Is it okay to say we lost in Iraq because GWB was the president?

You people who claim we lost the war in Iraq as we leave there and they are doing fine with a republic in place better think twice or at best look who is standing around you when you claim we lost that war just because GWB was the president and it was his war

I am not kidding. I know some gung ho marines who do not feel that way and I am clueless as to why any of you would feel that way

ARE U NUTS?

The people who I hear saying something to the effect that Obama is admitting/conceding defeat (or whatever other terminology they use) by withdrawing all American troops from Iraq, are conservatives.

Now, what >I< believe is if the current president was a Republican, these self same people would be declaring victory in Iraq.

You people who claim we lost the war in Iraq as we leave there and they are doing fine with a republic in place better think twice or at best look who is standing around you when you claim we lost that war just because GWB was the president and it was his war

I am not kidding. I know some gung ho marines who do not feel that way and I am clueless as to why any of you would feel that way

ARE U NUTS?

The people who I hear saying something to the effect that Obama is admitting/conceding defeat (or whatever other terminology they use) by withdrawing all American troops from Iraq, are conservatives.

Now, what >I< believe is if the current president was a Republican, these self same people would be declaring victory in Iraq.

Thats not what they said
You can google what they really said

let me help

House Speaker John Boehner said he's concerned that the withdrawal could reverse progress made in Iraq, but he urged continued engagement between the two countries.

In a statement, Mr. Boehner said that despite U.S. soldiers leaving Iraq, "we owe it to them to continue engaging with the Iraqi government in a way that ensures our hard-fought gains translate into long-term success."

Boehner added: "I'm hopeful that both countries will work together to guarantee that a free and democratic Iraq remains a strong and stable partner for the United States in the Middle East."

I respectfully disagree with the President," McCain said. "This decision will be viewed as a strategic victory for our enemies in the Middle East, especially the Iranian regime, which has worked relentlessly to ensure a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. It is a consequential failure of both the Obama Administration -- which has been more focused on withdrawing from Iraq than succeeding in Iraq since it came into office -- as well as the Iraqi government.

Politics, and in this same article no-one is trying to state that GWB did not set these events into place in 08
There concern was the general's have made no comments on these events

GOP slams, Dems praise Obama over Iraq withdrawal - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Your read fox or the times, none of this is even mentioned

ARE U NUTS?

Thats not what they said

let me help

House Speaker John Boehner said he's concerned that the withdrawal could reverse progress made in Iraq, but he urged continued engagement between the two countries.

In a statement, Mr. Boehner said that despite U.S. soldiers leaving Iraq, "we owe it to them to continue engaging with the Iraqi government in a way that ensures our hard-fought gains translate into long-term success."

Boehner added: "I'm hopeful that both countries will work together to guarantee that a free and democratic Iraq remains a strong and stable partner for the United States in the Middle East."

I respectfully disagree with the President," McCain said. "This decision will be viewed as a strategic victory for our enemies in the Middle East, especially the Iranian regime, which has worked relentlessly to ensure a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. It is a consequential failure of both the Obama Administration -- which has been more focused on withdrawing from Iraq than succeeding in Iraq since it came into office -- as well as the Iraqi government.

Politics, and in this same article no-one is trying to state that GWB did not set these events into place in 08

GOP slams, Dems praise Obama over Iraq withdrawal - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Those GOP chuckleheads can't seem to get out of their own way.

First of all, the American people want the troops to come home. But let's forget that for the time being.

Leaving our troops in Iraq without legal immunity would be an invitation to an eventual prosecution of one or more American soldiers. What would we do then? Attack the country and its gov't that we claim is the legitimate democracy that we helped create after we liberated them from SH? How nuts is that?

Considering that the Iraqi Gov't doesn't want us there anymore, what better way could there be for the Iraqi gov't to unify the country than to unite against the US occupiers?

ARE U NUTS?

Thats not what they said

let me help

So you disagree with Bush on his withdrawal timetable or is Obama doing the right thing by following it?

Thats not what they said

let me help

Those GOP chuckleheads can't seem to get out of their own way.

First of all, the American people want the troops to come home. But let's forget that for the time being.

