Is it fair that Asians make their children ...

What part of children in China did you not understand?

On the contrary, I understood more than, it seems, you did.

Since the OP was about the Amy Chua book, an Asian-American, and the manner in which she raised her American-Asian children...the topic of many blogs and posts....surprised that you misunderstood that....I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Clearly you didn't deserve said benefit.
Maybe instead of criticizing me, you should criticize the OP for his lack of clarity. He mentioned no book but he did mention Asians and Chinese but not Americans.

Sorry I don't have your super mind reading capabilities. :lol:

there have been a few articles lately about Chinese moms who force their kids to do well at school, practise musical intruments, work in the family business, bring honour to the family, etc. is this a good thing or a bad thing? is it just cultural? does it work? is it fair to other children who dont get the same treatment from their parents?

Man that is just so wrong, how can they be so curel to their children?
They should just let their children scrape by in school, and lay on the couch and watch TV while eating Micky Dee's and little debbies. And then play on the net till 2am each night.
Then buy them a new car when they get their liscence, pay for them to take 6 years to get thru college and then let them move back in with the kids when they get divorced.

Who raises their kids like that? and by the way in most countries living with your parents is not considered a bad thing, only in America people look down on that.

the point is they moved back in with the parents not out of preference, but because they failed and to get free babysitting while they have fun.

They should just let their children scrape by in school, and lay on the couch and watch TV while eating Micky Dee's and little debbies. And then play on the net till 2am each night.
Then buy them a new car when they get their liscence, pay for them to take 6 years to get thru college and then let them move back in with the kids when they get divorced.

Who raises their kids like that? and by the way in most countries living with your parents is not considered a bad thing, only in America people look down on that.

the point is they moved back in with the parents not out of preference, but because they failed and to get free babysitting while they have fun.

Whos doing that? not everyone has parents they can run to when they get into financial troubles.

What part of children in China did you not understand?

Since the OP was about the Amy Chua book, an Asian-American, and the manner in which she raised her American-Asian children...the topic of many blogs and posts....surprised that you misunderstood that....I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe instead of criticizing me, you should criticize the OP for his lack of clarity. He mentioned no book but he did mention Asians and Chinese but not Americans.

Point taken.

But I didn't see "... What part of children in China did you not understand?[/quote]"
as a compliment.

Sounded more like Professor Chua disciplining her kids.

there have been a few articles lately about Chinese moms who force their kids to do well at school, practise musical intruments, work in the family business, bring honour to the family, etc. is this a good thing or a bad thing? is it just cultural? does it work? is it fair to other children who dont get the same treatment from their parents?

You know, sometimes I forget how funny you can be....

Point taken.

But I didn't see "... What part of children in China did you not understand?
as a compliment.

Sounded more like Professor Chua disciplining her kids.
Go to your room, young lady!

More people should push their kids to become accomplished.

People have to perform to succeed we in this country tell our kids that they are all just wonderful that everyone gets a trophy and no one is a loser.

That's the wrong way to parent.

I would suggest that it's UNFAIR that more Caucasian, Hispanic, and Afro-American parents DON'T push their children in similar ways. Well, I would if I felt that fairness had any place in the world, which I don't.

It has nothing to do with fairness. any caring parent would want the best for their children. this includes excelling in school or anything else that would help to mold them to be independent, successful adults. the proof is in the pudding. asians in general, not only chinese, have the highest college enrollments compared to any other ethnic group, less pre-teen pregnancies and asians commit the least crime in this country. so they must be doing something right.

:lol:

You know very little about Chinese gangs..and that's how they like it. Teen Pregnancies? Gosh, look around you. Look at the make up of the world. How many chinese people are in it?

Generally, however, this sort of parenting yields offspring which are able to excell at some things are do poor at others. Like being good at math..but terrible at innovation and interpersonal relationships.

It has nothing to do with fairness. any caring parent would want the best for their children. this includes excelling in school or anything else that would help to mold them to be independent, successful adults. the proof is in the pudding. asians in general, not only chinese, have the highest college enrollments compared to any other ethnic group, less pre-teen pregnancies and asians commit the least crime in this country. so they must be doing something right.

You know very little about Chinese gangs..and that's how they like it. Teen Pregnancies? Gosh, look around you. Look at the make up of the world. How many chinese people are in it?

Generally, however, this sort of parenting yields offspring which are able to excell at some things are do poor at others. Like being good at math..but terrible at innovation and interpersonal relationships.

Thats what I heard, the Chinese are excellent at taking tests and math, but when it comes to being creative, working on projects and interracting with people it leaves something to be desired.

Whos doing that? not everyone has parents they can run to when they get into financial troubles.

Many are doing that, it has been a growing trend for a few decades.

I have seen that kind of conclusion, "...able to excell at some things are do poor at others...", but isn't than true about most humans....

you and I being the exceptions, of course.

On the other hand, when one considers Japanese electronics products,....

Good thing.

I have seen that kind of conclusion, "...able to excell at some things are do poor at others...", but isn't than true about most humans....

you and I being the exceptions, of course.

On the other hand, when one considers Japanese electronics products,....

I, personally, do not have a problem with this sort of parenting.

Asians have the highest IQ,s and lowest testosterone levels on average.

Asians are more introverted by nature, which may be interpreted by brash Americans to be poor interpersonal skills, but its really just a difference in personality style. Studies show Asians to rank lowest on the scale of extroversion among the races. Asians like orderliness, continuity, similitude. They generally don't like thinking outside the box or breaking the mold, which is why they are not driven to innovate. Nothing to do with parenting really.

That's what made America/America.Not to be confused with murka--The Nation formerly known as the US of A.
That's why China is moving forward and you are moving backward.Your little fat brats get free run everywhere they go. Out of control in the streets, in school and there's not a thing you can do about it.
Why ? You voted for it.

I remember getting my ass kicked by everyone from coaches to principles and a repeat at home. I cut grass, split wood, painted, weeded the garden,cleaned the garage (every weekend) changed the oil in the car and what was my allowance ?
I was allowed to go do my paper route and EARN money and allowed to stay up late and do my homework.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back