administration worried about Israeli leaders' provocative public comments on Iran's nuclear program.
U.S. anxiety grows over possible Israeli plans on Iran - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Israel Vice PM: Military strike can hit all of Iran's nuclear facilities

Quote:
All of Iran's nuclear faculties are vulnerable to a military strike, Vice Prime Minister and Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe Ya’alon said on Thursday, calling the potential of a nuclear Iran a "nightmare to the free world."
Israel Vice PM: Military strike can hit all of Iran's nuclear facilities - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Hard to hear with all this Saber rattling

do you think the Iranians want Palestine to be uninhabitable like Chernobyl :cuckoo: Thats what a nuclear strike would do. They want Palestinians and other indigenous peoples to be able to live there side-by-side like they were prior to the "creation" of modern Israel.

A nuclear attack on Israel that would be sufficient to wipe it off the map would likely kill many Arabs, too, but it would not make the area uninhabitable. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were not uninhabitable after being nuked by the US in WWII. Nuclear bombs are exploded above the target in order to gain the largest lethal zone, so the radiation, deadly at first, is rapidly dispersed. Nuclear explosions at ground level leave more lasting radiation damage.

Martyrdom in the service of holy causes, such as the destruction of the Jewish state, is a core value of the Iranian Islamists, and should, in their view, be considered a privilege by Muslims, so in the eyes of the Iranian zealots, the dead Arabs would either be willing martyrs or unworthy of consideration.

What strikes me as odd is that the perpensities of the Arabs were well established and Israel came into being well AFTER the advent of nuclear weapons. Just WHAT outcome did they expect by plopping thier little country right in the middle of the hornets nest?

It seems Jews are just as willing to die for thier "god given rights" as do Arabs and Persians.

May they ALL get thier god given wishes.

Desire and ability are not the same thing. The Arabs may want to destroy Israel, but they have proved over and over again that they lack the ability to do it. At this time, the Arab states, with the possible exception of Syria have apparently given up on the idea of destroying Israel, but clearly Iran and its Arab proxies haven't, so rather than living in a hornets nest, Israel is now dealing with perhaps one hornet and a few fleas.

The outcome the Israelis expected and continue to expect was and is to eventually live in peace in a Jewish state, and as the Arab states and Iran evolve socially and politically, that expectation will become more realizable.

Israel is not part of the Non Proliferation treaty and is not subject to its rules. Iran is part of the NPT.

Thanks for pointing that out. Must be nice to be able to refuse to sign the NPT :eusa_eh: :eusa_whistle:

Israel possesses an arsenal of at least 150 nuclear weapons. Why does Obama trot out the discredited policy of "strategic ambiguity" – in which Israeli and U.S. officials officially refuse to confirm or deny the existence Israeli nuclear weapons – at this early moment? For one reason alone: to break the law. The 1976 Symington Amendment prohibits most U.S. foreign aid to any country found trafficking in nuclear enrichment equipment or technology outside international safeguards. Israel has never signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). If U.S. presidents complied with the Symington Amendment, they would not deliver yearly aid packages to Israel totaling billions of dollars. Presidents make-believe that Israeli nuclear weapons don't exist so Congress can legally continue shoveling the lion's share of the U.S. foreign aid budget to Israel.
Will Obama Break the Law for Israel's Sake? - by Grant F. Smith - Antiwar.com

Thanks for pointing that out. Must be nice to be able to refuse to sign the NPT :eusa_eh: :eusa_whistle:

Israel possesses an arsenal of at least 150 nuclear weapons. Why does Obama trot out the discredited policy of "strategic ambiguity" – in which Israeli and U.S. officials officially refuse to confirm or deny the existence Israeli nuclear weapons – at this early moment? For one reason alone: to break the law. The 1976 Symington Amendment prohibits most U.S. foreign aid to any country found trafficking in nuclear enrichment equipment or technology outside international safeguards. Israel has never signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). If U.S. presidents complied with the Symington Amendment, they would not deliver yearly aid packages to Israel totaling billions of dollars. Presidents make-believe that Israeli nuclear weapons don't exist so Congress can legally continue shoveling the lion's share of the U.S. foreign aid budget to Israel.
Will Obama Break the Law for Israel's Sake? - by Grant F. Smith - Antiwar.com

Israel is believed to have had nuclear weapons by the late 1960's, so how would the Symington amendment have applied?

Once it was confirmed, the Symington amendment would have applied to Israel too

Last edited:

Every state was free to refuse to sign the NPT and having signed, every state is free to withdraw. The NPT states, in effect, that only the permanent members of the UN Security Council are entitled to have nuclear weapons, but Israel is believed to have developed its nukes at about the same time as China did, both before the NPT took effect, but the NPT would have required Israel to give up its nukes but allowed China to keep its nukes. Israel is unique in that it is the only country that is believed to have had nukes when the NPT went into effect that would have been required to give them up if it had signed at that time.

Once it was confirmed, the Symington amendment would have applied to Israel too

I don't see how. Whatever "trafficking" in nuclear technology Israel might have done would have occurred years before the Symington amendment went into effect.

Dumb Little Diaper Dude...

In your own words...

You are an idiot. Try posting the whole post and the whole one I replied to. But that would be honest...which you are not. Or just go away. You add nothing to the conversation.

Has HouseGimp ever added anything to a conversation :confused: :lol:

My "additions" are my own, unlike your cut & paste bullshit...

I wish I could be as shallow and one dimentional as you and Diaper Dude, but it just isn't in me...

Forum List

Back