Leaving our troops in Iraq without legal immunity would be an invitation to an eventual prosecution of one or more American soldiers. What would we do then? Attack the country and its gov't that we claim is the legitimate democracy that we helped create after we liberated them from SH? How nuts is that?

Considering that the Iraqi Gov't doesn't want us there anymore, what better way could there be for the Iraqi gov't to unify the country than to unite against the US occupiers?

I agree with you
Looks like al of the GOP wheels said about the same with this. I read it as much as covering there butts as any-thing
bottom line it is time to go

We didn't lose or win in Iraq and we won't lose or win in Afghanistan. To claim victory or defeat in either conflicts demonstrates an ignorance of the nature of modern warfare.

The only relevant question about Iraq is: "Was it worth it"?

Everyone has their own opinion.

ARE U NUTS?

Aside from the American soldiers killed in that war, more than 1 million Iraqis died.

Furthermore it destroyed the united state’s overarching strategy in the region which was to let Iran and Iraq threaten and saber rattle at each other while we sat back uninvolved.

Now Iran has no enemy on its border and moreover, has seen how costly it is for us to maintain an occupation on Muslim soil. All Iran’s recourses are focused on us instead of being focused on Iraq.

Furthermore there was no Al-Qaeda presence there before the war, now there is, not to mention numerous other terror groups.

The fact is the war in Iraq was a textbook example of an operation that’s a tactical success but a strategic blunder.

Do you really think we won anything?

I think you men are obsessed with who won and who lost that stupid war in Iraq!!! I don't see how that can be defined. We should never have gone there, stayed way too long, and now we are leaving. Thank God!!! Be happy about it and quit the preoccupation of who won. It doesn't matter. And by the time it's decided, if ever, we'll all probably be dead!!!

Mam That was a mess Saddam created, not us. Where would we be today if that mess would have been left alone?
Besides after the first few weeks we were fighting Al Qaeda for the most part

Those are some fantastic delusions you are adhering too.

ARE U NUTS?

Aside from the American soldiers killed in that war, more than 1 million Iraqis died.

Furthermore it destroyed the united state’s overarching strategy in the region which was to let Iran and Iraq threaten and saber rattle at each other while we sat back uninvolved.

Now Iran has no enemy on its border and moreover, has seen how costly it is for us to maintain an occupation on Muslim soil. All Iran’s recourses are focused on us instead of being focused on Iraq.

Furthermore there was no Al-Qaeda presence there before the war, now there is, not to mention numerous other terror groups.

The fact is the war in Iraq was a textbook example of an operation that’s a tactical success but a strategic blunder.

why the lying?
there was more people murdered in the US than was killed in Iraq during the same time
period
Iraq Body Count project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Al Qaeda was there long before the war
Case Closed | The Weekly Standard
OSAMA BIN LADEN and Saddam Hussein had an operational relationship from the early 1990s to 2003 that involved training in explosives and weapons of mass destruction, logistical support for terrorist attacks, al Qaeda training camps and safe haven in Iraq, and Iraqi financial support for al Qaeda--perhaps even for Mohamed Atta--according to a top secret U.S. government memorandum obtained by THE WEEKLY STANDARD.

The memo, dated October 27, 2003, was sent from Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Douglas J. Feith to Senators Pat Roberts and Jay Rockefeller, the chairman and vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. It was written in response to a request from the committee as part of its investigation into prewar intelligence claims made by the administration. Intelligence reporting included in the 16-page memo comes from a variety of domestic and foreign agencies, including the FBI, the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency, and the National Security Agency. Much of the evidence is detailed, conclusive, and corroborated by multiple sources. Some of it is new information obtained in custodial interviews with high-level al Qaeda terrorists and Iraqi officials, and some of it is more than a decade old. The picture that emerges is one of a history of collaboration between two of America's most determined and dangerous enemies.

We have seen strong but indirect evidence that his organization did in fact play some as yet unknown role in the [June 1996] Khobar [Towers] attack."

"Whether Bin Ladin and his organization had roles in the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center and the thwarted Manila plot to blow up a dozen U.S. commercial aircraft in 1995 remains a matter of substantial uncertainty."

Given the nature of counter-terrorist intelligence, critics might argue that the commission's apparent search for proof that meets the reasonable doubt standard of the U.S. criminal justice system is unreasonable.

Saddam's government was never the world's foremost sponsor of terrorism. Iran and Saudi Arabia far outstripped him in that regard. Nonetheless, that Saddam Hussein actively supported Islamic terrorists has been an article of faith since the Carter administration. Indeed, Iraq was one of the original five states (along with Iran, Libya, Syria and Cuba) on the original "Patterns of Global Terrorism" list compiled by the State Department in 1979. Saddam was a major sponsor of various terrorist groups.

Notably, back in January 2003 and again in March 2004, the NBC Nightly News relayed claims that the Bush administration had "passed up several opportunities to take [Zarqawi] out well before the Iraq war began." The below was first posted on February 29 of this year, and lists some of the relevant reporting on Zarqawi from various sources and countries:

While it is currently conventional wisdom in the media that there was no Al-Qaeda presence in Iraq before the 2003 invasion, as evidenced by the media's failure to correct Barack Obama's recent claim that "there was no such thing as Al-Qaeda in Iraq until George Bush and John McCain decided to invade Iraq," for several years dating back before the Iraq invasion, there have been media reports of former Al-Qaeda in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's connections to Osama bin Laden, and his use of Iraq as a base to plot terror attacks against other countries before the war. In fact, four years ago, the NBC Nightly News claimed not only that there was an Al-Qaeda presence in Iraq before the invasion, busy plotting attacks against Europe, but that the Bush administration intentionally "passed up several opportunities" to attack terrorist bases in Iraq "long before the war" in 2002 because of fear it would "undercut its case" for overthrowing Saddam Hussein. (Transcripts follow)

On the March 2, 2004 NBC Nightly News, Tom Brokaw introduced the report: "[Abu Musab al-Zarqawi] is widely believed to have ties to Al-Qaeda, and the Bush administration apparently passed up several opportunities to take him out well before the Iraq war began."

And on the January 27, 2003 NBC Nightly News, after revelations of a plot to attack targets in Europe with the poison ricin, which was believed to have been hatched by Zarqawi in Iraq, correspondent Jim Miklaszewski reported that "U.S. Special Forces had plans to launch a covert raid against the Kirmadara complex [in northern Iraq], but Pentagon officials say it was called off because the Bush administration feared it would interfere with upcoming UN weapon inspections."

Although some have tried to argue that Zarqawi did not declare allegiance to bin Laden's Al-Qaeda organization until after the Iraq invasion, as far back as April 4 and May 16, 2001, AP's Jamal Halaby reported that Jordanian authorities suspected Zarqawi, also known as Ahmad Fadeel Al-Khalayleh, of plotting attacks in Jordan, and relayed that Zarqawi was "believed to be in Afghanistan."

Read more: Media Fail to Correct Obama

you sure you want to keep doing this?

ARE U NUTS?

You assume al Qaeda wasn't there.

The evidence proves otherwise, however the presence of al Qaeda by itself does not delegitimize the war simply because al Qaeda is only one of a multitude of terrorist groups. Bush stated that not only terrorists but their supporters would be considered under the same umbrella. He spelled it out clearly, but the left successfully muddied the waters and narrowed the issue changing the focus from all guilty parties to only al Qaeda members. This short-sighted rhetoric is intentional.

My goal is to stop all of what you just described I can. Its like 8537 stated today that the 6 million jobs we have lost sense 08 has something to do with it being a U3 rate or a U6 rate

really?

they do this, and some are not only good, they get paid to do it, to get you arguing about events that have nothing to do with the facts, before you know it your talking about what a U-3 rate really is and Al Qaeda being ignored because the UN had jurisdiction in the US over our congress

ARE U NUTS?

The evidence proves otherwise, however the presence of al Qaeda by itself does not delegitimize the war simply because al Qaeda is only one of a multitude of terrorist groups. Bush stated that not only terrorists but their supporters would be considered under the same umbrella. He spelled it out clearly, but the left successfully muddied the waters and narrowed the issue changing the focus from all guilty parties to only al Qaeda members. This short-sighted rhetoric is intentional.

Typcial BS. President Bush singled out terrorist groups that had a world wide reach and their supporters. Clearly the April 1, 2001 threat assessment would have mentioned al Queda in Iraq. In fact the only al Queda cell was operating in the protected Kurdish area. Iraq did lend support to group operating in Palestine and Iran but they did not recieve any advanced weapons Iraq had.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB55/patterns.pdf

Furthermore it destroyed the united state&#8217;s overarching strategy in the region which was to let Iran and Iraq threaten and saber rattle at each other while we sat back uninvolved.

Now Iran has no enemy on its border and moreover, has seen how costly it is for us to maintain an occupation on Muslim soil. All Iran&#8217;s recourses are focused on us instead of being focused on Iraq.

The fact is the war in Iraq was a textbook example of an operation that&#8217;s a tactical success but a strategic blunder.

Typcial BS. President Bush singled out terrorist groups that had a world wide reach and their supporters. Clearly the April 1, 2001 threat assessment would have mentioned al Queda in Iraq. In fact the only al Queda cell was operating in the protected Kurdish area. Iraq did lend support to group operating in Palestine and Iran but they did not recieve any advanced weapons Iraq had.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB55/patterns.pdf

We can trim around the edges all day long, and you point is taken. We went to war with Iraq for one reason, to rid the world of Saddam Hussein
We went to Afghanistan to rid the world of OBL.

We can debate whether it was right or wrong for years. You have to decide is the world a safer place? where would we be now with Iraq if Saddam was still there?
GWB (as I have) took all the information he had prior to 3-2003 and decided with the blessing of congress to attack after Blixes speech 1-27-2003

Right or wrong, that is really all there is to it
Every-thing else is window dressing

Last edited:
Bush himself acknowledged there was no Al-Qaeda threat in Iraq prior to 2003, odd that his supporters make so much effort to call him a liar.

Bush himself acknowledged there was no Al-Qaeda threat in Iraq prior to 2003, odd that his supporters make so much effort to call him a liar.

what was he suppose to do publicly?
Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
privately?
The Weekly Standard reports that, before the invasion of Iraq, Zarqawi ran a "terrorist haven" in Kurdish northern Iraq.[36] According to a March 2003 British intelligence report, Zarqawi had set up "sleeper cells" in Baghdad before the Iraq war. The report stated "Reporting since (February) suggests that senior al Qaeda associate Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has established sleeper cells in Baghdad, to be activated during a U.S. occupation of the city...These cells apparently intend to attack U.S. targets using car bombs and other weapons. (It is also possible that they have received [chemical and biological] materials from terrorists in the [Kurdish Autonomous Zone]),...al Qaeda-associated terrorists continued to arrive in Baghdad in early March."[37]
In May 2004, a video appeared on an alleged al-Qaeda website showing a group of five men, their faces covered with keffiyeh or balaclavas, beheading American civilian Nicholas Berg, who had been abducted and taken hostage in Iraq weeks earlier. The CIA claimed that the speaker on the tape wielding the knife that killed Berg was al-Zarqawi. The video opens with the title "Abu Musa'b al-Zarqawi slaughters an American." The speaker states that the murder was in retaliation for US abuses at the Abu Ghraib prison (see Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal).[38] Following the death of al-Zarqawi, CNN spoke with Nicholas's father and long-time anti-war activist Michael Berg, who stated that al-Zarqawi's killing would lead to further vengeance and was not a cause for rejoicing.[39]
Zarqawi is also believed to have personally beheaded another American civilian, Olin Eugene Armstrong, in September 2004.[40]
United States officials implicated Zarqawi in over 700 killings in Iraq during the invasion, mostly from bombings.[41] Since March 2004, that number rose to the thousands.[42] According to the United States State Department, Zarqawi was responsible for the Canal Hotel bombing of the United Nations Headquarters in Iraq on August 19, 2003. This attack killed twenty-two people, including the United Nations secretary general's special Iraqi envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello.[43] Zarqawi's biggest alleged atrocities in Iraq included the attacks on the Shia shrines in Karbala and Baghdad in March 2004, which killed over 180 people, and the car bomb attacks in Najaf and Karbala in December 2004, which claimed over 60 lives.[44] Zarqawi is believed by the former Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq to have written an intercepted letter to the al-Qaeda leadership in February 2004 on the progress of the "Iraqi jihad." However, al-Qaeda denied they had written the letter.[45] The U.S. military believes Zarqawi organized the February 2006 attack on the Al Askari Mosque in Samarra, in an attempt to trigger sectarian violence between Sunnis and Shi'ites in Iraq.[46]

privately?
The Weekly Standard reports that, before the invasion of Iraq, Zarqawi ran a "terrorist haven" in Kurdish northern Iraq.[36] According to a March 2003 British intelligence report, Zarqawi had set up "sleeper cells" in Baghdad before the Iraq war. The report stated "Reporting since (February) suggests that senior al Qaeda associate Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has established sleeper cells in Baghdad, to be activated during a U.S. occupation of the city...These cells apparently intend to attack U.S. targets using car bombs and other weapons. (It is also possible that they have received [chemical and biological] materials from terrorists in the [Kurdish Autonomous Zone]),...al Qaeda-associated terrorists continued to arrive in Baghdad in early March."[37]
In May 2004, a video appeared on an alleged al-Qaeda website showing a group of five men, their faces covered with keffiyeh or balaclavas, beheading American civilian Nicholas Berg, who had been abducted and taken hostage in Iraq weeks earlier. The CIA claimed that the speaker on the tape wielding the knife that killed Berg was al-Zarqawi. The video opens with the title "Abu Musa'b al-Zarqawi slaughters an American." The speaker states that the murder was in retaliation for US abuses at the Abu Ghraib prison (see Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal).[38] Following the death of al-Zarqawi, CNN spoke with Nicholas's father and long-time anti-war activist Michael Berg, who stated that al-Zarqawi's killing would lead to further vengeance and was not a cause for rejoicing.[39]
Zarqawi is also believed to have personally beheaded another American civilian, Olin Eugene Armstrong, in September 2004.[40]
United States officials implicated Zarqawi in over 700 killings in Iraq during the invasion, mostly from bombings.[41] Since March 2004, that number rose to the thousands.[42] According to the United States State Department, Zarqawi was responsible for the Canal Hotel bombing of the United Nations Headquarters in Iraq on August 19, 2003. This attack killed twenty-two people, including the United Nations secretary general's special Iraqi envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello.[43] Zarqawi's biggest alleged atrocities in Iraq included the attacks on the Shia shrines in Karbala and Baghdad in March 2004, which killed over 180 people, and the car bomb attacks in Najaf and Karbala in December 2004, which claimed over 60 lives.[44] Zarqawi is believed by the former Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq to have written an intercepted letter to the al-Qaeda leadership in February 2004 on the progress of the "Iraqi jihad." However, al-Qaeda denied they had written the letter.[45] The U.S. military believes Zarqawi organized the February 2006 attack on the Al Askari Mosque in Samarra, in an attempt to trigger sectarian violence between Sunnis and Shi'ites in Iraq.[46]

You're providing proof of them being there after we started a war. Of course Al-Qaeda are going to follow U.S. soldiers.

I said BEFORE 2003.

But you think Al-Qaeda was big in Iraq before 2003, Bush says the opposite, so to you Bush is lying. Why did he lie in your opinion?

privately?

You're providing proof of them being there after we started a war. Of course Al-Qaeda are going to follow U.S. soldiers.

I said BEFORE 2003.

But you think Al-Qaeda was big in Iraq before 2003, Bush says the opposite, so to you Bush is lying. Why did he lie in your opinion?

would you let some-one know you want to bomb into 1000 pieces you know where is?

privately?

I said BEFORE 2003.

would you let some-one know you want to bomb into 1000 pieces you know where is?

He said this in December of 2008.

Bush Admits No Al-Qaeda in Pre-Occupation Iraq - Hal_M - Open Salon

That site has a link to the interview.

I said BEFORE 2003.

I have not tried to deny it
In the defense of this country I would suspect there have been many lies told

I have not tried to deny it
In the defense of this country I would suspect there have been many lies told

So he lied to a reporter about Al-Qaeda not being in Iraq, when he "knew" they were, all out of defense for the United States?

Okie dokie :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back